Is it possible to live exclusively from poker?

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How did you manage to live exclusively from poker? How often do you play poker online or offline?

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think that there are very few of them, and maybe not at all.:)

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
to live exclusively by poker, you need to have a bankroll of at least 10 thousand dollars, then there is a chance

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How did you manage to live exclusively from poker? How often do you play poker online or offline?
Hi.
Poker is a hobby for me. And while poker makes me money, it's still not enough to pay the bills. I have been playing poker for 7-8 years and I play primarily for the sake of the game itself.
Good luck.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It must be very hard to have the support of your family and equip yourself to play several hours a day, but I congratulate those who can.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well most pros and streamers do it, I think with a combination of of streaming, rake-backs, perhaps posting on YouTube can make a very big difference from living of poker! in This case my personal opinion says YES! this is very possible specially if you are a winning player in your category/level.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Completely possible, just dedicate yourself enough for it.

In poker, it will probably be many, many hours, in different games, every day for years.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't live from poker, I just play for fun and to win some extra money. But I think it's possible to live from poker, specially depending on where you live. But you need to have dedication, discipline and a good poker mental. I play 99% online and almost everyday, but I have more time to play on the weekends.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think so. I don’t think you should rely on poker as a consistent source of income. Unless you are sponsored by a poker site and their algorithm favours you. 😊🕺

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Totally agree with the above response. If you don't have rakeback and a sponsor, not a chance. Best to quit when you are ahead because rake will catch up to you. Seen it so many times. Players sit down with a bankroll, one by one they leave the table empty handed, and finally the last player leaves with about 10 pct of what they started out with. Why, because the only guaranteed winner is the house. You play enough hands and the only one still sitting with money is always the dealer.

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's certainly possible. It's a grind though and you need to have a bankroll. If you are developing that from nothing it will take some time and experience. Players are a lot better now than they were 30 years ago. It also depends on what you consider good living conditions.

Certainly the top pros make a ton of cash. There are many of poker pros who get by on relatively small annual incomes but who pick situations that work for them. I live in Thailand for example, prices here are far cheaper than in Western countries (I'm an American). Depending on where you live you can get by on smaller profit margins because the cost of living is lower.

There are plenty of poker pros who may just be showing small return on investments from poker itself, but who are making money from poker from youtube, twitch, sponsorships, rakeback, or by accentuating their margins through membership rewards. Before pokerstars got bought out and butchered their system, the old FPP rankings system could be quite profitable. Some rooms are a lot softer than others. But in the end I think if you want to play professionally, you have to be ready to grind out profits from small margins over long periods of time while being disciplined with your bankroll management, which is a lot easier said than done. That isn't for everyone.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
poker is a hobby for me and a little money from my main job because poker takes a lot of time and money to live poker, which I don't have right now if I were only doing poker, I think there are very few such people

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Absolutely someone can do this but they are few and far i between. The problem is there are some many complexity’s that can and could make it impossible for most poker players. As for me, I play for the enjoyment and love of the game.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I really don't know. But I will investigate for myself. For now I don't believe to much on people on YouTube who shows their success lives. just because their need followers and students. I think is much better to know if is posible or not to live from poker if you personally know a player who actually does. I do not know personally any poker player who can actually demostrate that he lives just of play poker.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't know. But I will investigate for myself. For now I don't believe to much on people on YouTube who shows their success lives. just because their need followers and students. I think is much better to know if is posible or not to live from poker if you personally know a player who actually does. I do not know personally any poker player who can actually demostrate that he lives just of play poker.
It's definitely difficult to do, and while there are plenty of pros doing so, a lot of them DO utilize coaching, YouTube, or other avenues to supplement their income.

For most people it's borderline unhealthy to ONLY play poker for a living. In my opinion it's a sign of a successful poker player if they are supplementing their income through other means - particularly if those other means are something totally outside of poker. (Not coaching/youtube, but investing, or a business, for example.)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Live from poker or to poker, I can not complain, my wife supports, she accompanies me when I go to a poker house, is happy when I win and comments on my mistakes when I am defeated by anciosity, you need a lot of patience, dedication, strategy and luck

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To live exclusively from poker you need to have a very good auto-analyze. Are you winning enough? Are you being profitable? You have time? Patient? Or are you just getting lucky? You are learning new stuffs everyday or you are on the same place?

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello,
Personally, I only play for fun and I usually gamble away everything I win :) I've only paid out 600 dollars so far, that's it and that after a few years on PS! There are definitely some poker players who make a living out of it, but it's a lot of work.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Ofcourse its possible, study , improve your game, dedicate to the game, and maybe you will be next in the line to live exclusively from poker. Hard work always pays off.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Yes, it is possible to make a living from poker... but it is not easy... that's why only a few people make it... apart from having a good bankroll... the most important thing is to have a solid strategy that in the medium term allows you to have profits... that is, at the end of each month you have profits that allow you to cover your expenses...

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never really understand questions like that. There are people doing it so obviously it's possible.

I would say one of the most important aspects of whether or not it's possible for yourself would be the cost of your living standards. If you are in a poorer country where the USD goes farther for example you will have a much easier time then you will in a richer country that requires a large amount of money just to live.

But the second part of that is you have to be willing to put in an absolutely huge amount of work t get yourself to that point. Other than perhaps chess, Poker is the most competitive game in the world. You have people who have good theoretical knowledge of poker playing for a few $s an hour and that really doesn't go to far.

You'll have to look at how long it would take you to get to a point where you can make decent money (If at all possible, it takes a lot of self reflection and knowing yourself and how you'll be able to handle the ups and downs when it's your rent and food bill on the line)

I would honestly recommend more people just take up poker as a hobby/ side hustle it's a great way to make some additional money, most people will be able to make more money at a regular job and then come home and try and spin up a few dollars for beer money or to put away for a rainy day.

But as the old saying goes...

Poker is a tough way to make an easy living.

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
It's possible with a big bankroll and if you are studying the game.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
to win you always have to invest and to live on this you first have to be consistent and make a good investment

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Your question is missed here, honestly. Vast majority of CC forum members do not live from poker exclusively. I doubt there is a single one that will reply to your question as there are maybe a couple of them in general (but more likely not a single).

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. How you do it? By grinding on line poker all day every day with pauses for study. And a bit of luck at the start.

Do not go into poker expecting to make a living from it. Just play poker and if it so happens that you are successful enough you then go 'full time' into it. You have to realize that poker economy works in a way that only a small percentage of players can be profitable and that most often only for a period of time.

An average poker player should only play if he enjoys the game and hope only for an occasional nice score relative to his buy in.

I wish you luck, my friend.

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't think something like that is possible.. not because there aren't players who could do it
but because I believe that the hosts wouldn't let someone win all the time.

Organize a Home Poker Game