It is better, get to ITM, or win the tournament?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care about busting just before the bubble, since I don't care about min-cashing. The final table is where it's at.

1 win > lots of min-cashes.

philthy owns this thread, imo.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually most of players tightened their range up during the bubble situation,find a good spot and you should able to increased your stack going ITM.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In every tournament I put 3 goals:
1- Get into the prize zone.
2- Get off at the final table.
3- The first place in the tournament.
Of course we should strive in every tournament to win first place. But this should not affect the quality of play. If you aspire to a victory in the tournament it is not necessary to risk the minimum prizes.

tocloc238

tocloc238

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to get upset about not min-cashing, and busting close to the bubble. But learned that going for the win is almost always the correct way to play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't care about busting just before the bubble, since I don't care about min-cashing. The final table is where it's at.

1 win > lots of min-cashes.

philthy owns this thread, imo.
lol. I dont think I own this thread, but thanks.

I do get where others are coming from about wanting to make the money first and then go for the win because that's how I was when I first started. Then I was always wondering why I could never make it deeper in MTTs...

Making the money does give a sense of accomplishment, but if you think about it, was it really worth all that effort to make an extra 1-2 buy-ins? Don't think of it in terms of money because it's all relevant. Let's say you follow a BRM plan of 100 BI's. If you min-cash a $10 MTT for $20, you earned 1 buy-in. Same goes for a $1 MTT and you min-cash $2. That's still just 1 buy-in. So, you're BR hasn't increased by much. True, its a profit, but is it worth playing for 4+ hours for just a $1?

With that said, I encourage others to play how they see fit and what works for them. If you're a min-cash master and you're profiting at a slow, steady rate, and you're happy...keep at it.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can think of a few times ITM is better, but most times you want 1,2,3 place.

here are the exceptions:

1. satelites ( duh, I know, but some satelite players take crazy chances)

2. You win a ticket to a big tourney via satelite or freeroll, and you just want to cash to build your bankroll.

3. An aggressive move ends up losing and you wind up short stacked near the bubble. Cash first, then start to shove.

4. In a lot of micro MTTs the play is SO BAD at the beginning that you can often build a good enough stack to cash VERY OFTEN by playing tight aggressive poker. Once you cash, you can become very aggressive and begin to shoot for final table. I did well in this spot back in the pokerstars/Fulltilt days.

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always go for the win. ITM doesn't always mean you'll make a profit. In the long run, winning a large tournament will always be better than being itm and that is how most pros make their most money.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For long term always aim for the win as you will be rewarded with better ROI.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed ITM ussually doesn't make that much profit.
In a big MTT one FT is like worth more than 10 times early ITM.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play for the win. Play for first. You might miss the money more often with a more aggressive strategy but when the cards pan out with this strategy you'll generally go deeper the times that you do then if you played passive trying to limp into the money.

At the same time play smart. If you're on the bubble and 2 people are all in ahead of you and you have just an "ok" hand, someone might be going home and you can fold into the money.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will anyone ITT admit that part of the "Go for the Win" mentality HAS to include a "get ITM" component?

This discussion sure seems to be an 'either/or' discussion. It can not be that.

It can be a frame of mind discussion, but during the course of a tourney, only a bot has a consistent frame of mind. Real people vacillate thru most of the human emotional scale. So a better direction for conversation might be how to get ITM and then the FT, and THEN win it with the aggressiveness so many of you seem to think is always good.

Min cashes are always a fall back position when getting into a tourney. 95% of the time they bring the game up to at least a break even proposition. But we (most all of us) are going for the big win. Just how do we do it? Besides the luck factor, we develop the skills to go deeper and deeper and some of us learn that over time, we have to temper our aggressiveness down to a (hopefully) finely sharpened edge.

FWIW, I have personally won tourneys after barely making the bubble about as often as I have won tourneys being the CL when the bubble burst.