How taking notes helps

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
55 hand, bet 2/3 flop, 2/3 turn, jam river. Easy game.

The hands you played were garbage and you played them badly. An ego will get you nowhere in poker. I sit there on skype and argue hands with people for the sake of my ego until finally I end up going, "Damn you're right. I feel stupid now." And I learn from that. Get rid of the ego if you want to learn from the forums. Otherwise all you're doing is puffing your chest out at the sign of any disagreement and you won't learn crap. Then 3 months from now when you've busted your roll for the 4th time, you're gonna think man I really wanna make a thread asking for help, but then i'll look stupid since I swore I had it all under control before.

See where I'm going with it? Be honest with yourself and with the people trying to help is all i'm saying. You're not that good yet. We know that, you know that. It doesn't make you stupid. It just makes you inexperienced as we all are/were. So just let the inadequacy show and learn!

I want to reply to this comment first. If this is the way my posts are coming across I apologize. In no way am I trying to tell anyone that I'm better than them I was only showing that by making notes you can exploit players, even if I do play the hands poorly. If what you took away from my comments is that I'm better than you that is not the message I'm trying to share.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 to what vinyl said....How the hell do you get value if you don't bet? . You don't seem to be paying any attention to villains stack sizes either. bet .08 would give .29 pot going into turn with one caller, .18 bet on turn would give .65 pot going into river and they'd have at most .56 behind then you can bet .40 and call a shove.

e,g a hand i played the other night
Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $25 (100 bb) 24/20 over 35 hands 5% 3bet (50/50 from CO)
BTN: $25 (100 bb)
SB: $26.19 (104.8 bb) 62/30 over 90 hands 2.5% 3bet (69/6 from SB)
Hero (BB): $42.16 (168.6 bb) was probably about 25/21 on that table
UTG: $25 (100 bb)
MP: $14.82 (59.3 bb) 83/33 over 12 hands (99/99 from MP)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif

UTG folds, MP raises to $0.50, CO raises to $2, BTN folds, SB calls $1.90, Hero calls $1.75, MP calls $1.50

Flop: ($8) 2
spade4.gif
K
spade4.gif
diamond4.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2.75, MP calls $2.75, CO calls $2.75, SB folds

Turn: ($16.25) 7
spade4.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets $5.50, MP calls $5.50, CO calls $5.50

River: ($32.75) 6
diamond4.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets $31.28, MP calls $4.57 and is all-in, CO calls $14.75 and is all-in

Results: $66.82 pot ($2 rake)
Final Board: 2
spade4.gif
K
spade4.gif
diamond4.gif
spade4.gif
diamond4.gif

CO showed A
heart4.gif
A
spade4.gif
and lost (-$25 net)
Hero showed 2
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
and won $64.82 ($39.82 net)
MP showed 5
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif
and lost (-$14.82 net)

notice how even with smallish bets that the megafish was pretty sure to call we end up with stacks in and half pot bet on the river.You should always be aware of how your bets affect the pot size not only on current street but later streets as well.

This is something that I want to work on. At the moment I've been betting based on the size of the pot vs the size of the stack. Using stack size as a way to build the pot is something that I've only starting thinking about in my last 2 sessions. The reason for this is I've gone in against a short stack who shoved when I had air. I'm going to be more careful and use that now against short stacked players.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lesson for you should be that you are quite happy to call your stack off vs aggression with Ace high , yet you have the absoulte nuts and check two streetswith it and then when you finally bet to try and get value you scare the others off because of the size of your bet

I appreciate your recommendation and posting your hand to show an example of how to play a hand like this.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check through alot to hide the strength of my hand as well. Its just that thats probably notvthe right way to go. Its pobably better to bet and i they dont have anything, you can always get it next time.

Good plan thanks.