How much do you think is ideal to study per week?

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on what you want from your poker life. If you just looking to improve a couple of hours a week is helpful. If you want to improve but not be a serious player 5 to 8 hours a week is a good number. If you want to be a really good player 10 to 20 hours a week is important. TO play on a professional level I have read many top pros study and review 30+ hours a week. Again, ai have read starting players who wanted to play professional studied 70+ hours a week with very limited play at times.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know if the objective is cultural or poker.
Cultural, lifelong.
Poker, until today I'm learning, and I started between 13 and 15 years old, today I'm 68

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think 5-7 hours is enough. But everyone has their own approach to this issue. For example, I don't study at all because I simply don't have time for it.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should spend as much time studying as playing .... but thats no fun ! I sure dont .

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just go by what you feel like doing. If you're in the mood, then put some time into improving your game.
If not, then don't try to force yourself.

Forcing it or making poker feel like a job or school is the fastest way to lose playing motivation. That and setting your expectations higher than what you're capable of.

Vladqt

Vladqt

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
you can play and at the same time watch streams of experienced players who comment on their actions

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you study the better you will get, its just comes down to how you want to allocate your time.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it can vary depending on individual goals, commitments, and current skill level, but it should be 10-20 hours per week.
20 hours per week? Are we talking about playing poker or getting a medical degree? :LOL:

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
2-3 hours a day if you have time to study poker and you will feel better I think it's enough if you can do it every day then you will learn a lot every day the main thing is not to be lazy and learn if time allows and you are serious about poker then you should do it

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Each of us has our own personal characteristics, so this time can and should be different for everyone. Personally, one hour a day would be quite enough for me. But unfortunately, I am very lazy and in fact I only learn from my own mistakes.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on how long the person has been playing poker, it may be better to study rather than play all day.

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that you just need to set mini goals and go to them, without thinking whether you fit into the deadline or not. It seems to me that with such an attitude there is not much desire to learn for oneself. for example, learn some range while practicing somewhere, and look at other ranges, I think this is what you need

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you are starting out it can be quite difficult to study for long periods of time. For some people 10 minutes every day is the most beneficial, for others, a deep dive for 6 hours straight works best.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, it depends on your goal, and where in your development, you are. Its also just an important to think about, HOW you are going to study. There are many things, that can be considered as studying poker, including:

* Reviewing your hands​
* Checking your statistics​
* Watching training videos​
* Reading books​
* Using software​
* Watching games with hole cards shown​
* Watching streamers​

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When I used to play a lot more when I was younger I used to pick the poker players I idolised and then buy their books. Gus Hansen was a favourite of mine because he always used to wear a different hat (figuratively speaking) at every tournament. Will he be wild this time, closed, open or a bit unpredictable. It was really good.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
By coincidence I have just read the following in Purposeful Practice for poker by Dr Patricia Cardner and Gareth James:
Your study time needs to have your full, undivided attention....set a period of time each day ( or at minimum several times a week) to work towards the process goals... For best results, you should stick to relatively short, but intense study sessions. If you can only stay fully focused for 20 minutes at a time, then start there. As you more experience with maintaining deep focus, you can build up your time commitment. But be advised that most research indicates that 4 hours of intense focused work is the maximum that most people can do.

So, basically; short, intense sessions will be more beneficial than an all day session.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it will depend of the person, some people like to study a lot, so they can easily study 2 hours per day and if it's something that they love could study even more

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't have to learn at all and play the best!

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on how far you want to go. If you think of poker as a lifestyle, I think it should be compatible with the workload of a university, at least, because if you think about being a professional, you have to study like a professional.
In my case I am a convinced amateur and I play for fun, I think a few hours well directed are enough.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When I was used to play a daily 2-3 hour session, I used to study 20-30 minutes. Now I'm not studying so much, I think that depends on what's your goal.

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
The optimal amount of time to study poker per week depends on your ability to absorb the information and your overall availability. However, as a general rule, regular practice and learning new strategies are the keys to success in poker. It is recommended to dedicate a few hours each week to active learning, as well as additionally play real or practice games in order to put the acquired knowledge into practice. It is important to find a balance between study and rest, so as not to overexert yourself and maintain interest in the game.It is also important to be mindful of the quality of study time, not just the quantity.

f_lampa

f_lampa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
probably half an hour a day should be set aside, but I'm not sure about it because I don't do it myself :rolleyes:

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on your attention span and amount of free time. Sometimes I will study for 20 hours in a week and sometimes not at all. I think the best thing is to set a certain, minimum amount of time such as 30-60 minutes per day.