Is it correct open raise with pocket threes's in middle position?

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about it?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It depends on many factors. First of all, from what you play, tournaments or cash games. In addition, it is important to take into account how your opponents play. I think that in every particular situation, all the components have to be considered in order to make the right decision.
Good luck.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs

I hate raising with small pairs, id rather raise with 54s. Seems like the better the player you are relative to the players your up against you should be raising a lot whatever you have.

Is there an argument that a top level player, playing against very poor players should play every hand?

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends upon the situation and the stack size and read upon the opponants.
If the opponants after you are Tight players then a raise can be done very effectively.
If a lot of players have limped in ahead of you then you have great odds to make a call.

If you are near the bubble then it depends upon your stack size and your poker experience. Though a fold is always advisable if you have a mediocre stack and bad experiences of bubble play or you get nervous near the bubble.

If playing a super turbo game then you need to play these small pairs as after a 2-3 round of blinds you will be on the brink of zero stack size.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everything else, it depends on a number of variables. If I have tight players behind me and I've developed a tight image, then I will consider raising with 33 in middle position. Even if there are a lot of high cards on the flop, I can still c-bet and represent a big pair. There are other important factors to consider, like (1) any limpers in front of me ? (2) stack sizes, (2) tournament or cash game.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's wrong, and do believe that it is necessary to open karmaskaly not lower than 1010. Everything below is very dangerous. And maybe even JJ.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late in SNGs I like to raise in order to to accomplish one of two things: 1. Discourage steal attempts from later positions so I can set mine or 2. Potentially just steal the blinds right then and there. It seems to work consistently enough, but you have to be willing to lay it down if a bigger stack shoves. If I'm 3bet light, I'll actually cold call if my stack is sufficiently large (around chip lead)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on so many things. What's your stack size versus others? What are other players VPIP and 3-bet percentages? If you feel like you can safely build a pot with that hand then definitely play it. Otherwise, it should be utilized as a bluff catcher/set catcher.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree with what was said earlier. It all depends on the situation !!!

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, save them threes for pushing when in a position of dominance or weakness

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Depends, i sometimes raise small pairs when i recieve the hand with no raises before me to make limpers fold.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this is the start of the game and the blinds are small then what,s the point to raise it? Just call and check the flop. If you will get something on the flop, then you can make a big bet.
But if the blinds are big and you want to still some blinds, for sure you can raise with 33 in some situations against tight players.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on several factors: your image to other players at the table, your image of other players, among other things.
If you want to get in the hand the best way is open raise and not just check.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raising with under cards is a gutsy move, table image..

. If you really want to change your table image, occasionally raising with 33 in middle position will ruin the notes that other players have taken on you. 22 44 55 raise in middle position will achieve the same "this player really is unpredictable...".

Like others mentioned, position, stack, other variables should be taken into account.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it also depends on the Limits you play. In Micro-Stakes and freerolls i often like a Limp because the Players usually play lots of hands. So you can Limp and call an eventuall Raise with 33 and other small poket Pairs to try to flop a Set.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket 3s are a great hand to raise with. If you hit a set they are disguised, if not you are beating drawing hands and force your opponent to check back at least one street after the flop.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many factors influencing your discovery 33 from the position of MP. This is the size of your stack relative to others, the style of players playing after you, and the limit of this tournament, the nature of the distribution played before, and much more. It also depends on the strategy you have chosen for this tournament.
Therefore, it all depends on the specific case. Something specific cannot be advised.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Correct implies there is a right or wrong answer when in fact there is no clear cut answer, it all depends on the player and the situation. There is no right or wrong answer for each player it would be different.

Some players understand and value small pocket pairs and have the skill, experience and confidence to play this hand regularly. They will not only set mine but play the value of the hand on a favourable run out or against a favourable opponent.

Other players will just wait for a better spot while they miss value doing so they avoid putting themselves in tough spots which would happen a lot with this kind of hand and could end up saving themselves chips.

Generally this hand is easy to play if deep or if short so greater than 80BB (set mine) and less than 10BB (shove).

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would take into consideration how the table people are playing and if there have been a lot of limps, if there is someone aggressively playing aggressively after you is a good way to make a nice pot, now if the guys are playing very safe there is a big chance of bumping into a bigger pair .... Usually I open raise and see how the rest will act.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you raise a little, have to see the other player reaction, nothing is good or bad in poker.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
As mentioned "It depends" for me it's table dynamics and my table image, also I don't like limping into a hand at the best of times if ever, and I never limp with a pair. The BB should never see a flop for free.

I flopped a set of 3's from MP in todays CC ACR/BCP freeroll that paid off with a set on the flop, as mentioned earlier, it was disguised.

:top:

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in before flop with pocket 3's would do for me. go big or go home :D

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but if the remaining opponents are aggressive then you can fold

kleopatra123

kleopatra123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a lot of players have limped in ahead of you then you have great odds to make a call.

Walttinho

Walttinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends a lot on the situation, the level of the tournament, the amount of chips, the information you have from the opponents, I prefer to analyze all these things out of position