I guess I’m just stupid

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have NO IDEA what these supposed instructors here and elsewhere are talking about

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you could perhaps be a bit clearer so that people know what you mean then maybe someone can help you

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you could perhaps be a bit clearer so that people know what you mean then maybe someone can help you
At this point I’m mainly referring to preflop ranges. I am taking the RYE Masterclass and I’m fairly sure it is not humanly possible to remember all the different scenarios (which hands to open, which to call a 3bet with, which to four bet, all the different scenarios)

Last edited:
franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No my dear friend, I'm Shure you're not stupid, just need practice, a lot of practice, in that way you will remember what you have to do and what you don't!

S

stepashka321

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At this point I’m mainly referring to preflop ranges. I am taking the RYE Masterclass and I’m fairly sure it is not humanly possible to remember all the different scenarios (which hands to open, which to call a 3bet with, which to four bet, all the different scenarios)
Maybe just play poker without huge blunders.
Anyway you can't play in one style, elsefore your opponents will read you easily. So, it makes no sense to look for the ideal course of actions. There is no perfect way to risk, while risk in every action.

Last edited:
I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Repetition and continual learning will do the job, or it won't.:)

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I don't study poker in anyway. I think once you have a chip and a chair play certain hands from the position then that's all you need

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't study poker in anyway. I think once you have a chip and a chair play certain hands from the position then that's all you need
Once you start moving up in buyin levels (online poker) you'll definitely need to study or you'll be left behind. It is just way too competitive these days and I can guarantee you that all of the guys who are doing well are also studying.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you're not a fool, apparently you just played recently or you play very little when you start playing a lot you will understand everything and when to play it comes with experience. After studying even the material, you will need to check it out yourself and then you'll just figure it out a little time

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are most likely not stupid, but you are lacking patience, and apparently you have still not understood, how much variance there is in poker and especially MTTs. When we last talked about this a few weeks or a month ago, you had played something like 160 MTTs. And because you have not been winning over this meaningless small sample, you think, something must be wrong with all the strategy advice, you can find here and elsewhere.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Dear friend, self-criticism is a useful detail in the game, but you are not the only one who finds the theory of game strategy difficult. Do not despair, remember the main details and put into practice. The quality of your game will come with practice and good luck:)(y)

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Once you start moving up in buyin levels (online poker) you'll definitely need to study or you'll be left behind. It is just way too competitive these days and I can guarantee you that all of the guys who are doing well are also studying.
Studying what exactly?

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not print the ranges have them next to your screen, when in doubt look at them, after 10000 games you can throw away the prints

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not print the ranges have them next to your screen, when in doubt look at them, after 10000 games you can throw away the prints
Because there are THOUSANDS of different ranges

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Studying what exactly?
That would on many things.
I've been studying this game off & on for 15years. At times I've been very dedicated and then there's been years where I've coasted on auto-pilot. If I want to get better at the game, I need to set aside time & make a schedule for some extensive studying.

Study what? As in what material? 'It depends'

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
That would on many things.
I've been studying this game off & on for 15years. At times I've been very dedicated and then there's been years where I've coasted on auto-pilot. If I want to get better at the game, I need to set aside time & make a schedule for some extensive studying.

Study what? As in what material? 'It depends'
Give me an example of what you study?

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
You're joking... right?
If this is a total troll... you got me! 'gg'
I'm genuinely asking a question thats all... If you can't answer then fine 🙂

I already understand the important stuff like position as it relates to hand ranges, outs and all that etc.... so just wondering what actually should you be studying going forward to avoid being "left behind' as you mentioned in your first reply?

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, I just wanted to agree with you. You are indeed stupid if you truly think like that. By definition, as in I'm not being derogatory towards you. That's what stupid means. And that doesn't only apply to poker, as in with this attitude and belief system, you will never ever do anything professional in your life. Professionalism requires resilience, effort, pushing boundaries, overcoming limitations etc. You are limited (that's the kindest word I've ever come up with for stupid).

However, if you weren't and you put every single bit of you to work then you could overcome your situation. No one is born stupid, some just develop like that, but there's always time to turn things around and prove to yourself and others that you can (change things).

Happy thoughts! :D

Again, please don't throw rocks at me. throw dictionaies at him/her/they/them/etc.

Disclaimer: I'm neutral and the above is merely an opinion based on what I've read.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm genuinely asking a question thats all... If you can't answer then fine 🙂

I already understand the important stuff like position as it relates to hand ranges, outs and all that etc.... so just wondering what actually should you be studying going forward to avoid being "left behind' as you mentioned in your first reply?
Sorry about that.
It gets more complicated. As Doyle once said (I think it was Doyle?), It's a game you can learn in minutes but can take a lifetime to master.

Currently I am transitioning from cash game play back over to MTT play (I haven't played MTT's much at all for ~8yrs. now). Needing a refresher I've picked up a few great books (tbh, probably needing MUCH more than a refresher, lol).
Also, with PKO's being the popular format I KNOW I need to work on them (ie. I don't even know what my range needs to be for calling allins for it to be +cEV. I knew I could profitably call off wider... but how much? Also, how does ICM affect things in PKO's?
I've read some articles on PKO's, then purchased Dara O'Kearney's book on PKO's. And for the last few weeks while watching my favorite streamer, I've been making calculations on the fly in hands where he's choosing to call off. The more I do it, the more I study & put it into practice, the more I can be assured I am playing the best I can in each & every situation.

One very small example for a very complex subject. Honestly, even the amount of time I know I'll eventually put into working on PKO's will be loads. I want to gain an edge over my opponents and this is the way I know how to do this.

I currently have acquired a bunch of other study material that I am sorting through, with the goal of using my time as wisely as possible. (ie. books, training bundles, and courses).

Sorry for coming off like a bit of a d1ck. I honestly thought you were just joking with your question.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1 minute of bad play, can undo 2 hours of perfect play. Just be patient and do what you can. Try to win the big pots and lose the small pots. Don't know why you are changing from cash game to tournament play. That sounds like it started your downhill slide.

MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I did this when I first started playing:) think its work.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because there are THOUSANDS of different ranges
You dont need to know them all to perfection. You only need to get close enough, so that you are not making big blunders. At least this is true in micro and low stakes games, which is, where you should begin your journey.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I find it difficult to learn all the things that are taught in poker. On the other hand, there are actions that are easily learned and then become routine in your type of game.

E.g.: Never limp out first in the game. Don't play weak hands at the beginning of the table. Never go straight all-in with AA, KK, and QQ. These things are easier and improve your playing style.

The more complex and elaborate moves are learned over time. The focus is not to give up and not to play like fish.