How often you call preflop all-in with AK?

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is typical situation, when you raise preflop with AK and somebody make re-raise all-in...

So my question you understand.

Corrective: I mean CASH tables NL-2, NL-5

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depend on table dynamic ,against a lag i instacall.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably far too often because you are probably looking at a flip at best.
These online poker rooms don't seem to favor the AK.
especially Joker Stars. :) :)

MARE12KING

MARE12KING

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on situation, but I would tell I call it very often :)

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll almost always call a shove with AK. Too often I see people shoving hands like AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT and JT. I want to punish those people. Plus I'm almost a 50/50 flip against QQ and below. I only really have to worry about AA or KK.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in cash game ill maybe call all-in only with suited AK, but never with off
in tournament ill call this all-in (even can make this move first), and its ending not good for me / often :)

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the situation, but I would call in most cases.

C

colacho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think it depends on the situation and the amount of chips which makes re rise , but usually pay because sometimes we are ahead of many hands that can get to be the villain

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on many things, assuming I am playing my usual 4nl cash game.

Notes on player
Are they on tilt or playing tight
How big is their stack
How many people are left to act behind
Who is left to act behind

As to a totally rough ball park figure I would say around 15%, and most of them will be against a player who is on spewtard with very few if anybody to act behind.

C

colacho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think it depends on the situation and the amount of chips which makes re rise , but usually pay because sometimes we are ahead of many hands that can get to be the villain

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called almost every time. But I can tell you honestly that I have lost about 50% or even more.. So I dont call often anymore. Its hard I know, but its the right way not to call every time. It depends on the situation of course.

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not very often will i call as most times when i hold ak it dont come

Saperion

Saperion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont call very often all in with Ak, unless the player is a bad one.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You mean I make a standard 2 bet and someone just shoves outright? I don't think I have ever folded AK to a 3 bet and probably don't see that happening. Good players don't just 3 bet shove a full stack and even if they do it's rarely with AA. If someone has a < 100 BB stack then it doesn't matter who they are I am never folding AK pre.

K

Kekule

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the table dynamics, the relative stacks, and position.

If a tight player, with an even sized stack, raises all in with 3+ people behind him left to act, folding seems like the best option.

However, if a short stack who has a high VPP % does it, I'm typically going to instacall.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer the OP... a lot.

I've folded AK pre a whole lot of the time also (HUDs are fun) but speaking generally that's more the exception than it is the rule.

There was a time when I decided I was calling a little too often with AK in the game I was playing at the time and threw away my AKo combinations with a club in them. I've moved away from that however lol and rely more now on various other things to help determine whether or not to call off.

Something for you budding poker players to think about is how many live hands have shown strength before the shove. Not only is the hand a lot stronger on average jamming into multiple people but the outs you're drawing to with AK are more likely to be in other hands as opposed to in the deck than if most of the table open mucks before things get crazy.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most often. Good plays don't do it and AK is good enough for bad players. Sure you will be behind or flipping some times or they will suck out with 8T suited but I have found it profitable.

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to have a good read on your opponent. If they are shoving with any pair, you are behind and it won't be profitable to make the call. If it is probable that they are shoving with anything else then you are in good shape. If anyone else calls before it gets back to you, the chances that someone will suck out are too high.

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People do serious mistakes on those stakes (2nl and 5nl) so you could easily be against a far more weaker hand like AQ or AJ or even A10s and stuff. You are not in bad shape against pocket pairs too, except AA and KK which you block and are less likely for your opponent to have. If you are not the first to have raised and you 3bet and somenone shoves all in then you already have invested in this pot so letting him get away with something that would me a flip worst case is a mistake. If you just raise and someone goes all in and you have info that is a very tight player then folding your AK is not a bad play.

R

Ruben Kassab

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i only go all-in when its the same suit

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only do it if there is a maniac/fish at the table shoving all-in pre with Ax, KJ and garbage like that. I pound my fist on the table like a caveman when I lose to trash like QJ, though.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the opp is a fish or very aggressive. Or if the bank includes something already what occurs when there are folded limper's bets or antes. Because you have about 45% vs pairs and you need some compensation for a little "underdogging".

L

lukyl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if they have 4 bet, is it a 5 bet shove?

D

Dannte

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not very often, unless I'm calling against a very lose player who likes to shove or against a tilted player. I mean, why do it in other case? Any pair has about 55% on you.
I only call/shove with KK or AA against the rest.

N

nikolica11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never call vs tight player, never call vs two players. in other situations you can call in late position, and always call vs shortstack. :)