How did you start playing poker?

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi so I just wanted to ask how many of you started off playing poker. Did you start with micro stakes cash games, sit n go's, small money tournaments, etc. Just curious to know.

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi so I just wanted to ask how many of you started off playing poker. Did you start with micro stakes cash games, sit n go's, small money tournaments, etc. Just curious to know.
For me, it was in prison. We would play for ramen noodle soups. Taught by some really good card players.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, started with learning from my family and watching on TV. Then small home games, then playing a live cash game at 21 :D.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small tournaments and then low dollar cash games.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I kid on school, some classmates start playing and introduced me to the game and to pokerstars. But I just play for a short time, actually I don’t remember what drive me to start playing again, and take it more seriously

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started in a live regional tournament, barely knew the rules. I remember it like it was today. I walked into the room with a dark glasses, everyone looked at me no one knew me, perish that they thought "this guy plays a lot", seriously they looked at me with a very suspicious face.
My tactic was simple, playing with pocket pairs or cards that had pictures. If something like that appears on the table I bet
About an hour later I was discovered.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji41]

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing since 2017, at first I played for money but then I fell in love with tournaments and since then only in the

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
i watched boys playing in lounge of education faculty at school
looked so thrilling
i too shy & scared play live so i look on internet, join a place where isnt real monies, was May 2019
i get addicted , then try study much i can to improve

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[FONT=NotoSans,Lato,arial,sans-serif]
Low cash games with my family at home.​
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I use to hang out and smoke up with my ex gfs father, when doing this we constantly watched poker on tv. It was about 2004 2005 when they had all to great shows like high stakes poker and what not. I was instantly hooked, found the game extremely interesting and complex and just wanted to learn hoping one day to be a top player. Over time i lost a bit of hope of ever being that, still dream about it but my main goal is to not be a losing player and have my own little successes over time. Still working on it but I have accomplished the not losing everything I play for part of it, hopefully in time and immense effort I will be one of the tops. Never stop dreaming and always keep improving and you'll be fine.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I started playing poker three years ago and I started with freerolls. I think freerolls are the best option for beginners.
Good luck.

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play money!

I did that on and off for a year or two. Then I put my own money into it and good Lord, the adrenaline rushes got me hooked.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My poker game started online on virtual dollar tables. Since half a year, I learned to play like that, and then I switched to freerolls.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

I started playing around 2013, playing intermittently when I had free time. First I started playing for conditional chips, then I switched to freerolls, after which I earned the first 0.02 US centsента and a ticket to the Sunday million with a face value of $ 215 US. In the Sunday game, a million entered the prize pool and won approximately $ 250:)

N

NUTZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WATCHed it on tv then started playing an App game and little by little got hooked

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started in a live regional tournament, barely knew the rules. I remember it like it was today. I walked into the room with a dark glasses, everyone looked at me no one knew me, perish that they thought "this guy plays a lot", seriously they looked at me with a very suspicious face.
My tactic was simple, playing with pocket pairs or cards that had pictures. If something like that appears on the table I bet
About an hour later I was discovered.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji41]
Hahaha, that's funny. I remember that was also my strategy at the beginning stages. Thanks for sharing dude.

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi hi
i watched boys playing in lounge of education faculty at school
looked so thrilling
i too shy & scared play live so i look on internet, join a place where isnt real monies, was May 2019
i get addicted , then try study much i can to improve
Yeah I got addicted too haha. I am currently studying as well to get better.

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to hang out and smoke up with my ex gfs father, when doing this we constantly watched poker on tv. It was about 2004 2005 when they had all to great shows like high stakes poker and what not. I was instantly hooked, found the game extremely interesting and complex and just wanted to learn hoping one day to be a top player. Over time i lost a bit of hope of ever being that, still dream about it but my main goal is to not be a losing player and have my own little successes over time. Still working on it but I have accomplished the not losing everything I play for part of it, hopefully in time and immense effort I will be one of the tops. Never stop dreaming and always keep improving and you'll be fine.
I respect your mindset dude. I also wish to make poker my living because it's such a beautiful game. I hope it goes well for you :)

L

lackingtoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play money!

I did that on and off for a year or two. Then I put my own money into it and good Lord, the adrenaline rushes got me hooked.
Oh yeah the addiction to the game is both awesome and sucks sometimes haha.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May I ask why you were drawn into tournaments?
More morale rivalry good rewards if successful
I like to go far, where many opponents mean that I can defeat large MTT fields and even get little money as yet[emoji3][emoji106][emoji123]

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw how my friend was playing, and I had such a terrible desire to learn how to play poker, I sat with him near the computer and he explained the game to me a bit, then I started to learn combinations, registered for pokerstars, at first I played spin without special skill end and go, and mtt, when I lost two, three small amounts, I realized that my level of play is weak, I started going through and studying poker school, and then I started to watch streamers.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My brother robbed me!

My first experience was when my brother conned me out of all my pocket money when I was about 14 years old. He was a bit skint and I'd just received my monthly allowance, so he offered to "teach" me how to play poker. Well me £20 disappeared pretty quickly and I was left devastated that I'd lost my whole months allowance in about an hour or so.

I decided then that I was going to learn to play poker and get good at it. I've played my brother many times since then and I think it's fair to say that I now prefer playing against him than he does against me!

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect your mindset dude. I also wish to make poker my living because it's such a beautiful game. I hope it goes well for you :)

Yes its a beautiful game for sure but can rear its ugly head up at times. Mostly when losing, other than that its quite fun, meet a lot of cool people if you play live and stuff to, they all have a story that's for sure. I play quite tight now a days and try not to lose as much as I have before in the past, it's working out nicely, my only problem now is i guess bankroll management, I'm good at it now a days but I always take a shot at some stakes i'm not really bankrolled to play in because i feel I good enough to play there. If I stop doing that things would be great and I would just slowly make a profit daily, but I love the gamble of moving up stakes a little to much still, if i tone it down it would be great.:D:D