How would you play AA

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to have ideally one caller--two at most. If you have been at the table a while, then you'll know the bet that will achieve this.

For me I'd much rather see everyone fold than a bunch of callers.

C

chuckhoffmann

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played (or misplayed, depending on how you see things) pocket aces from early position last night and let me tell you my tale of woe with pocket rockets.

I'm still a beginner, so I play very basic ABC poker and, I have to confess, make a lot of mistakes. The more advanced players here will probably wince when they read this.

This is at a full table for micro stakes. The game is no-limit hold 'em. I'm the big blind, so I'm last to act before the flop but I will be leading out for the rest of the hand. I put in my blind and am dealt As Ah.

The first two actors drop but the third actor raises the pot to 4 1/2 bets. Two more people drop out, but the next player, who's on the button, calls. The small blind drops.

I raise 5 1/2 times the big blind. Pot is now 12 times the blind. The first actor and the button both call me.

The flop comes 8s Kd 6s. I read spade flush draw, but I'm discounting the possibility of trips, especially trip kings. I bet the pot to try and push out anyone on flush draw. The first actor drops, but the button just calls.

The turn comes, 6d. Two pair for me, but I'm looking at trips, two flush draws, or even quads. I'm still focused on the flush draw, though, and bet the pot again.

I committed another error here, as well. I bet so much of my stack that I only had a nickel left for the river. My opponent calls.

The river comes, and it's 8c. Two pairs on the board. I toss my nickel in and am called. He's got 8h 4h, giving him a full boat, eights over sixes.

Summary: A good starting hand, badly played post-flop. I was so focused on the flush draw I didn't think about the possibility of trips, a full boat, or quads. I also crippled myself by going over the top at the turn, leaving myself with no leverage at the river if he'd whiffed his hand.

I think I played correctly until the flop, when I focused in on the flush draw to the exclusion of the trips. I definitely screwed up on the turn, completely missing the possibility of quads or a full boat.

FEARFACTOR

FEARFACTOR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are only two ways to play AA, and they're both wrong. LOL

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many different ways to play AA. I have won big pots by limping and trying to suck guys in and then if there is a raise going all in. Usually if a few players have bet at least one of them will fancy their chances. I have also lost a few like this because nobdy raised and once the flop is on the table it is a different game.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My method. Only time i would limp in under the gun and reraise is if I can sense the raiser. If there's a guy who keeps raising like an idiot, then I would limp in and then reraise all in. Of course, all in sounds stupid bcz pot odds aren't even correct and people will fold. But there are people who will call, thinking i have weak hand or i'm trying to steal the pot. But if I'm playing in a table full of rocks, then i NEVER slowplay or limp in with pocket Aces. never EVER.

This is my answer too. You wanna limp and get the SB hitting his 75 w/a Q75, go ahead - make his day. But tell you the truth, seems you only notice when the raiser raises. Seems like every hand, even if he just does it 1 out of 3 hands. I'd be worried that this is the 1 hand he folds, offering the limpers acting after him a sigh of relief.

There are only two ways to play AA, and they're both wrong. LOL

I believe the saying is There are 4 ways to play JJ, and they're all wrong. :p

Chuck, I think you played the hand well, your raises were enough, bad river, idiot gets rewarded for his only out.

Also like jovoga says, I'd never go all-in. Okay, only if there was a a couple limpers after me and a big raise. You have to laugh at these people that go all-in early, then show off their AA. I'm thinking "you idiot, your big chance to make $$$ and throw it away".

Last edited:
jovoga

jovoga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA.
At the button I played most often to ALL IN, but not in early phase if I play MTT.

At early position I raise POT size mainly, no all cases. If only 1 opponent stay and re-raise, I re-raise his bet.

So many new players go to ALLIN in all positions, it is a big mistake.

I speaking from my tournament experiences.:):)

A

ares

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the best strategy is always raising.. 85% of the time you are gonna win against another player but when your are against 3 or 4 players things get more difficult, raise and hope you get a head up..

Nevig

Nevig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL IN BABY!!!

Pocket Aces is by far the deadliest hand in hold 'em. Too often can you be blinded by how awesome the possibility to acquire those two cards are, when your opposition could very well have out drawn you. If you are one of those guys that can limp in with pockets, and time your re-raise to when it will generate the most amount of money for you, cool for you. The majority of the time I slow play Aces, I allow players to outdraw me, because of the checking. The value bets are also a lot lower than where I would like them to be when making them pay to see more. I prefer to play them as aggressively as possible, in order to ensure less fish on the river. Blinds, position, and the players sitting at the table are all key considerations when your thinking of how much to raise, in order to hit the sweet spot.

I prefer to keep the AA bets relatively closer to my other raises in the past, sometimes just a little bit higher.

Last edited:
B

BC7Falcons7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA's

The way I always like to play pocket AA's is allin before the flop. Sometimes though you have to look at the blinds, what position you are in and how many people are in the pot or at the table.

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the buy-in for me and the way the game is going. I typically only want to go against 1 or 2 players with A's, so if its a fast table, it's all-in, shut my eyes, and hope for the best. I'f I think a raise can isolate someone, I'll just put in a small raise.

M

maynard311

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to play AA so i just move all in with them whenever i get them. At least that way i'm always ahead preflop except vs another AA. Also, i can now complain if ever i lose because i was ahead to begin with.

I love that logic, I do the same thing unless im playing against people who know what they're doing.

XPOKERCHIC

XPOKERCHIC

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only limp with aces in early position if I have 30 BB and a few short stacks or a very aggressive player is following me. If you are in mid or late position you should raise and get rid of some small pairs and connected or suited cards from playing. Aces is just one pair and can easily be beat by ATC. X

F

fatnestor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends, during the final table getting suckout with is not so bad but mid game is worst. I try not to jeopardize my stack during the early game by going all in preflop with a bunch of maniacs at the table , it all depends on your table and perception.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try never to limp with any hand and when i do bet i bet the same 3-5 big blinds depending on my chip stack at the time.

AA is not a good drawing hand so you need to reduce the number of drawing hands from the pot.

J

joeey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you ask me, all of the ones you named off are all pretty good play's, that's almost everything you can do with pockets aa's except fold'em, as to what to do with them i really only like going with 3 options that i play with when i'm playing tournaments or just regular table games. ;)

1st. aa within the 1st hr of play raise 5x the bb then bet all-in after the flop
2nd. aa within the 1st 10 mins of the tourny game bet all-in
3rd. and its my favorite, slow play aa its always fun to see the flop, turn, river then go all-in

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try never to limp with any hand and when i do bet i bet the same 3-5 big blinds depending on my chip stack at the time.

AA is not a good drawing hand so you need to reduce the number of drawing hands from the pot.

I watch that happen to people all the time, where they limp and the blind hits two pair on the flop, it's awful. Gotta raise in order to get rid of ugly draws, unless you're early and there's a veryyyy strong chance of a raise behind you.

H

honos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AA like every other hand I play...2,5bb raise

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to slow roll AA.Next thing you know 67 suited takes u down.I like to raise big when i get em to try and weed those hands out and get it down to posiibly pokect pairs and high faces.That hhand will win alot more than it will lose but it will tear u down sometimes too.I guess it also depends on the players at my table and the stakes but i play them agressive most of the time

Nickmond

Nickmond

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just today I raised big with AA, and I guess the BB thought I was blind stealing and called with 46 suited...long story short, took a big hit when he hit a flush on the river...I seriously dread big hands, their like an invitation to be crushed by bad plays by others.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would first like to say that if you are pushing AA preflop, you are losing alot of value.
If you are not winning at least 80-90% of the time you hold AA, then you have a serious leak in your game.

As for the way I play AA, it's all situational.
But the generic response would have to be, I play them as I would play any hand I decide to get into the pot with and consists of raising period, as for how much, that is totally up to you.

R

realLycan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play AA in MTT , go ALL IN from any position... always someone is call. =)

U

uncc40niners

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Move all in preflop with AA to avoid having some junk hand call you and hit the flop.

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You Ask How To Play AA?

1st off..are they suited? if so you have 3 outs to hit your set,I would then slow play.

but anyway,I can think of many,many ways to play AAos. you'll have to
know how the players have been playing,and how they are playing at that moment you look down and your giant preflop monster.

so until you have played the game thousands of hours over,and you
have the ablilty to read your opponents NEXT moves. I would suggest raising LARGE with AAos from ANY position,no matter what the action was in front of you,until you can find better ways. (if there is even a better way)

goodluck

R

rampage2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DEPENDS ONS TRUCTURE AND BLINDS

DEPNDS ON STURCTURE AND BLINDS