S

Sebberi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
Hello everyone.
Im new to the site, and wants to start a discussion on books.

Ive been playing poker a couple years now, and i have won some.
But unfortunately ive lost a little more.

So now i want to up my game!!

What books would you guys recommend as the first book i read?
What is a must read?
Maybe a top 3 list? - and why?

Thanks alot, and im loving the community of cardchat!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually I think, books are a little outdated or at least oldfashioned as a way to learn poker. For a long time training sites and training videos have been the main way for poker players to learn and study. If you play tournaments, I recommend starting with the CC 30 day course. There is an ebook, but at least for me more importantly a series of videos, that you can find on CCs Youtube channel. Some concepts from the course can also be used in cash games, but it is mainly targeted at tournaments, since this is, what the authors have always played themselfes.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey, I've tried reading poker books, but they all talk about a slightly different "old poker". Now people play differently, and this information will not be entirely accurate.
Still, Roy Rounder's "Easy Poker Math" can be quite useful, and it's short and easy to read.)

S

Sebberi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
Actually I think, books are a little outdated or at least oldfashioned as a way to learn poker. For a long time training sites and training videos have been the main way for poker players to learn and study. If you play tournaments, I recommend starting with the CC 30 day course. There is an ebook, but at least for me more importantly a series of videos, that you can find on CCs Youtube channel. Some concepts from the course can also be used in cash games, but it is mainly targeted at tournaments, since this is, what the authors have always played themselfes.
Thanks for reply!

Im doing the CC30 day course right now.

do you have any other sites or video that is worth looking into when im done with this?
the ones i can find is really shallow...

S

Sebberi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
Hey, I've tried reading poker books, but they all talk about a slightly different "old poker". Now people play differently, and this information will not be entirely accurate.
Still, Roy Rounder's "Easy Poker Math" can be quite useful, and it's short and easy to read.)
Thanks for reply!

Il most deff buy the "easy poker math"!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
welcome to the forum glad you liked the forum and fell in love. You should probably start with the simplest training videos that you can find on our forum also on YouTube and improve your poker level a little

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No book can show you how to play, but valuable advice remains and gives you some experience. The real book is the player and his decisions.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books like supersystem and Dan Harringtons and Daniels ( on small ball poker ) can help you with the groundworks the basics of poker ... then you move to trainings sites or maybe watch a load on youtube, but starting with the CC 30 days makes good sense.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrigton on hold em vol 1 - 2 3 is just a hand replayer.. you can also try drive hud 2 and load past tournament in replayer and study your own games

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone.
Im new to the site, and wants to start a discussion on books.

Ive been playing poker a couple years now, and i have won some.
But unfortunately ive lost a little more.

So now i want to up my game!!

What books would you guys recommend as the first book i read?
What is a must read?
Maybe a top 3 list? - and why?

Thanks alot, and im loving the community of cardchat!
Hi. Welcome to our community.
This is a short list of books that I think are the most useful and deserve the attention of every player.
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your level and what game you want to play.

The key point I'll make is you should get a book for the level you're playing at and the book is somewhat entertaining. Getting some book that's on some advanced math or GTO isn't the way to go if you're playing freerolls and microlimits cash or tourns.

Years ago I played stud and thought if I bought Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players that it would magically turn me into a better player, lol.
Wrong.

I didn't have the skill or patience to understand the concepts and it felt like it was written like a technical manual with some chapters being like 30 pages long which I had zero interest in reading. That one sat on the shelf then in a box for awhile.

I went to another book to "relearn" the basics THEN I went to the advanced book while studying poker problem hands and looked for the solutions or guidance in that book. I didn't just read a chapter but thought about hands and looked for better ways to deal with situations from that book. And I really worked with the material.

And even after getting the knowledge and patience to understand the Advanced book, it stil took me 2-3 years to fully understand the advanced book and I played a lot of stud hands, a lot. So don't expect a book or a video or something to magically transform your game.

My point is, don't run out and get what some pro or guru is selling you or what a bunch of folks are suggesting without questioning if it fits your skill level, the game you want to play and at what level you want to play.

Im not going to guess your skill level but assume you want to get a better understanding of the mirco/small limits of NL holdem. The most relevant book Ive read recently was Master micro stakes poker by Hardin.

He'll start you off as a beginner and I'm pretty sure he has important terms in a bubbles and there's also a term glossary in the back and goes over position, basic math and what type of player you should expect to find at that level and how to deal with them and lots of things to watch out for playing nl holdem.

Im pretty sure I suggested it a few months on the site when they were practically giving it away or it was uber cheap but I don't know what it is now.

An alternative would be as some suggested: the Cardschat 30 day course that will get you introduced to the basics, the lingo, math and such and its free. On youtube, there is the wsop Academy that's still available that are quick short instructional vids and give you the same basics as the 30 day course but won't go over the software that online players use so the 30 day will help you with that or at least introduce you to the poker software aids.

Whatever you decide, just work with the material and actively think about the situations and the advice because that stuff might not work for your demeanor/style or who you are playing.

Anyway, yeah, just don't get some GTO book, advanced math stuff or it might end up on your shelf like my Advanced Stud Poker book did.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thoroughly disagree. I like books because you can highlight things and refer back to them. Much more useful than videos IMO. Nothing beats experience though.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing beats experience though.
Or at least nothing can replace experience. People doing a lot of studying but very little playing run the risk of getting good at talking about poker but not at actually playing it. So its important to find some balance between study time and playing time, and for people new to the game I would actually lean towards putting more emphasis on playing, than a lot of people do. I think, its easier to relate to certain situations in a book/course/video, if you have been in similar situations yourself many times.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The "classic" books are very outdated now. If you try to implement a Dan Harrington book, you're likely to get crushed at pretty much any level of poker because today's players are much more aggressive and will just run you over.

There are a number of books out there though that I think are very relevant. Below are just a few that I would recommend, or have been recommended to me:
Purposeful Practice for Poker by Gareth James and Dr Tricia Cardner
The Myth of Poker Talent by Alex Fitzgerald
Pretty much anything by Jonathan Little*
Mental Game of Poker 1&2 by Jared Tendler and Barry Carter*
PKO poker strategy by Dara O'Kearney and Barry Carter
Modern Poker Theory by Micheal Acevedo*

*I haven't read these books, but have been recommended by players who's opinions I respect.

The trouble I find with books is I often struggle to process what they are actually saying; I read the words, but don't take on board what they mean or are trying to tell me. I find it much easier to absorb information via a video and making notes and there is scientific evidence that the majority of people retain more information from videos than they do from reading. But everyone is different, so everyone needs to figure out the best way that they learn and then focus on that method.