Is it ever okay to limp in?

S

steelwheel92

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fairly amateur myself but I was told to raise to protect my cards so that ppl with terrible hands don't limp in....unless you're one of those with terrible handstrying to luck out on the flop.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is ok to occasionally open limp, especially with weak players who are also limping. Against better competition this might be used extremely rarely as a scare tactic (threatening a big hand).

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I limp a lot, specially when although I have a reasonable hand, I have lots of aggressive vilains. If I raise I will be re-raised, then I just limp and decide if I pay or note depending on those action.

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was taught to always raise when I'm first to enter a pot.

There are situations that will be beneficial for you limping.

If you are UTG then it is NOT optimal to raise with pocket 2's because there are at least 8 people still to act that may have a lot stronger hand than small pocket pairs & then you are calling a 3-bet out of position with the only hopes of flopping a set.

Another reason to limp is that if the table is hyper aggressive & if you have pocket aces then you can PUNISH their aggressiveness by check raising them big.

Another reason to limp is if the table is super super tight then U maybe might want to limp with AA utg to remain tricky & try to get some value for your aces.

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really like limping with speculative hands with deep stacks and out of position

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also if it's a family pot i'll often limp and just see a cheap flop unless i got a monster and want to isolate

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a lot of aggressive players at your table it's not bad to limp strong hands and try to trap them.

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It is 100% ok to limp sometimes. Let's say you have 2 very very aggressive players that still have to act after you. If you limp then 1 raises & another reraises & you obviously have both dominated what better feeling is there to have.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Depends from the cards and the combinations you have. The best is to judge your cards and decide if you are going to raise or limp or fold.

Pilecas

Pilecas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp to defend the small blind, and hope that the Flop hit your hand. Or in the Iniciatial positions even with a monster, shows weakness and you can get more chips to the pot.

Yes Limp is good.

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Any general poker advice that begins with "always" is probably bad advice.

Just think before you act. If you are open limping in to a pot you should be thinking how do I make money by limping here? What are the players acting after me likely to do here? Am I going to call a raise? Am I going to re-raise a raise? etc.

As long as you have a game plan that is though out before hitting the call button, I don't mind limping in sometimes. I have been at tables before where the person after me ALWAYS raises on the button if there are limpers because he gets position against someone that doesn't have a great hand. So I might limp my top hands to get a raise and a call from either the SB or BB and then 3-bet large preflop.

I'm not saying by any means that's the only way to play it, but I think as long as you have a smart plan going forward and you actually have a plan that you think in the long run makes you money, then it's ok.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any general poker advice that begins with "always" is probably bad advice.

Just think before you act. If you are open limping in to a pot you should be thinking how do I make money by limping here? What are the players acting after me likely to do here? Am I going to call a raise? Am I going to re-raise a raise? etc.

As long as you have a game plan that is though out before hitting the call button, I don't mind limping in sometimes. I have been at tables before where the person after me ALWAYS raises on the button if there are limpers because he gets position against someone that doesn't have a great hand. So I might limp my top hands to get a raise and a call from either the SB or BB and then 3-bet large preflop.

I'm not saying by any means that's the only way to play it, but I think as long as you have a smart plan going forward and you actually have a plan that you think in the long run makes you money, then it's ok.

I agree with this

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of time you should have first reaction,but sometimes is not bad to chek....

B

bizbakol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play freeroll I like to play with every hand except few weak hands. On the big tournaments the limp not play at me, maybe at the beginning.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i def think its ok to limp in with a low pp in ep-and i will fold to anything over a 3xbb raise-set mining small pairs in early pos wants to see the flop cheap-there are a few other times i would limp in-if there was a super lag yet to act and im dealt a big pair

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well,if you have JJ,then it's not bad to call or check,or even fold.

J

joaonetoferreira

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In general raise is better, but there are exceptions for good limps how to make traps and play per set