How to play JJ

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I lost many hand when I had J J. How is it best to play this hand, or even Q Q. I usually raise preflop but end up losing to kings and aces. Should you just pay the big blind and hope for another J?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop JJ is usually a standard 3-bet, but against an EP open it can be fine to flat, especially if you have many players left to act behind you. However running JJ into QQ-AA a few times does not mean, you did anything wrong. Your opponents dont always have those specific few hands, and you are ahead of everything else.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone else goes all in preflop should I call and go all in as well with J J or play it safe and simply fold? I'm saying generally, because sometimes it depends

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be tricky, most players get too "excited" with a higher pair, including myself I've burned myself a lot at raising these pairs big.
Usually I start pushing strong from QQ or better (3bet), then u only gotta worry about a king or ace on the flop. Unless offcourse a donkey still goes all-in on the flop with AK & no hand, that happens..

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're considering limping and set mining with JJ, then it sounds like you're playing way too tight and passively, which may be your problem. JJ is a very good starting hand, with which you should be raising preflop and 3betting open raisers (except maybe a very tight player in EP). And then you should be betting aggressively on the flop - don't let Ax/Kx/Qx hands hang around to the river to make their pair.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's supposed whether A, K and Q go out by flop.

If It doesn't go out, when being strong and going, it's little to be reversed.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Play JJ like you would any other mediocre pocket pair.
Try to see a cheap flop.
Hope to hit a set or a low, dry board.
Do not over value this hand, especially early in a tourney.
This is not a shove hand from any position when deep stacked.
Be willing to lay it down if flop has A, K or Q and opponent bets.
Lastly, my signature line says it all for me...

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone else goes all in preflop should I call and go all in as well with J J or play it safe and simply fold? I'm saying generally, because sometimes it depends

Yeah in poker the answer is usually it depends. I dont believe there is anyone you must always do. What you shd do depends on many variables with that particular hand.

So this is where experience and poker common sense comes in.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you open with this card, then look at the flop and play with the flop card in mind. If an ace, king, or queen comes up on the flop, you should play carefully out of your opponent. Although even if these cards are not present on the flop, it is possible that the opponent received a set or two pair.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Until the flop appears on the table, do not rush to place your bets. This is particularly the case for a player with pocket jacks who is in early position. Playing JJ with an average pair is their objective assessment. Call in this position if only because subsequent players may have shorter cards.
Of course, you can raise, but only if you understand that you are playing with tight players who can fold like AQ, AJ, A10. If you play with aggressors, then all the more hold on to your preflop raises - keep in mind that every preflop bet you make will be supported in the same way as your cbet already on the flop.
A good raise with jacks is from late position. Here, if there were no raises and reraises before you, you already at least have an idea of ​​the potential of your opponents.