Is it possible to avoid losing having a good card like AA, KK?

A

Aiur128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens that playing a long time we have achieved a large sum in the tournament and suddenly you can lose everything by playing ALL IN with a good card, did you happen to avoid such a situation and how?

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens that playing a long time we have achieved a large sum in the tournament and suddenly you can lose everything by playing ALL IN with a good card, did you happen to avoid such a situation and how?

Its not 100% possible to avoid losing with AA or KK unless with them you are dealt a royal flush and/or straight flush.

Although, your win chances are significant going all-in pre-flop with them.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Remember that in poker all cards have the possibility of winning even those that first hand seem to be very bad or weak .... In poker there is what we call the variance ... however it is clear that if we get a pair of AA or KK will always have a very high percentage of winning in an all-in preflop situation ... Now to avoid even more the possibility of losing with these pairs ... never do a "slow play" with these couple ...!

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I reed some place that AA have 40% chance of loose a hand. But... For me... A hand AA or KK in pré flop is allin anyway!!!

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody can guarantee that you will win with your AA or KK. It depends on too many things, not only your top pocket cards.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only after the river when all the cards are out and you know you have the nuts can you be sure yiur AA or KK won't get chopped down.

Even then, though, you can lose if you did not notice the duplicate cards and someone pulls the full house.
You can also lose if you did not notice 3 cards of the same suit on the board and someone pulls the flush.
Or the dang low straight somebody gets because 3 cards on the table gave them 5 cards in a row.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to not play AA or KK slow. Big raise preflop usually makes weaker holdings fold thus reducing the chances of taking a bad beat.

Tox1cel

Tox1cel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I get AA or KK defenetly I go all in, even if I have a small stack or big... Not to many will risk to go all in with hands like 67, even if those cards are the favorites... I won't let them to see the floop when I have 2 aces or Kings on my hand.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any pair can loose, it is important to control the betting to minimize your losses and get the most out of your winning hands.

Poker is a game of percentages and comes with no guarantees.

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I had AA or KK I would go all in whether I lose or not it is an good opportunity to increase your chips

A

Aiur128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice, I will certainly use it:)

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such a card to go olyn if you're short on chips or more than all the other players.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not 100% possible to avoid losing with AA or KK unless with them you are dealt a royal flush and/or straight flush.

Although, your win chances are significant going all-in pre-flop with them.

At this stage of my game it's almost impossible for me to avoid losing with an AA by getting out of the hand. Just not good enough to throw those cards down.. KK I have thrown down and gotten out of the mix in a hand that I would have lost. You are always a bit leery when an Ace pops up.. or in my case an Ace with the rest of the flop being suited with that Ace. Two people stayed in.. Pair of Aces lost to a flush. I would have been a distant 3rd.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no way to avoid losing sometimes, it is just variance. This however is what keeps the game interesting and makes it unique that you can do everything right, and still lose.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I had lots of times holding premium pairs only to lose a lot of money because of bad beats.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop you’re not getting away from these hands. Postflop your opponents frequencies, range and SPR are going to dictate if you can get away from them. Short stacked your gettting stacked flat out.

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get wrecked later in the game with these hands, best to control your emotions and realize what is potentially on the board.
GL

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Usually can not avoid.

Often all the money gets all-in preflop. Otherwise if you are deep it is possible to get away from a board that you think benefits your opponents' cards.

Good luck !

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Avoid run outs by just calling to see turn or checking to see turn. Avoid 5 card run outs as these have large variance just play your AA or KK as over pair trap not an all in pre flop situation. Also if you are 150BB deep or more it is not appropriate to go all in with aces pre. Most situations AA is unavoidable all in if you get induced...if you get stacked oh well that is gambling. Best of luck to you.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ALL-IN WHEN?

If you are getting all in pre-flop by making the last raise heads-up then you are not making any major mistakes. So there is nothing to avoid.

If you are getting all-in post-flop the questions are why? Are you raising pre in such a way as to tell your better opponents you have AA thus giving them the chance to play the perfect AA cracker strategies. Are you over valuing one pair on dangerous boards? Are there multiple players in the pots you lose? Are you misreading your opponents actions?

Just some thoughts you may consider.

:wavey:

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High pairs play aggressively preflop and in most cases I win. There is no way to avoid losing with monster hands.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, no starting pocket hand can guarantee victory. Pocket cards AA and KK are good only on preflop, the situation on the flop can change.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont do slowplay, bet in preflop, if someone bet before make a 3bet/4bet, if a bet compromise 1/3 or more maybe you can go all-in.
Thats a way to reduce times that you lose, because if do that probably other players fold or maybe just one call.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I already answered a similar question, and I repeat, a big mistake to consider AA, KK as invincible cards, they are the same cards as many others, just the percentage of winning them is higher than the rest ..

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such situations arise only when you have reached the prizes.if you have a good card, you don't have to go to ALL in,a raise will do.You should always look at the flop, catch the nuts.