Chips
It is the hardest part of poker, you just have to put up with it

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beat is part of the game some days you ha e luck some day you don have ..if you have meny bad beat you must to take a time from the game

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.you are always likely to lose.but it has its advantages,you can rethink where you made a mistake and raise your level.I will not say that losing sometimes is inevitable,it is possible that poker masters do not lose at all at tables with average players.but the probability of losing is always there, so this is part of poker.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda hard to gauge on how much is normal but they do happen often. Every hand and every flop and turn have percentages on the likelihood of how likely you are to win. It's not often that the Percentage is 100% so almost every hand there's a chance to lose.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Anyone happens to us in the beginning of poker now what you should be using wrongly is the range of the hands in relation to your position at the table for which they tend to bet or raise often, the advice I can give you is to study the range of the hands in your hand

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah. For me I have like 3 days a month where I can do no wrong playing poker, and 27 days where if I sit there and play all day, there is no making money on those days. It would not matter to me, except I play the same way on both type of days.

I see bad beats at least 30 percent more often than should occur. You see too many times the big stack bias. I have been a programmer, so I know the b.s. I can type into the programming to make 1 + 1 equal 7, so when they say crap is on the up and up, you can feel when bull is going on. I have seen enough bad beats for example where a2 wins ace face way more than I should see in my lifetime. My a2 will never win because I fold trash, and the only time a2 is not trash is when you have other peoples chips in your stack already and can waste the time to go in and get rewarded.

R

royalflush122096

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember I lost a tournament with quad 7’s when I ran into quad 9’s!

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bad beats are already an anomaly in themselves. Don't think about how many are normal. Think about what to do to escape them. Sometimes, if you are at a table where there is a donkey the best thing to do is leave the table. That simple. However, if you choose to stay, adjust your game to his. Stay out of a few hands watching how he plays. If on the one hand you can take Bad Beats for a donkey, on the other hand, by adjusting your game to his you can find a gold mine.​

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're having that many bad beats, maybe you're going to showdown too often? Try being more selective on which hands you play and which cards you're really going to take to the end. I think if you fold more hands you can reduce the variance and amount of bad beats.

S

SuiGeneris89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it just seems so logical, but it doesn't play out that way

Bad beats are already an anomaly in themselves. Don't think about how many are normal. Think about what to do to escape them. Sometimes, if you are at a table where there is a donkey the best thing to do is leave the table. That simple. However, if you choose to stay, adjust your game to his. Stay out of a few hands watching how he plays. If on the one hand you can take Bad Beats for a donkey, on the other hand, by adjusting your game to his you can find a gold mine.​

sounds like you are talking about cash games, where it is easy to leave the table and play elsewhere.

But my last 3 busts I was getting pushed around by aggro donkeys and waited for the right time.

I flopped a set and checked and they jam 5x the pot with nothing. Ace high. Runner runner flush.

I waited for 20 minutes to finally can this jagoff and from 96% on the flop he jams.... I assume you say I am to fold here? no. I don't care if he has a better set and i almost don't care when his 2p rivers the FH, but when you have ace high and get to take the second biggest stack at the table for a bad play?

Same last night, final 2 in a satellite.
Called twice with marginal hands while I was the much bigger stack.
Lost to 3 outters both times.

Then was min raised with AK on the BB and I jam and he snap calls K7o and hits his 3 outter for the 3rd time.

It sounds just so easy to adjust or walk away, but in reality, those of us grinding lowstakes see this every day.

I don't know enough about statistics, but realistically in 1,000 hands, how often should you lose when you are the 90%+ favorite? It would seem like around 100 but it plays around 300-400 times... is this not too frequently?

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This video explain how to avoid bad beats:

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Bab beats are a part of poker. you have to live with it. You will get bad beats at any level. However at higher stakes you wont get to many allin calls from 35 off ,J2 off etc that drive you crazy when they stack you.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a 70% chance of winning, you have a 30% chance of losing.

In my opinion the answer is here, when you play a 70 to 30 pot, you have to know that 70% of what is in the pot is rightfully yours, so as 30% of the times you lose you will only be giving back what is not yours. by right.

In fact, what I realized, even in my game, is that we were enchanted with our pair of AA (example) and we couldn't let go of it, even though we were losing.

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no bad beat is normal but it happens much more frequently as is supposed to

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if bad beats occur frequently, there is a chance to avoid them.

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi,

I'm a relatively new poker player (just over a year or so) and try to keep an open mind, constantly looking for new ways to improve my game. I'm currently playing most of my poker on poker stars but am running into bad beats rather more than i feel is comfortable/acceptable. I wont bore you with specific examples because i feel they have been done to death on here.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me? If you are playing 4 hours of poker a day multi-tabling on say 4 tables at a time, what a bad beat average? I understand that luck and variance is a part of poker that we all must accept but its getting to a point now where any wins I am having are usually reversed by a good string of bad beats. I'm kind of treading water if you will.

The more I try and grow my knowledge of the game by reading books and listening to advice from the pros the more frustrated I become. The advice I receive (most of it anyway) simply isn't relevant at lower steaks. I truly believe any pro would struggle at lower steaks because (as much as i hate this term) donkeys are just so unpredictable and as for putting them on a range FORGET ABOUT IT!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this.

if you find out, please let me know!

But i am going through a very bad patch I will unreg, then take an hour off, and when I come back will start on smaller buy ins until i start running a bit better.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When bad beats do not happen sometimes, but constantly, you start to wonder if they are cheating me and do I need this poker?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bad beats happen and are part of the game. Its so easy to blame the software or RNG for our losses but do people ever look at the real reasons of it.

OMG its rigged i lost 3 all ins preflop on the river as bead beats. My 99 lost to AK, my TT lost to AQ and my AJ lost to 33. These are not bad beats. Thee are coin flips. You should when you have the pair win about 55% of the time and with the 2 over card win 45% on the time. Yes if you have the pair you wins only win on average 11 time in 20. But I lost 3 in a row its not fair. Do you know that that if you flip a coin you winning 3 heads in a row one time in 8? Yes its rare but also i time in that 8 you should lose as well. also 1 in 8 is not that rare.

OMG my AK lose to AX. Yes you had them dominated but what does it mean? On average you will lose just over 1 in 3 times. AdKs vs As3s will only win 67.3% of the time. While we have them in a bad spot its not as bad as it sounds. If you always get knocked out this way and its your 3rd hand like then you are getting the average loss.

OMG my aces got cracked by pocket 2's. Yes you should win 4 of 5 times and this is a bad beat but again 1 time in 5 you should lose.

Lets talk about post flop a bit, I raised and this donkey called with 72o. "OK i agree dumb call but" The flop was k73 rainbow and I bet and he called. Turn was a 7 and I get and he jammed and I called and lost. Or the flop and turn were all spades and he did the same thing. was it a bad beat? Yes your aces were beat but did you every think about the hand? 4 suited and you don't have it what are you beating. A paired board did you think he may of had the 7? These don't really fall into bad beats.

A friend of mine used to complain aces lost way more than they should. Well he showed me the proof. Hmm 4 limper in the pot and he check hi option in the BB. While he was favorite to win the hand he should only win the hand 42% of the time. Yes over 1/2 the time he should lose. He would then go broke on the flop since he had aces when some one had 2 pair or better and say it was a bad beat. Never did he say it could be his bad play.

Bad beats happen. They can happen a lot in a short time frame. The variance takes a lot of time to flatten out to what it should be. Again flip 100 pennies and you may get 70 heads the 1st time. 54 the 2nd and 51 the 3rd. You ended up with 58.3% of the pennies being heads. Is it rigged? was it unfair and wrong. Nope. It may take a million times or more to get to the point the numbers show and prove it is a 50/50 proposition.

FYI, I played in the wsop twice. in 25 hours of play "yes i took out the breaks" i never saw aces. based on 25 or 30 hands an hour that meant i saw 653-750 hands and never got aces once. Would have them once in every 212 hands and should have had the at least 3 times but nope I did not. was it rigged? nope.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can speak about mtt only. I put 33-35% on badbeats. But when I'm filling something going wrong, I try not to lose too much

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i don´t even know anymore lost the counting amount lol

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The norm is the amount that you yourself have determined.