Leave work to play poker!!

Jean le Grand

Jean le Grand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chase your dreams. In this case only because you can have your job back in case you might fail in poker.

Emixilian

Emixilian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
naitutreaba i think you can go for it ! 700$ bankroll in Romania is a lot .If you can make 400-500$ per month in my opinion you ll handle . Best regards !

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont do it.

Play evenings (which is the best time to play anyway) and make extra money.

Unless you are a top poker player living the Vegas dream, its not as glamorous as you think.

qkamara6ina

qkamara6ina

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Add AT LEAST another zero to that BR and then maybe consider it. But honestly, you should have more like 30k+. Even if your expenses are low... $700? mmmm

My friend not everyone can afford those amounts 30k+ you say it like it's nothing, even a people without a lot of money should can start from anywhere, right? I wish him luck i would try it too.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friend not everyone can afford those amounts 30k+ you say it like it's nothing, even a people without a lot of money should can start from anywhere, right? I wish him luck i would try it too.

Yes, and if they can't afford it, then they shouldn't be considering quitting their job and becoming a professional. That's just the bottom line. I think everyone in this thread wants OP to succeed, but that is a recipe for failure. I've played online over 12 years, and 4 as a pro as my only income supporting a wife and 2 children. I know full well all of the ups and downs of being a professional player.

You need to take your living expenses you need every month, and X that by 12 to have a baseline bankroll to becoming a professional. What OP is asking is equivalent to, "hey, I want to catch sharks for a living, do you think taking this rock with me and some fins, I'll be able to catch some sharks."

ummm... maybe, if you're ubber lucky.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To quit the job for the sake of poker you need to be able to play no worse than starting out in their time Negreanu. Otherwise, you will lose a job in poker earnings you will not see a long time.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
700.00 bucks is no where near enough to stop working your job to play poker-ive seen ppl lose more than that in one hand playing live-i would suggest thinking it thru-covering every possible outcome-we dont plan to fail-we fail to plan

kostataa

kostataa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you to keep the job and use it as motivation to play harder poker if u really want to go pro with that.To go pro u will need ur bankroll atleast 20k$ i promise you and make ur bankroll management solid with 700$ play like 3.30$ mtts and up to 7$ 45 man SnG and i believe if u put in hard work in 1 year u can achieve that 20k$ profits good luck at the tables my friend you can do it as long as you really want it ;)

P

Pablo24A

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a risky choice, money games can destroy your mind if you become addicted. You may see poker like the opportunity of yout life, but thats almost a dream.

However, if you can go back at work and you are strong minded you could try, but definitely you have to be careful

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, make sure you can put in good volume for at least a month.

also, you'll need more than a $700 bankroll if you're to make a living.

S

Streethawk71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit my job this year - not to play poker as a pro I hasten to add, but to work as a consultant doing professional assignments for agencies - the money per job isn't great but if I work like a horse I can earn the same in 6 months as I used to in a year of sitting in an office watching my soul die.

Before I did this I knew I had to prove to myself that I could do it because I'm quite a risk-averse person but also I know how important it is to believe in myself.
So I went part-time at work and did agency assignments alongside my usual day job. I kept track of my cashflow and how long I spent working for the money so that I could analyse my earnings.
Once I suspected it to be possible, I booked two weeks off work and just acted like I had already quit; I threw myself into the new task like my livelihood depended on it and took as many bookings as I could.
Finally, I went to that person I trust who knows me better than anyone else and explained everything, answering every question and finally ask them whether they think you can do it. Belief in yourself is great but you need reassurance too and although they won't know the ins and outs of your venture as well as you do, they'll know you well enough to understand whether you believe what you're telling them or are just deluding yourself. Think hard about who to ask - who do you trust to be objective?

Once I'd already decided to leave my local govt. job and started telling my plans to people there almost every one was sceptical along the lines of "what if it goes wrong" or simply "you get paid every month here why would you leave that".
What if it does go wrong? Have a plan C, and a plan D...
And as for their other comment - you only have one go at life on earth. I really want to spend 50% of my waking time at a desk in a stinking office to be able to retire once I'm too damn old to enjoy it properly?

Your position seems very similar - you think your plan might work for you and have an opportunity to try it out without taking the ultimate plunge. So try it, but you have to act like it's the only chance you'll ever get and give it 100% or you can't really know if it will work out.
Try it. Do the same things. Analyse your income and see whether it's possible to win enough per hour on average to both bring in your current salary AND grow your bankroll or are there simply not enough hours in the day.
If the figures still say to you that it is possible then trial it for as long as you need to to prove it to yourself one way or another - and do it safely with the monthly living expenses already in another account and a way back in to your job if you need to go back (plan C). Be utterly honest with yourself, because you don't want to be explaining your plan to the bailiff as he empties your flat in a year's time.
A lot of people will tell you that you can't do it and you're the only one who can tell you for certain that you CAN.

I've waffled a lot, sorry.
One last point - Don't ignore all the advice out there on BRM.
If a pro is meant to have a BR of 100x BI, $700 has you playing $5 poker by my reckoning or maybe lower (I'm not a poker pro!) . How many BB do you have to earn in every hour to cover your expenses and grow the BR?
Is this level feasible? - if you don't know then you need to be asking that question... if it isn't then you're only giving yourself the opportunity to fail - can you wait, grow the BR and give yourself the chance to succeed?

L

LalaBliss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a friend that plays poker for a living, but I'd advice you to have poker as a backup plan. It's not such a good idea to leave work and play poker instead. Also, $700 is not a lot of money. I think you should continue playing poker when working hours are over like a hobby. If you start making way more money on poker then you should consider leaving work. Good luck! :)