Chips
easy answer: Always change it up.

Toasted_Luck

Toasted_Luck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're willing to play the hand, you should show the confidence you have in your hand and maybe push someone out with a better hand than you.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Such actions may well result in blocking your account. And it's only fair.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not always your call pays a raise depends on the position and the letters that have in hand

But sometimes it's good to take a call and also to raise has good hands in poker.

We should not expect to be giving call only with strong hands, but play raised to value our hand and make bad hands foldarem

This to me is the dynamics of Poker

:jd4:mateuspoker

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've often heard "If you can call you can raise" in poker. Is this true? Sure it can give you another way to win if everyone folds to your raise, but is always better to raise or is calling sometime a powerful move? When? What do people think?

No absolutes in poker, it's more a caution against just calling a lot. Aimed mainly a new players.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is how I generally look at my pre-flop play. I very rarely call when I'm first into a pot, but then beyond that raising is not always the most profitable play. Calling to see if you hit your straight or flush makes sense most of the time, but raising a bet with a draw is a much more risky play, but there's a time and a place for everything.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very difficult to say when to do this or when to do that. It depends on many variables that are and will occur at the table you are sitting at.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In some kind of reason it's true but depends on many changes when to call and when to raise.

J

jepc18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if u can call, you can do what you want, the goal is that the opposite never realize what letters your accounts!

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've often heard "If you can call you can raise" in poker. Is this true? Sure it can give you another way to win if everyone folds to your raise, but is always better to raise or is calling sometime a powerful move? When? What do people think?
I believe the answer to this question is Yes....

But, the real question should be, "what makes this hand easier to play?"

If we raise what hands that are better do we get to fold, and what hands that we beat are going to call?

Same goes for calling...

By calling, what is still in vil and heros range, and are we allowing ourselves to realize our true equity....

Feel free to ask question on what I mean here, cause I know these statements might be confusing to some.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No I don't think that is a true statement. If you raise instead of calling and you don't have the nuts then someone can put you all in with a draw or a lesser hand. Game over.

NOORI

NOORI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The simple math under this phrase is: the less players at the table, the more chance you have to win the pot

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I removed a slightly different expression (if you are thinking about a call or a pass, then think about a raise) several times this brought me money)))

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I don't think it is wise to believe this saying. Adjusting to situations is the key to winning poker. I think pot control is more important than being ultra aggressive most the time.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! I think that you should always play a raise, if the hand and position allow. Here many write that better to make the call, but I think it's not right. If you call a good hand, any random opponent can beat your QQ-AA with any random combination or just two pairs. So my opinion is Only raise and not in any case call (not counting the small stack less than 10BB) .

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It depends on situation and your position on the table and your cards and what do you want? Win or win with more chips or just lose or lose with more chips? What are your actions if they raise after you? You should do it when necessary.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe this saying gets misused a lot in poker. Let's really think of this in a logical way. If a table of players followed this rule, then the only things people would be doing is raising and folding. So, either every hand would get it all-in preflop (the result of always raising and never calling), or there would never be a flop as the only other option is to fold and not call. So, clearly, this "rule" is either getting misused or misunderstood.
So, the question is where did the rule come from. Well, I did a Google search and found a reference to it in the movie Rounders. I also found a book titled "The Everything Poker Strategy Book" by John Wenzel that used it in reference to Tight Aggressive players deciding if they are going to enter a hand pre-flop. On an 888 how to page it specifically uses the phrase in relation to opening the pre-flop betting. Which would make sense preflop, if the bet to you is low and the pot is low, then yeah, throw a bet out instead of calling if you are playing TAG.
Granted all that is is a quick Google search, but I think we can rule out using this as a rule for every situation. Things like someone post-flop betting half the pot at you when you're on a monster draw would require a call for a chance to see the remaining cards.

Very well said. Great insight and knowledge passed on with this post. It all stems toward a preflop player who happens to be playing a TAG style. I learned a lot form this post. Thanks This Fish Chums.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That can be true coz most of the time raising in situation where calling is fine then they will percieve it as weakness as you are protecting your hand or sometimes bluffing, either way when you raise you are more in control of the situtation and can be most profitable at the same time, and sometimes can make a bluffer fold. Compared to just calling where you can trap yourself.