How to know when to stop?

W

whoknowswhat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
there are days when nothing is working, and I end up trying and trying until I succeed, but most of the time it just ends up making me more frustrated. Any tips for knowing when to stop?

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are days when nothing is working, and I end up trying and trying until I succeed, but most of the time it just ends up making me more frustrated. Any tips for knowing when to stop?
Sorry I don't know what to recommend you, because I have the same problem, so I want to see what others recommend us 😅

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to establish a number of tournaments, or, cash game hours played before starting the grind. Seeking to make the best decisions within your knowledge, discipline and self-control will ease this frustration.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If you play MTTs you have to take masterclass on controlling your emotions because variance it's big and big and you'll be losing most of the times on games talking on money with good discipline and strategy you'll win getting into some Final tables, if you're just not feeling ok that's your alert to stop cause that will cause you to make bad choices, you can stop and maybe evaluate your hand share it and look for mistakes in the way you played the hand if at the end you did good, and it was just the odds time to lose that 5% that we believe it never happens but actually happens more time that we think

Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
You couldn't give yourself too much advice, since from past experiences I can come to the conclusion that I have a hard time dealing with this type of situation. I could only say that you try to stay calm, don't think too much about the situation and if you can take a break it would be good.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Everyone knows this problem. Best is to take a break doesn't even have to be for the whole day , just spend some time on other stuff you enjoy and return to the tables with a better mood later on :)

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
It is all about controlling emotions and having strong will to just stand up and do something else for the day. Sadly it's in our human nature that we we want to recoup our losses and that makes it so damn hard to stop, which makes us play with emotion instead of our brain, resulting in even more losses.
I believe that with experience your skin gets a bit harder and it's easier to control emotions, but some days it just gets to us (look at pros like Phil Hellmuth exploding when being beat). So there really ain't no golden rule on what to do.
Personally when I'm having a bad day with bad beats left and right I just close the tables, play 1-2 0,25cent spin and goes and call it a day. If I win those spins I'm happy and tell myself "at least I won something", if I lose I just confirm it's a shitty day and try to move on from it. :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
The best solution for you is to simply stick to bankroll management. If, for example, you have reached your limit for the day, then you simply stop the game. Only your patience, discipline, consistency and bankroll management can prevent you from losing money and getting frustrated.

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello
I mostly only play mtts and know the problem only too well! If I notice that nothing works, I go offline and start again the next day. winning with frustration or violence usually goes wrong. Winning a big tournament is difficult and you can be happy when you make money, which is always a pleasure for me. Sometimes a little distance helps and then it works again. always think positive :)

PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
There is a so-called "rule of 2 errors" system. Its principle is as follows: having made more than 1 serious mistake in 1 day of playing, you need to stop playing for today, gather your thoughts, analyze your mistakes and return with a fresh mind the very next day.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What you need to do is to stipulate an amount per day and try to earn what you can. Do not exceed that daily amount. At the end of the month you can calculate your gains and losses. I use a spreadsheet to compare. In the last few months I have ended positively, but most days are losses.

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If u are getting angry or not really enjoying it anymore - stop playing and go do something different!

J

JohnBlack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When you re not feeling well, you should definitely stop playing. Losses have an undesired effect on your mindset and pile of negative thoughts might overwhelm you, if you re short emotionally stable. Why not quit for today and retry tomorrow? Or maybe, who knows, on another day when you re 100% there...You shouldn t persist in errors, but correct them for a better outcome.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Cards dont come right oder for all :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
there are days when the game just doesn't work on this day just don't play, do other things and come another day because today the cards are not playing for you will be played another day

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you feel like you're losing a lot of money, and you're feeling frustrated... it's better to stop, take a break... and play again when you feel ready.

Bankroll management is very important. Good Luck !

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you're behaving in a way you ideally don't want to then younshould stop

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have a simple calculation that always helps me stop. If I've already spent $3, I just stop. $3 is my limit per session.

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Of course, when he doesn't work with us, it's like a bad omen Make sure that you stop for a while, even if it is short, to find out the causes and defects

Real_KiNdZiUs

Real_KiNdZiUs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
I don't know what kind of poker games you usually play MTT, Cash, SnG, Spins but when I have a bad day at the tables, I mostly play Spins, I set the rule to myself if I'll play 5 games and I'll loose 3 of 5 or more I'm done with a poker today :)

zer0ne

zer0ne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Just hangout with your friends and come back to play again :)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a day off in such cases. I'm giving myself a border I don't go over if I get a minus in my bankroll.

ninpo

ninpo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i will stop playing if i have the negative thinking take the day off
poker will be there tomorrow

otters

otters

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You need to recognise when you are getting frustrated then stop. Go and do something else. Willpower is needed not to keep going.
This works for me. But I appreciate that for some people it is more difficult.
I have mentioned in previous posts that I only play with money I can afford to lose.
I think poker becomes more enjoyable if you are not focused on how much you win.