How to play against aggressive opponents?

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to be cunning and not blunt if you feel pressure, you can always find a way and a situation to grabs the chips, but then you should not "climb into the snail" but rather on the contrary several times to air the stack, if possible

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have him and you, just all in. It is works. trust to the cards.

Crispoker540

Crispoker540

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient and wait for a good hand. If your stack is melting away you should push with Ax, a medium pocket pair or broadway cards.
I play like this vs agrssive opponent! its really great

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient and wait for a good hand. If your stack is melting away you should push with Ax, a medium pocket pair or broadway cards.

A lot of times these players dig their own grave. It may not seem fun while they're constantly raising and re-raising you, but you can have fun knowing that eventually they'll get what's coming to them, especially in a tournament. There is no need to play aggressive back until you have a leg up on them. No tricks, nothing fancy, just wait for your opportunity. These types of players are the type to double you up. I love playing opponents like this

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can hold out a good hand and punish him or if the cards don't come you need to play more aggressively than the aggressor

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LAMENTATION

PERSONAL, my mourning here is simple and has nothing to do with a bad or something. Spend a month playing many days, rarely entering ICM, studying a lot, doing a lot of trial adjustments to be falling in flips, taking 80% to 20% or finding direct AA ahead gives an endless sorrow, nor know how to describe. I played 4 SCOOP tournaments and ****ed me in all of the different ways, always with that great feeling that will not have to work. That will not give anything right. This past month has been terrible in the league, when I open foldo AQ UTG for the allin the guy shows a A9, A10 call when I give the guy loose opened up all ta KK. It's a big hell transformed card game, a general pandemonium.

Does anyone else have this feeling? I had good results at the beginning of the year, some good results last year, but this kind of situation and the search for adjustments and ineffective study has left me very sad and serious thought to stop playing. It was something to try to help a little bit in the money with the work. It has worn me. Maybe sit & go play more and less MTTs which are long and very hurt when we play for a lot of hours without result.

Hugs

petshpe

petshpe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to play against aggressive opponents? there's only one answer to this Question.. Play Poker

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be patient, wait a good hand and make slowplay

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it to play against such players. But in that case i waite for good hands or push A high. If you put pressure first on him, he hasnt the chance to pressure you.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggression and calm

Playing against aggressive players requires a lot of constant patience. Also very useful is the ability to determine the frequency of their pressure. That is, how often they threaten with their aggressiveness at the table to all rivals, it is you, and the most tight player. The point is to catch such a person on his very strong hand and get the most out of him in this draw. Or even through provoking him to raise, put an all-in and pick up a very big bank. They need to pretend and pretend that the next big raise will make you throw the cards into a pass. You must turn his own weapon against himself.:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

POKERRANSOM

POKERRANSOM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp in on an aggressive table or player with AA or a premium hand to get a raise out of em the go all in on them but you have to have a premium hand because with aggressive players who are raising all the time you never know when they are rasing a big hand

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience, limp in with good cards. check/raising would definitely put pressure on the aggressor. works well for me

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, every good poker player is an aggressive poker player. There are certainly key moments of exceptions, and these can come into play more when you’re playing someone that is a reg but doesn’t know that you are—because if you play passively and the villain knows you are generally an aggressive player, this should put up a red flag to him. Always try to be thinking at least one level above all of your opponents, even if they’re hyper aggressive :)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You go back to probability. If two hole cards haven't hit in a while and similar hole cards, like a pair in hole is do, trips hit a third of time, right, 5 chances 13 pips, then go all-in.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think wait to have a really good hand, then, wait the river and go all in.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi there.I prefer to check a monster flop or river if i know opponent is agressive player.Check raise or check call is a good strategy to gain value from a top hand .

danelyCS

danelyCS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This for me depends a lot on the type of game, type of table and if that agresive person is only a Fish or is someone expert who knows very well what he is doing.

If it is a CASH table and you see there is an aggressive player, but this is just a Fish, then it is worth waiting for big pots and playing the hands with acceptable cards.
But if you see that he is an aggressive player and you realize that he knows very well or what he does, then you look for another table to play.

Last edited:
TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like playing against aggressive players, it is usually against this type of players that you get the chips easier. You need to have patience to observe him and get a good hand.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when an aggressive player is on the table it seems more easy to make money than when you have nothing but tight players that only play premium hands. also in tournaments they seem to give you a boost in chips which its why I like it more compare to the opposite player.

ganbat

ganbat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight, unless it's limit game, or final table.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The right way to fight aggression is to tune your ranges. If our rivals really play too loosely and aggressively, then we just need to make our ranges more tight.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wait for a good hand and a good sitution for you. Of course, you can win if you will take some patience and play the wright way.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand where you are coming from but I tend to disagree at least to some extent how fun it can be to play at a table with a very aggressive player. If your idea of "fun" means seeing a lot of cheap flops and hitting big then I understand your dilemma. There are many different kinds of aggressive players though. Pay attention and learn which one you are up against. Are they only aggressive in late position? Are they slowing down in certain spots or against certain opponents? Are they showing down any two random cards or do they generally have top 25% hands? How do they respond to aggression? Do they always just come back over the top? Do they play their premium hands the same way as their more marginal hands? If you are paying attention you will still be able to find holes in their approach. In general you will want to play a stronger range against them. If you are playing within your bankroll and don't mind losing your stack the most profitable but also more risky approach is often to play tight passive. They keep betting, and you keep calling with top pair+ or even second pair in some cases if it's a maniac. If they fold to aggression and you want to avoid some risk you can re-raise the top of your range and take smaller pots. These players can be gold mines but they can also wake up with a hand or hit a draw and take your stack. In general if we pay attention we can put ourselves in a position to win much more often than we lose though. Also pay attention to how the rest of the table is reacting to this player. Some will try to fight fire with fire and re-raise light. Others will do the opposite and start limping with KK trying to trap. It's a lot to keep track of but it will pay off in many cases if you do. To summarize:
1 - Try to have position on the LAG
2 - Tighten your range
3 - 3 bet your tighter range pre if they will still call, this will also help iso against the rest of the table.
4 - Don't be afraid to play passive and call down light. If you call pre with AJo and flop a pair and V keeps betting. Don't give them a chance to fold by raising your top pair on the flop if they will just keep betting. Just call until they check, then bet for value. If they will always call then go ahead and raise but most LAGs will slow down eventually when they realize you aren't folding and are showing strength. Sometimes you will have to call even when the run out is nasty.
5 - Watch out for other players setting traps.

Good answer. I have nothing to say.
It's nice when you have competent people at the poker table.