ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Sometimes I think I play a hand well and when nothing comes up on the flop or I lose the hand, I come for advice. These are my ways of playing the following cards.

AA: call 5bb or all in if I see a lot of people in the hand

kk:call 5bb or all in

AK: call 4bb minimum or all in if I go 1v1

AQ:call 3bb if I shoved all in fold!

How do you play these cards?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sometimes I think I play a hand well and when nothing comes up on the flop or I lose the hand, I come for advice. These are my ways of playing the following cards.

It really depends on the circumstances...

Unfortunately there aren't really any "one size fits all" ways to play any hand, as there are many factors which should be considered when making decisions.

However you have mentioned the action of opponents in front, which is obviously very important when choosing how to play a hand, if at all.

Relevant stack sizes are also crucial with regards to how we proceed, but really there are lots of key elements worth thinking about.

All the circumstantial stuff!

That's not to say we can't have a 'default strategy' but we do want to somewhat vary how we play as not to become predictable.

Personally, I generally like to play the very strong hands you mentioned (these are monsters and premium hands) aggressively (unless attempting to induce or trap) and then reassess the situation based on the board texture after each street.

Also when you say "AA: call 5bb" do you mean you will call bets from opponents of up to 5bb or that you will lead out (bet) 5bb?

ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It really depends on the circumstances...

Unfortunately, there are actually no “one-size-fits-all” ways to play any hand, as there are many factors that need to be considered when making decisions.

However, he mentioned the action of opponents in front, which is obviously very important when choosing how to play a hand, if at all.

Relevant stack sizes are also crucial to how we proceed, but there are really a lot of key elements worth thinking about.

All things circumstantial!

That's not to say that we can't have a 'predetermined strategy', but we do want to vary the way we play a bit so that it doesn't become predictable.

Personally, I generally like to play the very strong hands you mentioned (these are monster hands and premium hands) aggressively (unless I try to induce or catch) and then reevaluate the situation based on the texture of the board after each street.

Also, when you say “AA: go 5bb”, do you mean that you will match opponents bets of up to 5bb or that you will win (bets) 5bb?
5bb refers to 5 big blinds. I mean x5

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't have a standard way of playing these kind of hands. Depends a lot of the situation on the table. In a lot of situation I just called BB in hopping that other players will play the hand. In other situations I raised 3-5 BB or all in just to force players with weaker hands to fold

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think you're bet size should not vary according to your cards but rather to your stack size.

If you keep betting larger with (high) premium hands, players who notice that, won't call you anymore.

Therefore I'd suggest to make a more standard open with those cards and hope for some action. Also betting smaller might make other people 3-bet and potentially you can 4-bet or shove happily with AA, KK or AK :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AA, but especially with KK (because it is more vulnerable), it is worth narrowing down the opponents to 1 or 2 players and playing with him/her preferably for a stack on the flop.
Pushing all-in after a while just scares the opponents away, leaving them with a lot of chips, which is a loss.
AK and AQ are already much more vulnerable cards, so here too it is worth limiting the number of opponents (preferably not with all-in) and shaping the subsequent game depending on the flop (the quality of the opponent can also affect this).
The style of play should always be adapted to the table and the players.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I never play the same way twice with the same players, i do not want to be predictable so i change the way i play often.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
5bb refers to 5 big blinds. I mean x5
Funnily enough, I'm aware 5bb means five big blinds... :giggle:

My question was, what do you mean by "call" 5bb.

Emphasis on the 'call' part, not the '5bb' part... :)

Do you mean you are willing to call bets of up to 5bb if an opponent opens that amount, or do you mean you would open (bet), i.e. 'lead out' 5bb yourself?

A "call" is what we do when another player 'bets' or 'raises' and we then match that amount without increasing it.

If we bet or raise, I.E. the hero, that is referred to as a 'bet' or a 'raise', not a call. :)

One of the main reasons I ask this is because it is very risky to have 'set amounts' to bet with certain hands...

Say for example, whenever you are dealt AA or KK, you always bet 5bb, but when you are dealt QQ or JJ you always open with 4bb and when you are dealt 1010 or 99 you always make it 3bb to play...

How long do you think it will take observant opponents to realise that whenever you bet 5bb it always means you have aces or kings..? 🙂

I'm sure you know or at least can guess the answer - not very long!

One of the most important things to avoid in poker is being predictable.

You do not want to give your competition clear & consistent signals of exactly what cards you are holding or how strong you are.

Personally, my opening sizes are always* based on my position, not my cards.

Because I always open the exact same amount regardless of whether I have AA or 79s, this makes it difficult for players to know precisely what I'm playing - they can only put me on a 'range'.

Does that make sense? :)

*Unless up against rank amateurs, in which case I'd probably feel comfortable making all kinds of crazy plays...

Last edited:
HungarianBoy

HungarianBoy

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Hi! I can advise that with AA, if we are in the back pocket and 5 players have pushed all their chips, the correct play is to fold. But if 1-2 players only called before you and they didn't push all the chips in, then definitely go allin.I think don't push all the chips all the time in KK, rather raise 1/2 of the pot so that less players watch the flop and if the flop is not an A role. example Q 28 . then place all your chips. with this you have checked whether the terrain is clearA Q A K . so with these cards I . I rarely win. a 55 card is light years better. small cards win against these cards. definitely just give. you have to see the field for free. almost all of what I have written means that I have reached the early stages of the competition. towards the end of the competition, all the chips can be pushed in. (allin) Because of course this requires a lot of luck.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You rise or go all in with good cards

ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Interestingly, I know that 5bb means five big blinds... :giggle:

My question was, what do you mean by “ call” 5bb.

Emphasis on the 'call' part, not the '5bb' part...:)

Does it mean that you are willing to match bets from to 5bb if an opponent opens that amount, or does it mean that you would open (bet) yourself, that is, you would 'throw' 5bb?

A “call” is what we do when another player 'bets' or 'raises' and then we match that amount without increasing it.

If we bet or raise, that is, the hero, that is called a 'bet' or 'raise', not call.:)

One of the main reasons I ask this is because it is very risky to have “fixed amounts” to bet with certain hands...

Say, for example, every time you get dealt AA or KK, you always bet 5bb, but when you get dealt QQ or JJ you always open with 4bb and when you get dealt 1010 or 99 you always bet 3bb to play...

How long do you think it will take for observant opponents to realize that when you bet 5bb it always means you have aces or kings...? 🙂

I'm sure you know or at least can guess the answer, not long!

One of the most important things to avoid in poker is to be predictable.

You don't want to give your competition clear and consistent signals of exactly what cards you have or how strong you are.

Personally, my aperture sizes always* are based on my position, not my cards.

Because I always open the exact same amount regardless of whether I have AA or 79, this makes it difficult for players to know precisely what I am playing; they can only put me in a 'range'.

Does it make sense? :)

* Unless I'm facing rank amateurs, in which case I'd probably feel comfortable doing all kinds of crazy plays...
if I mean that if I get AA and I'm the first to speak, I go up to 5bb, now if a player paid 5bb before me, the next move is to raise to 10bb or all in depending on how much my stack is, now when I take 1010, 99, 55, I don't usually pay anything but I don't go up hoping to hook the trio.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
if I mean that if I get AA and I'm the first to speak, I go up to 5bb, now if a player paid 5bb before me, the next move is to raise to 10bb or all in depending on how much my stack is, now when I take 1010, 99, 55, I don't usually pay anything but I don't go up hoping to hook the trio.
OK, now I understand what you mean, thank you.

I would definitely advise against betting different amounts for different hands.

As explained in my earlier post, opponents will notice this and you will be playing with your cards 'face up', I.E. they will begin to know what you have/how strong you are.

My suggestion would be to choose bet sizing based on your position, not your hand.

These are my default opening sizes:

The Blinds:

SB: 4x/5x
BB: 3x

Early position:

UTG: 2x
UTG+1: 2.5x

Middle position:

MP: 2.5x
MP+1: 2.5x

Late Position:

HJ: 2.5x
CO: 2.5x
BTN: 3x

These are the opening sizes I use regardless of the cards I am holding.

If there are limpers in front, I will add 1bb for each limper to the normal amount I would open.

If a player has bet in front rather than limped, and I am strong enough, I will usually raise 3x their bet.

You can set your sizes to whatever you feel is best or are comfortable with but I can highly recommend sizing based on position rather than starting hand strength.

It will better disguise your hands and help keep your opponents guessing, rather than telegraphing to them exactly what you have... ;)

I remember when I first discovered this opening technique, it was a real gamechanger for me, I hope it is for you too!

Best of luck out there... (y)

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Fold em all stick to 72 thats what I advise all my competion to do