How to get the most out of KA, AA

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I’m fairly new to poker I been playing for awhile but just for fun only recently starting to take it seriously. My question is how to get the best value out of hands like AA, KA. They come by rarely and when I go all in 9/10 times everyone folds. How do the more experienced players go about playing these hands I’m afraid to check or low raise as someone with smaller cards will decide to play and end up winning with pair of 4’s :confused: I’m new to the game so bare with me, thanks in advance :) :D

The trick is not to go all in. You need to raise. The best is to raise 3x the big blind. There are other factors which come into play so just remember that. Table position, your table image, your chip stack.

I'm a bit more experienced so i don't suggest you do this but sometimes i don't raise and i hook in the other player. By the river they raising and I'm just calling.

I suggest you just raise up to 3x the big blind keep raising or calling. But if people are raising every hand then you can raise even more.

D

dendretic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't make the beginner mistake of going all in preflop without it being reraised while no one's shown any strength. You have to change your play frequently, but based on your position you should raising it 3x IP and 4x OOP. If it's a limped pot I usually do 3x + 1 per limper. Every now and then throw in the trap call instead of raise, but you really want to isolate the few people who've shown strength so you get an easier time hand reading post flop.

S

serialy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great points, but I don’t think you should ever show cards when your in competive competition.

Huh. Ever? I've found that showing occasionally adds a dimension of unpredictability to your play style which can often be the difference between someone folding to a bet you may not want them to call. Or can open the door for other traps such as you suggested.

"Insert quote that makes me think I made you think that I think (even though a quote is specifically someone else's)"

A

alvinw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is like most poker questions, it depends. If you are playing deep stacks, the value of Big Goes Down and should be played as such. when your playing with Shallower stacks playing your Aces for traps and in a different manner. ie, flatting AA with 22bbs in an MTT in position. that's not something you would do with 50bbs. and with 100bbs it would be nuts to get ACEs in on a 976 flop. the more connected the flop the more you should be careful. the dryer the flop.( less connected) the more you can take it to the house. Play this a few different was and then review the results to see what you go. get a HUD and review the results. But don't play from a point of FEAR just caution and Smarts.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing mostly tournament poker then you need to understand that it's not just the cards you hold that determines your play. You must always consider position, stack sizes, and where you are in the tournament (i.e at the beginning, middle with blinds becoming a factor, approaching the money, etc). And,these factors are also being considered by the other players.

If you've been shoving pre-flop with AA or AK the others are folding most likely because you've been playing a tight game and they know you have a monster. It's when you decide to make a smaller bet that all the factors I mentioned above come into play. Some will call because their huge pile of chips dominat your small stack while others will call with a bottom range hand because they have position on you. So...protect your hand with a raise but be prepared to play with caution post flop because AA and AK are only big hands before the flop is dealt.

K

KwazuluNatal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Africa

Is it best to play in tournaments as a beginner or cash games?

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In live tournaments, AA are opened with a raise from any position; online, I would prefer to raise only from middle and late positions.
Though of course it depends on your opponents and the stage of the tournament, as well as in this case, plays a vital role your reputation at the table.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ka nnd aa

i dont know what is rigth or wrong...but when i have ka i am very aggresive from the begining and when i have aa i am very patient until the river
the idea is that when i have ka i am after some cards to have a good resalt so if somebody wants to follow me...he has to pay a lot and also to have very good hand to.
but when i have aa i bet a little and i try to hook the others ...takeing of cource a risk
i wish you to find out whats the best for yoursel ....and goog luck.:cool:

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1)Open up always with them in unraised pots
2)always three bet try to get all in with AA pre
3) always C-bet - re-evaluate AK if you get called in a board that whiffed

That’s just my 2cents

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Know when to fold

The most money you can make is not losing money when you hold on to AK and, especially AA. Playing AKo, AKs, and AA is straightforward. No one talks about how to fold these hands.

G

goOgaaA9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to study poker mathematics and then it will be easier.
Simply put-if you get AA - it does not mean that you will win the hand. In 1 of 5 times you will win any other cards. What's the meaning of that? This means you need to raise the bet on preflop such that would be for 4 times to recoup the 5th loss.

Even easier-never let your opponents look at the cards on the table for free, because they can catch their monster.

That is a good strategy, but ofcourse not every time ;)

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends if at the start of a tournament you will not risk being left out in the early stages of the tournament if it is in cash 2bb or 3bb

P

PharCyde007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aa ak

I always like to have my ak suited and in position with a large raise out front followed up by a continuation bet if its checked to me. with AA i try to get it allin preflop slowplaying aces is a mistake.

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing cash tables, it is advisable to open them 3bb from any position except SB, in the almost equal tournaments, but in the advanced stages (less than 50bb of the average) it is advisable to open them x2 and wait for the re-raise/all in.

And if you just call, play the board, depending on the board measure your bets.

why on sb it is impossible to do 3bb? :mad:

I always do 3bb on sb! :wavey:

I'd add that if aggressive players are at the table, then you can do Slow play

and you also need to understand, if you play only premium hands, then everyone will understand that you have a high hand and no one will pay)

can't be too obvious

Last edited:
E

evaldasluka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello nice day

:smile::smile::smile::smile: