How to play starting freeolls tournaments?

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes you can't just wait for premium hands. You need to exploit the blinds in a good position like the button or cut-off, sometimes even raising in middle position with caution.
And remind that freerolls tourney we've got nothing to loose, so it's much more common to see loose opponents.

M

Maximum

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80% of the field in freerolls play almost every hand ,you must play more aggressive like make bigger preflop and post flop bets . Do not bluff much often and bet only for value v multi opponents

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I get very angry when I am in freerolls and the bad guys pay out everything, but the good hands don't show up for me and the blinds go up and I run out of room. What to do?
widen your range and try playing in position. to be eaten up by blinds is the most common problem

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I get really angry when I'm in freerolls and the bad guys pay for everything, but the good hands don't show up and the blind ones come up and I run out of space. What to do?
It's important to know your opponent, wait for a hand to see how he acts and then, if you don't get good hands, you can try bluffing or trying projects.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get very angry when I am in freerolls and the bad guys pay out everything, but the good hands don't show up for me and the blinds go up and I run out of room. What to do?
Calm down. A freeroll is a freeroll. Until it gets ITM there is no value.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
All in general we go through ups and downs, it is very common in freerolls the crazy go to the All-in, have patience, wait for your position and risk, good luck

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when they are freerolls most players play all hands, that's why you should play more solid and try to make big pots against them, but if they don't give you hands no way.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just being patient with hand don’t make any unnecessary calls play with solid hands and hope for the best.

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Heres a few charts that may help you. I also put a outs chart at the bottom for you. You just gotta keep at it and loosen up when you need to. Make executive decisions based upon where you are at in the tournament...the large your stack the more time you have to make wiser calls and realise being a chip bully when you have a large stack can easily back fire.
27d07982-17b2-11e6-83cc-9efd8391e25d.UTG.png

Attachments

• outs.png
    outs.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 6
Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you don't have a hand, then you should play on medium hands pretending to be a strong hand, so many players do this, you probably think everyone always gets a strong hand:)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
You can't win a tournament playing only good hands. You have to take spots in position attacking the blinds. Knowing your pre-flop equity vs their ranges. Pushing with less than 15bb... You can take a look at the cardschat course, there are some stuff that can help you.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
When I play freerolls I have several rules:
-I play for fun
-I'm not as disciplined as I am in paying tournaments
-I seek action with more starting hands

Especially in satelite freerolls after the start of the tournament I go AIPF with medium or higher hands (or even bad ones) just to double up and if it works I get more and more tighter (up to the point when BB pressures me again). Also if I see all in player (regardless of his chip count) I pressure him with my AIPF.

If it doesn't work I go on to the next one.

So, my suggestion would be that you don't count freerolls so seriously as I think you do (easier said than done, I know).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember that you are playing for free, so lighten up and enjoy playing, whatever the result may be :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
all in or fold is a good way to play freerolls. If you are not willing to go all in with a hand, I would not be entering the hand in the first place when it comes to freerolls.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Heres a few charts that may help you. I also put a outs chart at the bottom for you. You just gotta keep at it and loosen up when you need to. Make executive decisions based upon where you are at in the tournament...the large your stack the more time you have to make wiser calls and realise being a chip bully when you have a large stack can easily back fire.
27d07982-17b2-11e6-83cc-9efd8391e25d.UTG.png
From what position this graph? In some late positions i can include more hands..

J

jack12de

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Freerolls aren't just normal tournaments either. I don't play normally either. For the first few minutes I go all-in with almost every hand. Until I eliminated or tripled. Then I either invested little time or had better chances of making money.
And if it doesn't work, then so be it. This is poker...

Last edited:
Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Freerolls is an all-in bingo game in most cases until the extended bubble phase. Not to be compared to a real money tournament.
Don't be angry if 92o busts your AA. That's part of the freeroll. If you play enough freerolls, you too will get a ticket once.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker freerolls are interesting for gamblers who pursue such goals: a way to play without having any experience, the desire to have a good time without the desire to win and participate in competitions for the sake of receiving prizes.When playing poker freerolls, it is worth pursuing an aggressive poker strategy. It's best to only bet with a strong hand by raising the bet. Having collected a good hand in poker, the gambler should make large deposits in order to knock opponents out of the pot in order to prevent them from getting stronger cards. If during the deal a player has a set, and then a dubious card comes, you should play with extreme caution. When participating in such tournaments, it would be wise to refrain from bluffing in poker and trying to catch your outs in poker for large sums.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thank you all very much for your answers. I confess that some of them I found funny, because my intention is to use the freerolls to train certain skills without having to spend money for it. But from what I see, this tactic should be used more at low buy-ins. I have been able to go far in freerolls, but most of the time I find myself in the situation explained.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes you can't just wait for premium hands. You need to exploit the blinds in a good position like the button or cut-off, sometimes even raising in middle position with caution.
And remind that freerolls tourney we've got nothing to loose, so it's much more common to see loose opponents.
What kind of hands would be recommended?

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's important to know your opponent, wait for a hand to see how he acts and then, if you don't get good hands, you can try bluffing or trying projects.
But it is difficult to know your opponent at the beginning of a tournament, except in the case of constant all-ins in the first few hands.

Bazil777

Bazil777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Starting out in freeroll tournaments can be a frustrating experience, but it's important to remember that it is still poker and the same principles apply.

One key strategy is to be patient and wait for premium hands before getting involved in big pots. Don't get tempted to play marginal hands just because it's a freeroll and there's no buy-in. You still need to preserve your stack and make good decisions.

Another tip is to focus on position and try to play hands in late position where you have more information on your opponents' actions.

Lastly, it's important to maintain a positive mindset and not get too frustrated when things don't go your way. Remember, it's a free tournament and you can always try again in the next one. Good luck!

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
You have a maximum of 3-4 hands that you can miss, after which you need to play the pot. Now many freerolls offer enough prizes for good tournaments, for example the Sunday Million freerolls, it is worth having some cents so that in case of a bust, try to pay a little for re-entry and survive until the end of late registration and make an addon.😎

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You need Patience, position,persistance and a whole lotta luck, Hang in there