I admit it

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m stupid. There is NO WAY I can remember enough poker strategy to be a decent player. I read all these hand examples and there are so many different situation-dependent variations I’m just completely lost.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with the simplest. Play only your best hands (really the best, even if there aren't many) and stick to BRM. Once you master this step, do the next one, expand your range of hands and continue to stick to BRM. Finally, play almost any hand in the right situation and, most importantly, stick to your BRM!

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about improving in small increments. Focus on one tiny concept to incorporate in your play. Once that sticks build on that and include another.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you study to much and dont play enough? While off the table study is important, poker is at the end of the day also very much "learning by doing". When you have seen the same spots 100 times, you get a much better idea of, which lines tend to work, and which does not. So just grind on and stick to low stakes, where the competition is soft, and you dont risk losing significant money. Make another 25 quality posts and have fun with the CC platinum freerolls for instance. Best of luck :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agree with all the posts above.

I consider myself fairly intelligent (I am sure we all do) but most of the time poker strategy is presented in a manner which does not engage me. Either written or in video format.

It used to frustrate me but then I realized with the formats (again written or video) most of the authors/presenters did not come from an education background where they were used to writing/presenting in an engaging manner. They came from a poker/gambling background and often the coaching can appear dry and uninspiring. Well, that's the case for me and I do not believe it a question of intelligence.

So, for a long time I have not worried if I feel I have not completely grasped a specific strategy. I'll do a casual fly past...then maybe revisit later and try to get a better handle on something. I believe we all learn at our own speed and trying to shoe-horn poker theory into 'I am going to apply myself and learn it' is a non-starter.

The fundamentals are still the fundamentals. If you understand how and what you should be playing in terms of hands and table position, just play and your understanding will grow. Then, when you do apply yourself to study don't worry about some concepts appearing baffling.

It is easy to slip into the mode that most are playing sophisticated poker. I do not believe they are. More often than not it is about aggression shown in specific spots, which is very effective but not that nuanced.

Just relax and understand some are naturally drawn to the mathematical and statistical side to poker and others are not. But that does not mean that those who play intuitively cannot succeed.