Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi everyone, in your opinion, what is the best way to learn poker besides playing it? Videos, books etc

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In general I don't know..... I always thought reading about poker would be so dry.... BUT before I play a new tournament or variation I will watch a bunch of hands to get the vibe for the game being played....

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Experience is still the best teacher IMO, record & study your hands, how one plays is much more important than your results, especially starting out. Many sources of information on the internet, try to find someone who advocates a style of play you are comfortable with at least at first. For instance should you be an action junkie, trying to play really tight probably isn't going to work until you figure out for yourself that folding a hand isn't an indictment of your manhood, or womanhood. So study someone who teaches a more loose aggressive style. Mostly keep in mind that if you use decent bank roll management & pay attention to what you are trying to accomplish you will get better. In poker it's the journey not the destination that matters.
That ought to be enough platitudes & cliches to get you started, good luck & enjoy.

Z

ZefaPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think books are a bit outdated.

From my experience as a professional, I would say the 5 best sources to grow as a poker player are:

1.) Experience (nothing beats doing)
2.) Training sites (investing in a training site like runitonce skyrocketed my game)
3.) Active hand discussions online or with friends
4.) Study away from the table, even practicing using just calculators like PPTOddsoracle, not necessarily solvers like PIO
5.) Coaching... this one is kind of hit or miss though.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It helps me a lot to see how the pros play on twitch, I really like to see and understand their reasoning and I have improved my game a lot with it, but there are many more things to learn, videos, hand analysis, ranges, etc.:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, in your opinion, what is the best way to learn poker besides playing it? Videos, books etc
It seems to me that books about poker are irrelevant now, in my case, watching videos with professionals where they talk about their hands and I begin to understand his actions and logic help me the most! And of course more games that bring you an experience that can not be replaced! Good luck at the tables!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Experience is the most important thing.
Reading a book is just for peace of mind.

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Start with freerolls. Plenty of them. Continue to play, and don't get discouraged if things don't pan out quickly it does take time. I play daily and believe me I don't see a lot of final tables, but I place in the money enough to return the next and try again.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
videos and books are an excellent way, in addition of course to make reviews of your hands looking to correct flaws:cool::D:D

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You could use a pay service like Advanced Poker Training or PokerSnowie to advise and practice certain hands/situations.

Advanced Poker Training is old school poker and will make you focus on learning starting hands and situational poker against bots. It will rank your play so you know where you are and give instructions on how to improve.

It will track your play like your win rate with certain hands so you can find out what hands you have trouble playing. You can tell it to play Tens from UTG or the CO or wherever and every hand you play you'll be dealt a pair of tens to practice and it will store your results. But it will not advise you to play questionable hands like Poker Snowie does.

They're both good products that will help you but the best thing to do is to study a particular weak spot in your game then set it up in one of the programs.

So they're really good but very expensive. ATP used to have a lifetime membership for like $500 now that only gives you 4 years which isn't bad for about a Netflix bill at that rate but the bots get bland after awhile. Don't get me wrong they're not bad and will keep you on your toes especially beginners but after awhile you will know when to fold and when to shove on them.

And the point isn't to beat them but to understand what they're trying to do and work on strategies to counter them but that a another for another discussion.

Look into those two sites and I think both sites will give you your money back if you hate them I think you have 2 weeks to cancel but not sure so send them an email. If you want to try them there might be a code for a discount on the web so you dont have to pay their high monthly fees.

If you were going to take the money and deposit into a poker site and you're a beginner then I would advise you to take the money and put it into one of these sites and play the AI and bots instead of messing with the poker sites or playing live.

GL

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Study in a group with people of slightly different levels than yours, so you will evolve faster.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here at CardsChat you'll find everything you need to learn more about how to excel at poker. The material available here is very plentiful.