Importance of poker position

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your sitting on the button, you have called a PF raise with 99 with 4 players in the pot. Flop comes AAK. Its checked to you as last to act. What do you do? You fire a bullet and likely win the pot that is what you do. See the importance of position.

Or you are sitting in the small blind or UTG1 with 99. Flops comes and its AAK. You fire a bullet, now what happens. Someone comes in over the top, or calls, turn card is a 10. You are first to act. Hmm, do you check or fire another bullet? Either way you lose.

See the difference, same hand, same cards. 1 you are likely to win, 1 you are likely to lose.

Position is huge. Think about that when you are dealt your KJ and think you have just been handed the holy grail.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position, over time will prevail.

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is important. everybody says that late position is the best position you can be, and i dont disagree but as i always say it always depend on a particular situation.
There are times when early position puts you to an advantage especially if you are going to bluff first. :) hehe
When you get a read that everyone has no made hand and you are the first to act and you get to raise big first and pray no donkey calls your bluff. LOL

I may be that donkey. I usually get a read you are firing with air from out of position and call your flop bullet and turn bullet with any 2 cards just waiting on your check on the river, when I fire a pot bet at it with even less air. LOL

You want to call me, the last guy was staring at my boat. Image and position win muucho chips. At least more than it loses.

People should be playing very strong hands from early position, and almost any 2 cards will do from late. Its a great game as long as its not being fckd with.

Last edited:
T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And through position you can isolate said player and exploit them or you can end up in multi way pots out of position.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your sitting on the button, you have called a PF raise with 99 with 4 players in the pot. Flop comes AAK. Its checked to you as last to act. What do you do? You fire a bullet and likely win the pot that is what you do. See the importance of position.

Or you are sitting in the small blind or UTG1 with 99. Flops comes and its AAK. You fire a bullet, now what happens. Someone comes in over the top, or calls, turn card is a 10. You are first to act. Hmm, do you check or fire another bullet? Either way you lose.

See the difference, same hand, same cards. 1 you are likely to win, 1 you are likely to lose.

Position is huge. Think about that when you are dealt your KJ and think you have just been handed the holy grail.

... I usually get a read you are firing with air from out of position and call your flop bullet and turn bullet with any 2 cards just waiting on your check on the river, when I fire a pot bet at it with even less air. LOL

You want to call me, the last guy was staring at my boat. Image and position win muucho chips. At least more than it loses.

People should be playing very strong hands from early position, and almost any 2 cards will do from late. Its a great game as long as its not being fckd with.

Nice examples... :cool:

I

illind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is power! Some nice examples above.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position in poker is very important. Like a lot of things. And not the fact that will win.

alar2080

alar2080

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position very importent in poker. playing in position we get advantage always

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing poker in position is dogma !! Playing in position you possess a large amount of information and, accordingly, can engrave more money and lose less.So that the position in poker is not just extremely important and paramount!!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The position has many meanings, and attack and defense depends on the opponent.

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very important, but if your in the big or small blind and it folds around to the button, these days u can almost garauntee the button will raise any 2 cards. So can be profitable calling from a blind

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is safer when you're in position, you can play more aggressive.:cool:

proebzhik

proebzhik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
online or offline, I think it makes a difference.

proebzhik

proebzhik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And also it is necessary to have an idea what kind of player. If you are sure that it is 100% fish, it does not mean that he will play as a fish out of position and distance

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I opened this topic to discuss the importance of playing in position against someone who has not yet mastered the concepts of the game and even ignores the importance of this principle.
What good is position, against players who only see their own cards and bet blindly until the showdown?

Is it really important to have a position against this type of player?

I see the position being used against these players, mainly with a tactic of defense and not of attack.

I would like to discuss some moves that can be made against donkey players, who only play by watching their cards.

EV depends on the position?

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is power.

If you looked at your win rate when playing in position as opposed to playing out of position you will see a huge difference in profit.

good luck

stoke
then which position give you high win rate ?

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To begin with, the position - this is the fundamental thing in poker.
The sooner you start to pay attention to the position at the poker table, the sooner you will start to win money:)

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beggining i though that position was just a mere thing, but as I started to play poker more frequently I saw that when you are in position, you have more power on the decisions tha others will make. For example, as i started playing, i used to call preflop with a hand like J9o or hands like this when i was under the gun, but i realized that most of the time, will there always be at least several players that would also call or even raise, and then i encountered myself in a situation like "Omg my call was useless, i just wasted money". Nowadays I see that if you will play poker you need to have those 3P's that people are also commenting: Patience, Power, Position (especially on tournaments)

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Hello.Position is very important.If you speak first ,if your are button ...or co .You can win pots with bluff if you speak 1st etc.....So its very good to play your position !

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always consider the button being the last person to act on the river. That is where the real pot is. You can call or three bet wider and strategize better having a higher birds eye view. Say a top pair hits out of position on the flop but there are backdoor straights and flushes or over pair of something then you can continue the hand and represent a great range of hands all the way down the river. That top pair to a rec player out of position with flush straight and over pair possibilities are endless. The river throws a blank. You represent a great range of wide array to very likely kill his range to raise on his bet out of position and take down the pot.

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all say that the position is an advantage! But no one says why?
The position is good it is so impWhat depends on the position in poker?ortant! But who in the end to say why? What does it affect?
1. Your range
2. Your EV.
3. The size of bets.

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The importance of position nor canceled,but even from the position"under the gun"having strong map and notes on the opponent you can win a nice pot.It is important the ability to play any position.If you only play from the button,then nothing will.

I

igox97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is sometimes more important that your hand, if u are at the late position u can raise player like this ;p