Isolating limpers: When, why and how should you isolate?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened to me that I tried to isolate a limper and it resubmitted my bet.
From there, a betting war begins on the river. We arrived at the showdown and I had obtained a double pair, pair of aces, and pair of table nines (I had A-Q) and the limper had A-K.
It seems to me that the information that one has about the limper, about the plays that previously made at the table, is very important to make a decision on whether it is convenient to isolate it in the hand or not.
In my case, I knew that the limper played speculative hands, so that's why I decided to play hard until the river.
Greetings.

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's just profitable with aces and in bounty tournaments when you have a big stack and big hand:cool:

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good article, thank you. I'm going to try to put some of this to use

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It always happens to us cornered or cornered, it is the day to day of each of the important tournaments, everything depends on how the tournaments go and we see the type of aggressive and passive playing, and the situation of the hand will take us, to make a decision where we can win as we can lose, but it is very important the position of each player in said case of limper

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had table dynamics that allow limping as a good strategy, easier to outplay opponents on the flop as they would refuse to fold preflop lol

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had table dynamics that allow limping as a good strategy, easier to outplay opponents on the flop as they would refuse to fold preflop lol

OH, I like this!

It's not my usual approach to nolimit games but, I think you are correct.

Hey man, if they will let me limp w KT then why not? A6 suited? Ok, then.

Good luck !

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to stress when this happens sometime you find someone at the table thatlimps with any two cards and when I have a medium hand that I would Open raise the doubt comes to me should I ROL or Overlimp but usually if I overlimp other makes a ROL and when I ROL and not conect is little hard ... i will try to put this more in practice and build myself a predefined range for the situation hehehe great Article Martin thanks!!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like to isolate limpers, but when they call hurts... nowadays have turned harder to fight against limps from good players, differently of all poker source said when I began, Some players studied limps and can take you to hard situations limping. Nowadays all actions are resources to winthe game.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having focus is quite important at the poker table. So, I was quite happy to head to the table with a sharp eye out for limpers and lie in wait. It was a good experience to keep trying and of course you would not expect to get the better of the villain but that he also has a mediocre hand. My experience was quite scary...

I noticed "player 2" playing many pots and finally got my chance to pounce, however I had to hope the blinds would leave the "limper" to me :).

See the action here.

I really enjoyed that first encounter and look forward to sharing more with you guys!

Thank you for the article and adding to my bag of poker tricks.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many factors! For example, if my stack is large I can press more than if my stack was small. But even if I see that limps often I try to press a little more!

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that It varies if it is in cash game or tournament, in cash game I try to isolate limper doing squeeze before limpers with previous knowledge of the opponent.
In the tournaments I try to isolate the limper when I have a medium value hand and I want to defend it while out of position.
But it depends on the type of player that is the limp, of knowing his game minimally and of many other variables in the game.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It fits all possible situations. Poker gives us a range of moves, it all depends on information.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to isolate limpers

Do you notice opponents limping into pots? Should you bet to isolate them or are you walking into a trap? Do you isolate with top hand or notice an opponents tendancies to limp into a lot of pots and try to exploit that?

Read our guide on Isolating limpers

Then come back and let us know your experiences when trying to isolate limpers.

if some one is always limping in every pot then i would raise to get them to fold unless every one else folds and go heads up with that person. i would make pay to see the flop or any thing.