How would you play pocket 10s

M

mange12345

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For what ever reason, I like to get pocket 10s in Texas Holdem. Can't really say why. But, I am interest in how others play these two cards.
Thanks and good luck on the felts,

Mike

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm trying to get a set. And on the board without overcards, I try not to pay too much to my opponents.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe call better option and all in less 25

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For what ever reason, I like to get pocket 10s in Texas Holdem. Can't really say why. But, I am interest in how others play these two cards.

Mike
Pocket tens are ok to play for little stakes because if you hit they are easy to make things happen. On the other hand always remember if you have pockets someone else does also. so be careful on higher cards because they could kill you.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You shouldn't rely on your luck. I myself had a while that I had a lot of success with 10 10 but I don't give it any more value because AA can also be easily beaten by better hands. Preflop I would probably do a 3 bet and then see what goes on the flop. And above all, watch how the others play at my table and, of course, the position where I sit at the table also plays a role. The supposedly best hand preflop can turn into a rivet on the flop, so you should always play your hands carefully

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on a lot of things, like you position, how deep you are, what type of game you playing, cant just say without a context, there has to be more parameters to at least give a good opinion about it.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I'm under 25 BB I'll go all in with par 10.

if I'm over 25 BB and I fold I raise 2x the BB and fold if a tight player 3-bets me.

If I'm high in chips, for example over 60 BB, I open to 2x the BB and call any 3-bet and call some SQUEEZE in position just to see the flop.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you at the cash table or in MTT? If you are open raising pocket 10s in MTT then the following raise the size:

a. Over 50 bb = 2.5x to 3bb

b 49bb to 25bb = 2.2 to 2.5bbs

c 24bb to 15bb - raise 2x to 2.2bb

d. Under 15bb look to shove all-in.

There are a number of factors on how you play 10 depending number of players in the hand and their playing styles.

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A pocket pair is just a couple, for some reason it's hard for me to play them. Factors are place, time and money.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm always raising with pocket tens.

A

ACE448

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well look at the probabilities. You have 10-10, a great preflop hand. What can your opponents have that could beat that? Obviously J-J, Q-Q, K-K, A-A, A-K, A-Q, A-J are all strong. So you can see whilst it is strong for sure, you need to be careful still. I probably wouldn't raise very often preflop with 10s. I'd rather see the flop and then build the aggression from there.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time when open raise TT but call when early position open tying to hit set when still deep stack.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i opened a similar thread asking how people play pocket TT

me personally i will raise preflop and will call a reraise and look at the flop . of course with the main goal to hit a set . but if i get too much aggression while at the same time i am confident that the opponent is not bluffing then i will let the hand go easily . i wont treat them as a premium hand

in a tournament it is a little different than in cash games . when i am rather short stacked i will push with them without any hesitation and will also play them a bit more aggressively than in cash games in general

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a good pair, of course not one of the best, I can even raise preflop (not a lot), wait for the flop, best position for me on the button, wait to see what will happen, I was already anxious and left the tournament, I'm always careful, sometimes too much, good luck

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
before you, everyone has dropped cards - raise, someone has raised - then call, there is nothing to invent here, this is a strong hand and is included in the range of hands with which you need to play

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think your question needs more context.

TT is a nice starting hand to get to see a flop cheaply, but whether you're advised to raise, 3-bet, 4-bet or shove pre-flop really depends on a number of factors. For example,

Stack size:
If you are in a normal to deep stack game but have < 10 BB, then TT for me is an opportunity to shove depending on upsstream action and tendencies of downstream. For TT to hold up, we need to be playing heads up. We don't want to be over-shoving TT in a multiway pot as that is pretty much suicide a significant portion of the time.

If you have a large stack, you should be protecting it. It's fine to get into a pot with TT, but in this instance, it isn't for survival heads up, but for set mining or taking down the pot post-flop on a low yet dry board. Be careful when there are low straight and flush draws. There are a LOT of hands that beat TT outright and lots of others which play favourably into straights and flushes and higher pairs post-flop.

Position:
Like any starting hand, you need to be strong to open from UTG and hand-strength can diminish somewhat as you progress around the table (subject to action before you). TT is strong enough to open from most positions.

The problem with TT comes with opponents entering the pot befire you. If you are playing against tight, aggressive (TAG) opponents, then the action in front is likely to be a raise (from 2.2 to 3.5BB) typically....not a limp. So already calling it off is a risk, but with a potentially big reward. If additional downstrem players get in the action, your chances of coming out on top continue to diminish. With any three-way pot, you should be prepared to be up against a premium starting hand and a pocket pair hand. As more flat call to join the pot, you're going to need to expect opponents with suited connectors, Uh, oh...TT is really in trouble as soon as any J, Q, K, or A hits the board.

Options...Standard raise to open. 3-bet when acting second (to close out the pot from getting multiway) Flat if entering a multiway pot.

Point in game:
Early game, TT is a set mining tool. Occassionally you'll get away with the pot post-flop with a low board and fewer players in the pot.
Mid game, possibly similar to early.
Bubble: It's a large raise and play aggressive with the right flop.
Late: Pretty mush a shove most of the time.

Opponents:
You can and will vary your actual decisions based on the table and game you're playing. Micros can have a lot of really loose play so you're always going to be on your guard, but if you're playing a very tight table, you can decide whether you want to battle or just steal blinds. Open raise < 3BB if you want people to join you. Open raise > 3BB when you're wanting to discourage the battle.

Generally though, TT is risky and depends on a favourable flop to continue. The reality here is: TT is worse than JJ and JJ is bloody dangerous (and there is allegedly no right way to play them!)

I love a pocket pair because sets are so well hidden you can often extract value. But be sure, when you do hit, that you are betting your sets and not trying to play trappy. First off -- never play trappy if you are "in position". It wastes a round of betting. The exception: if you flop a boat or stronger, you can *sometimes* to allow your opponent to improve. But with a set, you want to get money into the pot or take it down. Second, you've given free cards if you try and play trappy. Straights and flushes and bigger sets will screw you so you don't want to be letting those plays in the door for cheap.
What I'd recommend is you just play according to your position. If you are the aggressor. C-bet your flopped set. If you called a raise or three-bet, just check and let the aggressor determine the next action.
I do not recommend donk betting.
Donk betting is raising out of position rather than allowing the aggressor to instigate the pace. Donk betting your set is ill advised. You will reduce your EV in most situations by allowing your opponent to get out of a hand they were otherwise already likely to CBet.

Summary

Whilst I always like to see a mid-high pocket pair as my hole cards, it is important that you do not over-value this mediocre made hand.
Good for heads up and a low dry board.
Very difficult to continue with flop with high cards, particularly out of position if you do not hit a set.
Be careful out there.

Regards,
JT

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything will depend on the specific situation, on the size of your stack and the stage of the tournament, but basically we will play such a hand most often through a raise, especially if it is a cash game

ebazynski

ebazynski

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Carefully until short stacked, then shove.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket tens are already a high finished pair, but depending on the position and depth of the stacks, they can be played differently. You should definitely avoid limping with it, as in the case of a large number of players in the hand, any overpair on the flop will force you to fold into a pass.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
10'S are good but can be tricky
so be carefull and 3 bet only

NSX_Amfe2nat

NSX_Amfe2nat

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Try to be aggresive at preflop on the bubble but if is deep stacks playing like with AKs

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Mike
Well, still not so dangerous as you get pocket jacks.

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think your question needs more context.

TT is a nice starting hand to get to see a flop cheaply, but whether you're advised to raise, 3-bet, 4-bet or shove pre-flop really depends on a number of factors. For example,

Stack size:
If you are in a normal to deep stack game but have < 10 BB, then TT for me is an opportunity to shove depending on upsstream action and tendencies of downstream. For TT to hold up, we need to be playing heads up. We don't want to be over-shoving TT in a multiway pot as that is pretty much suicide a significant portion of the time.

If you have a large stack, you should be protecting it. It's fine to get into a pot with TT, but in this instance, it isn't for survival heads up, but for set mining or taking down the pot post-flop on a low yet dry board. Be careful when there are low straight and flush draws. There are a LOT of hands that beat TT outright and lots of others which play favourably into straights and flushes and higher pairs post-flop.

Position:
Like any starting hand, you need to be strong to open from UTG and hand-strength can diminish somewhat as you progress around the table (subject to action before you). TT is strong enough to open from most positions.

The problem with TT comes with opponents entering the pot befire you. If you are playing against tight, aggressive (TAG) opponents, then the action in front is likely to be a raise (from 2.2 to 3.5BB) typically....not a limp. So already calling it off is a risk, but with a potentially big reward. If additional downstrem players get in the action, your chances of coming out on top continue to diminish. With any three-way pot, you should be prepared to be up against a premium starting hand and a pocket pair hand. As more flat call to join the pot, you're going to need to expect opponents with suited connectors, Uh, oh...TT is really in trouble as soon as any J, Q, K, or A hits the board.

Options...Standard raise to open. 3-bet when acting second (to close out the pot from getting multiway) Flat if entering a multiway pot.

Point in game:
Early game, TT is a set mining tool. Occassionally you'll get away with the pot post-flop with a low board and fewer players in the pot.
Mid game, possibly similar to early.
Bubble: It's a large raise and play aggressive with the right flop.
Late: Pretty mush a shove most of the time.

Opponents:
You can and will vary your actual decisions based on the table and game you're playing. Micros can have a lot of really loose play so you're always going to be on your guard, but if you're playing a very tight table, you can decide whether you want to battle or just steal blinds. Open raise < 3BB if you want people to join you. Open raise > 3BB when you're wanting to discourage the battle.

Generally though, TT is risky and depends on a favourable flop to continue. The reality here is: TT is worse than JJ and JJ is bloody dangerous (and there is allegedly no right way to play them!)

I love a pocket pair because sets are so well hidden you can often extract value. But be sure, when you do hit, that you are betting your sets and not trying to play trappy. First off -- never play trappy if you are "in position". It wastes a round of betting. The exception: if you flop a boat or stronger, you can *sometimes* to allow your opponent to improve. But with a set, you want to get money into the pot or take it down. Second, you've given free cards if you try and play trappy. Straights and flushes and bigger sets will screw you so you don't want to be letting those plays in the door for cheap.
What I'd recommend is you just play according to your position. If you are the aggressor. C-bet your flopped set. If you called a raise or three-bet, just check and let the aggressor determine the next action.
I do not recommend donk betting.
Donk betting is raising out of position rather than allowing the aggressor to instigate the pace. Donk betting your set is ill advised. You will reduce your EV in most situations by allowing your opponent to get out of a hand they were otherwise already likely to CBet.

Summary

Whilst I always like to see a mid-high pocket pair as my hole cards, it is important that you do not over-value this mediocre made hand.
Good for heads up and a low dry board.
Very difficult to continue with flop with high cards, particularly out of position if you do not hit a set.
Be careful out there.

Regards,
JT
I think it's very interesting to look at the table.