How did you learn to quickly calculate pot odds/equity?

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot for the help guys and peace! I really appreciate everyone's help in trying to explain and show me how to calculated the outs as well as the equity. :)

No problem m8, if you need anything just hit up. Remember, most of the time you will only need to calculate oesd (32%) or fd (36%) so you can memorize percentage or odds so when you compare it to the pot odds you can decide faster, bigger draws are rare and almost always you'll have right odds to call unless you are facing a huge overbet, but than again you can consider some other factors that can justify call but it is another topic

A

awmm1983

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have i hurt your feelings? First, what you have told him wasn't the answer to his question, second when you have talked the equity it wasn't correct, at least imo so i thought that if i respond with my logic you can explained your logic and calculation so if i was wrong i could learn, im here to discuss poker and learn and if i can to help someone.
If you are offended by my previous post, sorry. If you accept it we can discuss odds, outs, equity anything, if not, i can't really care less so it is up to you...

I realised my error and edited my post. Your manner is quite appalling though. However , lifes too short, eh. :) Regarding the below post.( i've reached my limit) You thought i was touchy? Pot and kettle had a race. Anyway, you were speaking of logic. Is it not illogical to not talk to someone ever again just because of one silly post? GL to you too.

Last edited:
DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I realised my error and edited my post. Your manner is quite appalling though. However , lifes too short, eh. :)

Listen, i apologized if i invoke anything that is not healthy discussion, however the roll eyes and sarcasm was uncalled-for, you might edited the post, that doesn't change how you reacted, if someone point me wrong at some poker theory i would be happy to learn and correct myself with that logic and intention i answered to your post... Anyway ill stay away from you and that is it... GL at the tables

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just to ask, if there is a straight draw and flush draw, do you count the outs separately and then add them out together? This is the part that I get confused.

For example:

Me: 8d7d

Flop: 6h Kd 9d

Based on what I've read from this thread I should calculate it like this:

52 - 2 (my cards) - 3 (flop) = 47 unseen cards

To hit a straight: 8*2 = 16%
To hit a flush: 9*2 = 16%

Do I add these up together? Or are they separate because they are outs for separate things?

Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot but the concept of calculating has always been lost on me. I'm really honestly math illiterate.

You're not alone, maths has never been my strong point. I get so angry with myself when I don't get it right :(

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not alone, maths has never been my strong point. I get so angry with myself when I don't get it right :(

I always get laughed at the table when I ask someone how they calculate the odds and how they're able to do it so fast. Worst when the response I get is "oh yeah, I forgot you're a girl". Not all females are weak in Math :mad: (Unfortunately I'm one of the few who's always had difficulty with it since young)

Some kinder souls have helped me calculate and even suggest Apps that will help calculate odds. I feel silly when it's not an all-in and I want to whip my phone out and calculate my odds and outs. But I'm glad for all the help I'm getting here. At least now I can understand the basic concepts to calculating it.

So now I have another question but I think I'll put it in a different thread to respect TS :)

Once again, thanks DrazaFFT and awmm1983!

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I always get laughed at the table when I ask someone how they calculate the odds and how they're able to do it so fast. Worst when the response I get is "oh yeah, I forgot you're a girl". Not all females are weak in Math :mad: (Unfortunately I'm one of the few who's always had difficulty with it since young)

Some kinder souls have helped me calculate and even suggest apps that will help calculate odds. I feel silly when it's not an all-in and I want to whip my phone out and calculate my odds and outs. But I'm glad for all the help I'm getting here. At least now I can understand the basic concepts to calculating it.

So now I have another question but I think I'll put it in a different thread to respect TS :)

Once again, thanks DrazaFFT and awmm1983!

Yea if it wasn't for people on here and strategy's telling you how to work these odds out, I would of pulled me hair out about now. The only problem with me I learn how to do it then I forget and have to learn to do it again. I definitely can't work it out in time for online I start shouting at my screen when it is beeping me telling me how long I have left before they muck my hand :D

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just read Bill Vosti's 6-max cash game and a good bit of information I picked up was regarding drawing odds is this....

Say you have 4 cards to the flush on the flop, therefore you have 9 outs.

For a quick calculation that works out pretty close all you do is this...

9 outs x 4 = 36% (turn)
9 outs x 2 = 18% (river)

So basically you work out the number of outs you have and multiply them by 4 with the turn and river still to come.

With only the river to come you multiply the number of outs by 2.
this

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator