Is it worth it to pay attention to how much time an opponent takes to act?

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I knew which of my opponents thought it was in any way relevant :D just so I can screw with them hahaha

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don´t need to have a watch to time him. However, If he´s a player that takes his time to think, and suddenly plays really quick a hand, it might mean that he have something really good. This thought also applies to a quicker player who takes a lot of time at a specific hand. Be alert. Pay attention at it will pay you.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Important if the value is the fact how long the opponent thinks before making a move? You look at this factor? and what information it gives you about your opponent?

No. Becase lot of players are multitabling. So eg if they react slow, they just pay attention to an other table. ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, it is a useful tell, although sometimes there are extraneous reasons for a long period of time being used, and some players try to fake it.
agreed ^
how long they take is meaningless as far as tells go.
I find there are actually quite a few spots where timing tells 'can' be quite useful. (I'd post a bunch of situations here (MTT) but then that'd be kinda -ev I'd think)
I think how long it takes a person to act can give you valuable information, but it is not accurate for every situation. Sometimes people are multi-tabling, so you never know if they are taking a long time because they are just on another table making a decision. So I would say don't always rely on this as a tell.
agreed ^
but also, it's not too difficult to see if someone is multi-tabling (or is a 'multi-tabler') ie. do a player search (not always reliable as they could be playing on 'multi-sites' too), or you could check game stat sites to see what kind of volume they are typically playing on a given day

It's opponent- and situation-dependent.

Although not necessarily a huge indicator by any means but in some spots vs. some players it can be one more tool at your disposal. To completely exclude it I think is a mistake.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Becase lot of players are multitabling. So eg if they react slow, they just pay attention to an other table. ;)

Agree !
Im focus on the hand that I have and how i will play it .

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than betsizing, timing tells are probably the most important piece of information you can gather from a player's actions in hand.

Poker is a game of information. If you're not using available information then you are handicapping yourself.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
People tend to reverse time tell as a deception, relying on time tells is in my opinion a leak.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People tend to reverse time tell as a deception, relying on time tells is in my opinion a leak.

Information comes from multiple sources, you should be aware but not solely rely on timing. Just need to consider it among with bet sizing, player stats, etc.

In my opinion, timing is more prevalent in live games since some people like to ponder over big decisions.

O

Oskark22

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i do take a longer time to answear on turn and river just for the sake of it and whenever a player takes to long to check/raise the pot then i start to think that he has a better hand than me..