• Start date
KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing poker, but not that much interested in studying the game (probably the reason why I'm not a good player)

I've tried to study range charts, but whenever I see them I lose interest in poker and It feels like a job.

Is it really necessary to be a sucessful player to study them?

Images 2

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have already studied the ranges in every position by having this chart lol. If you mean do you have to strictly follow the ranges in the game to be successful, not necessarily. There be other considerations.

DegenerateSheep

DegenerateSheep

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
I think it's better to study the concepts that lead to how the range charts are constructed. This will benefit you in the long run and will allow you to see if a range chart makes sense to begin with. Usual the opening range charts from each position are based on:

- Your raise size (a larger size means you can open less hands profitably)
- How many people are left (more people means more chance to run into a bigger hand)
- The initial pot (cash game ranges are tighter because you fight for 1.5bb pot instead of 2.5bb in tournaments)

There are more complex reasons that you will meet later in your journey, but I think it's more interesting to look at it from this perspective instead of just blindly learning a chart by heart and having no way of adjusting properly :)

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I wish I had all this data in my mind. I can only remember the UTG range and still fail sometimes.

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I've tried to study range charts, but whenever I see them I lose interest in poker and It feels like a job.
Because it's a job. Compared to the players who regularly play poker to make money, you simply don't stand a chance in the long run if you don't work on the concepts. You don't have to memorize charts for that, but you do have to understand the game from the charts, for example, if you want to reach a certain level. Playing poker successfully in 2023 requires some pretty hard work. The boom years are long gone, when every gambler and sports betting freak threw the money into the poker industry as well. However, those who just want to play for fun will get their worth even without charts and analytics. In the long run, however, they will not win money in normal tournaments or cash games.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
As you can imagine, if you want to improve, you have to study.

I can recommend the 30 days poker course from cardschat.

And btw:
Those ranges seem pretty tight.

And last but not least;
In micros, you cannot expect people to play according to ranges. Just today I've seen a player opening 97o from UTG. 😅

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's not enough to know the range to be a good player because you'll learn it, but when the streets start you'll get lost and start playing differently

otters

otters

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As you can imagine, if you want to improve, you have to study.

I can recommend the 30 days poker course from cardschat.

And btw:
Those ranges seem pretty tight.

And last but not least;
In micros, you cannot expect people to play according to ranges. Just today I've seen a player opening 97o from UTG. 😅
Totally agree about how people play in micros. Mad. 😂👍

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Not at all ..I think experience is the best tool

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only on really high stakes with great opposition do you need such deep knowledge.
For regular run of the mill tournaments and cash games it's not really that important.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like playing poker, but not that much interested in studying the game (probably the reason why I'm not a good player)

Is it really necessary to be a sucessful player to study them?

View attachment 326381

This stuff is actually super simple.

When I began playing online poker I played around a lot with Pokerstove. (you can manually adjust the ranges).
I found it to be essential when calculating spots for calling allins, 3-bet stealing allin, etc. etc.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i liked the old school style ... .'if you cant play good play tight' . now the solvers recommend reraising 76s in the big blind some portion of the time ( vs a button min raise open ) ,then c betting double broadway flops ! sounds like a fine way to lose lots of chips to me .