How long will it takes to master poker?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfection does not have a chapel, in exceptional cases of talent it will not take a lot of time, but for mere mortals a practice with tens of thousands of distributions.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very simply, devote your entire life to poker and then in about 2 or 3 reincarnations you'll master it.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The average master has maybe won 10 to 20 bracelets after 20 years of play.

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a web developer, I hear this type of question all the time "how long will it take me to learn everything and master this language" This is basically the same as this question you are asking and I will answer it with the same answer I provide to them.

You do not have enough years left alive to master it, when you are asking this question, what do you consider to be "mastering" poker? You are never going to reach a point where you know everything, it just isn't possible. Look at the poker pros that have been playing for a huge part of their life, won millions and millions, but still they have a coach? Because there is still always some part of your game that can be improved.

Now if your friend means the basics, like hand strengths, how antes and blinds work and the different types of poker games/formats. Then this information can be learnt within a day for sure, within a few months of studying, he could reach the stage of being a winning player if he takes it serious and puts in the work.

You can learn as much as you can for as long as you can, but there will always be something to learn tomorrow.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it can be mastered by a human. Robot maybe.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To know the rules of the game or to be a professional, these are different things, it seems to me that it is impossible to master poker completely, it is possible to raise the level of your skill

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Takes a life long Journey to Master Poker. But always remember to learn from your mistakes. If You don't you will never Master Poker. And always Trust your Instincts. Good Luck at the Tables.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To master poker you need a lifetime, maybe :)
To just become profitable — at least several months.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker takes 5 minutes to learn and at least 6 minutes to master.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion I think that mastering poker is a hopeless fantasy. When you can predict the outcome of every hand and win every game or tournament you play then I believe you have mastered poker. The reality of this is that I have not seen anyone close to this level....sorry.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In my opinion I think that mastering poker is a hopeless fantasy. When you can predict the outcome of every hand and win every game or tournament you play then I believe you have mastered poker. The reality of this is that I have not seen anyone close to this level....sorry.
Its impossible even for ideal master (ii programm of future)... If you even use the best decisions in every hand, you ll never win all tourneys which you play... Probability of winning tournament for ideal master about some percents...

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct. That's why I believe that poker is a game that will never be mastered. Shuffle up and deal and enjoy the game.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker can be mastered in a few hours. But to become a good poker player takes a long time, it all depends on the person and his goals in poker.

Techniquez

Techniquez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lifetime to master, keep tryin only Yoda knows better!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You need to have the talent or/and you need to study/practise as well . Some people don't have a natural talent , but by studying really hard they are mastering a more and more evolving game , others with no enough knowledge of the game , who don't study to become better , they will not master the game in this life .

FullStrength

FullStrength

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mastering poker takes a lifetime according to Doyle Brunson and I agree. My take on his meaning of the statement is you will never truly master poker. You will only achieve a higher skill level and be a constant student of the game as the years go by.

FullStrength

FullStrength

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker can be mastered in a few hours. But to become a good poker player takes a long time, it all depends on the person and his goals in poker.

You cannot master anything in a few hours. However,you can learn the basics of anything in less than an hour.;)

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first thing to do is ask yourself, but what does the concept of "play well" mean? Since there is a hierarchy in poker, your level of play and knowledge is a relative term.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 weeks should do it,,, :star:

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, recently my friend asked me about how long will take to master poker, because he is new to poker. I dont know how to tell bcz I think it depends on the talent and practice. What do you guys think`?

I'm going on 18 years and I still suck and can't win.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot master anything in a few hours. However,you can learn the basics of anything in less than an hour.;)

Hello!
Learn the game of poker can be a few hours. There would be a desire. :) But further study will require a lot of time and effort.
Good luck!

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can always improve... And you need to adapt to new trends (when i was watching first tournament on TV 3bb was standard raise, not any more)

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think anybody ever truly "masters" poker. The best players know that there is always more to learn and ways to improve.