How To Play JJ

M

msankadi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha this is amazing...started the video of thinking that I might actually learn how to play jacks...

by the end of it I was literally LOL

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How have I never seen this? Although everytime I see FT and PS tables I get flashbacks and my poker PTSD kicks in..FML ;)

S

sonic0691

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn this is funny. I feel the same way about AQ...Every time I get AQ my first thought is "Oh s**t."

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn this is funny. I feel the same way about AQ...Every time I get AQ my first thought is "Oh s**t."
AQ is a trouble hand in a super nitty/polarized dynamic. Elsewhere? Nah. If people are capable of calling down worse Aces AQ is usually fine. In fact, in LP/blind play AQ is a REALLY good hand to have.

fasteddee74

fasteddee74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video! I say 3 bet and 4 bet em. Quit flatting!

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unfbelievable

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Same shit happens to me always, great vids, made me lol.

T

terminaex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a tricky hand to play and if any over-cards appear on the flop, you're sunk.

This is how I tend to play JJ in a tournament (might be appropriate for cash games as well)
:
First to open (from any position):
Std PFR to 3-5X BB

In a limped pot:
MP: Makes the appropriate 4-bet to 3XBB + (1BB for each limper) [reduce depending on stake sizes]

LP: 3-bet to 4-6XBB (kill off all the junk hands and try to see a flop)

In a raised pot:
This is where everything can either go perfectly or completely haywire.

If your opponent is a loose player. You might want to 4 bet to 2.5X the original raise to see where you're at. If he flat calls, he's likely holding a drawing hand. Let's face it, if you old the overpair to a dry flop there is no way you are getting away from it: just shove and hope to take the pot down immediately.

If your opponent is a tight player that rarely if ever 3-bets. Make the 4-bet. If he comes over the top of you, just kiss your jacks goodbye and muck. If you sense that it might be AK, decided if you want to take the flip.