How to study your Hand History

O

Ortwin1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm tracking my hand history with the free version of Hand2Note and I'm wondering how I should study it to finds leaks into my game? It is easy to identify when I lose at showdown what my mistakes where, but how do learn from hands for example when I folded on the flop and didn't know the cards of the villains and if that fold was a good or bad choice.

The only thing I find is on the web is buy software X and they will tell you the leaks, but I want to understand how these Apps decide if a play was bad or good.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi all,

I'm tracking my hand history with the free version of Hand2Note and I'm wondering how I should study it to finds leaks into my game? It is easy to identify when I lose at showdown what my mistakes where, but how do learn from hands for example when I folded on the flop and didn't know the cards of the villains and if that fold was a good or bad choice.

The only thing I find is on the web is buy software X and they will tell you the leaks, but I want to understand how these apps decide if a play was bad or good.

Looking for leaks is not simple and software wont really just tell you the problems. You need to figure out if there are issues in your game. Any time you make a decision your not sure about or question if you made correctly of not you need to write down. Once you have several similar hands you can then look to see if they're may be an issue.

Example. You raised preflop and was called by the SB 3diffent times. Each time you flop top pair and cbet all times when he checked to you. All 3 times you folded to a check raise. Lets just say you had AhJh all 3 times to make this easy.

the flops for all 3 are J 3 2 rainbow, J62 Rainbow and J87 all spaids. So is there a possable issue?

So on the 1st flop what type of player was the other guy. very agro or very passive? What did you think he had. Same for the other 2 flops.

So now what did you put him on in the 1st flop? A over pair? set or 2 pair? If he is agro or even passive would he 3 bet pre with Queens Kings and aces? Probably. What 2 pair would he have here? J3 or 2? nope 32 maybe? probably not. Set of 2's or 3? Makes sense there.

2nd flop, same thing. What 2 pair? J6 or J2 or 62? Nope. Sets of sixes and two's make sense.

3rd flop. same things. 2 pairs, 78 or J8 or J7. Yes to 78 and possible J8. Sets are a yes. Not would he play T9 this way. Yes he would. How about flushes? He could have on. Also a lot of flush and straight draws and combos are possible here.

So what do we see here. 3 hands are small sample size. Very small. The 3rd hand you can safely say you made a tight but very poss able good fold here.

hand 1 and 2 could be a sign of a leak. So why did you fold? If the players and very passive it might be good but if there aggressive you may have a leaks of folding to much to check raised. Was you 1st thought he could have 2 pair and sets? the sets would make sense but the 2 pair concern may be a issue as the 2 pairs on these hands dont make much scene. Are you afraid of the over pairs? You could be over concerned about the monster hands and over folding when they dont make sense.

If you have any questions let me know. Looking and finding true leaks are not easy and can be time consuming. They are worth finding if you really want to search for them.

O

Ortwin1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

that helped me alot. Will try to find similar hands where I was unsure and review them that way!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

The only thing I find is on the web is buy software X and they will tell you the leaks, but I want to understand how these apps decide if a play was bad or good.

Thank you for posting.

Working on ranges is what helps us know if we are making correct plays post flop.

So we have to learn to estimate what our Villains bets might mean beyond just they have the nuts so we fold.

Example

BTN raises we call from BB flop is A 7 4 R We check -BTN bets what range of hands should the BTN bet in that spot if they play GTO?

Do you have access to GTO charts? They will help you think about ranges here.
You can find free charts online.

If we had 97 here are we calling or raising? what about 85? 43s? etc etc.

Building ranges by comparing your V range to GTO is how we learn to recognize when we make folding mistakes if we are making them

Hope this helps
:):)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It's no secret that hand histories can be saved using tracking software such as Holdem Manager.ln addition,poker room clients allow you to view played hands through replayers.

O

Ortwin1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting.

Working on ranges is what helps us know if we are making correct plays post flop.

So we have to learn to estimate what our Villains bets might mean beyond just they have the nuts so we fold.

Example

BTN raises we call from BB flop is A 7 4 R We check -BTN bets what range of hands should the BTN bet in that spot if they play GTO?

Do you have access to GTO charts? They will help you think about ranges here.
You can find free charts online.

If we had 97 here are we calling or raising? what about 85? 43s? etc etc.

Building ranges by comparing your V range to GTO is how we learn to recognize when we make folding mistakes if we are making them

Hope this helps
:):)

Hi,

that's something I already focus in my study and how to categorize players to certain player types :) Thanks für your answer

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you say "find a leak", it depends on your point of view and way of thinking, so it cannot be said unconditionally.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone would have some big leaks in their games, such leaks can be easily fixed through repeatedly replay your big loser hands, so you have deep impression of your obvious mistakes and try not to commit them again.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just a thought but suggestion would be take your first winnings and invest it in a full version of Poker Tracker or Holdem Manager so you can get the most out of your available time to study your game and detects your leaks.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personnally, I review spots where I lose a lot, and try to understand if it was a mistake or not, flopzilla might be helpful for this.
Than I look at the spots where I win big pots, and see if it was luck or an ev+ play.
After what I try to look for hands I didn't maximize my ev, those who I win small pots, and lose on them a couple of bb for not valuebetting

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking for leaks is not simple and software wont really just tell you the problems. You need to figure out if there are issues in your game. Any time you make a decision your not sure about or question if you made correctly of not you need to write down. Once you have several similar hands you can then look to see if they're may be an issue.

Example. You raised preflop and was called by the SB 3diffent times. Each time you flop top pair and cbet all times when he checked to you. All 3 times you folded to a check raise. Lets just say you had AhJh all 3 times to make this easy.

the flops for all 3 are J 3 2 rainbow, J62 Rainbow and J87 all spaids. So is there a possable issue?

So on the 1st flop what type of player was the other guy. very agro or very passive? What did you think he had. Same for the other 2 flops.

So now what did you put him on in the 1st flop? A over pair? set or 2 pair? If he is agro or even passive would he 3 bet pre with Queens Kings and aces? Probably. What 2 pair would he have here? J3 or 2? nope 32 maybe? probably not. Set of 2's or 3? Makes sense there.

2nd flop, same thing. What 2 pair? J6 or J2 or 62? Nope. Sets of sixes and two's make sense.

3rd flop. same things. 2 pairs, 78 or J8 or J7. Yes to 78 and possible J8. Sets are a yes. Not would he play T9 this way. Yes he would. How about flushes? He could have on. Also a lot of flush and straight draws and combos are possible here.

So what do we see here. 3 hands are small sample size. Very small. The 3rd hand you can safely say you made a tight but very poss able good fold here.

hand 1 and 2 could be a sign of a leak. So why did you fold? If the players and very passive it might be good but if there aggressive you may have a leaks of folding to much to check raised. Was you 1st thought he could have 2 pair and sets? the sets would make sense but the 2 pair concern may be a issue as the 2 pairs on these hands dont make much scene. Are you afraid of the over pairs? You could be over concerned about the monster hands and over folding when they dont make sense.

If you have any questions let me know. Looking and finding true leaks are not easy and can be time consuming. They are worth finding if you really want to search for them.

If you don’t know what your leaks are there’s no way on God’s green earth you can find and fix them yourself.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands