How much is down to luck?

R

Redhawk247

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes its a game of skill, but in my short time playing a lot of it seems to be down to luck, or is it just the level im at?

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider it to be 70% skill 30% luck

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the short term, luck is everything. It's difficult to lose a tournament if you're ahead of your opponents every hand you play.

But, in the long term, skill is everything. Given thousands, or even millions of hands, luck becomes less and less of a factor.

For example, take a coin. If it's heads you win tails you lose. Flip it once. You either win or lose 100% of the time. But, if you flip it thousands or even millions of times, you get to a point where you're going to have won almost exactly as much as you lost. With so many hands, you need skill to expect to win more than you lose. In the context of the coin example, a player would be trying to weigh the coin in their favor. By becoming a better player, or weighing the coin, the player hopes to win more than they lose and therefore, make a profit.

Being in especially low stakes, skills would actually be more effective than in higher stakes because of the fact that everyone in your stakes are generally worse. I'd recommend you invest some time into studying poker strategy.

CardsChat provides a really good 30 day course if you're interested. If you utilize it well, I'm sure you'll start to se better results in the lower stakes
Here's the link: https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my case it is 90% luck and 10% skill)))

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I look at it as if it were golf.
A hole in one can happen to a non Professional but with-out basic skills and practice it never happens.
We all can improve but will always need luck to win a tournament.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in modern poker 60 % luck...in all rooms

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short term luck is everything, in longer is nothing. For example last night i won pocket 22 vs pocket AA as i hit 2 on the flop, next time i won on river card and next time i lost on river card.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
95% skill. Luck accompanies you at opportune moments, but you will only go far if you have the technique.:):)