How important is it to change the size of the open in poker?

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Can a larger open sizing cause opponents to be more inclined to call less?

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Я думаю, да, размер Открытого Рейза играет роль. Думающие игроки это заметят, а для некоторых, кто играет для развлечения - это точно не работает. Они сбрасывают несколько играбельных рук, а иногда (в моей практике) выпадают и старшие пары.

A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips

Generally speaking, opening with the same size hides the strength of your hands. It makes it very hard to read you preflop.

If you vary your raise sizings, opponents who pay attention might see a pattern and exploit that. For example you might raise JJ+ 5BB instead of 3BB for middle pairs. You use 4BB for KQ+. Now any opponents know when to toss and when to pressure you. If you want someone to fold with an opening bet, reconsider if you should raise that hand at all.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
When raising large your opponents will be more inclined to call less. Also raise less. So most will fold, some will call and some will raise. Against a calling station they will call no matter how big your bet is so it’s good to be in position against these players. Good luck!

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play quite tight and aggressive so I try to always play a similar opening amount around 5-8 BBs. My 3-bets are always different.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Of course. But if you play good starting hands, why don't you want to play post-flop? You want people to call especially if they are bad players after the flop.

With higher blinds stealing them has greater value but you don't have to increase your open size unless they call a higher bet with bad cards.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wouldn't have as much information available by raising preflop. I would wait for some cards on the table before rocking the boat.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The ideal is to notice the table you are at. At some tables any 2BB everyone folds. And if you have a very good hand it is not interesting, because you end up wasting it. That's why it's important to observe how much you can bet at that moment on that table. If you have AA you need to clear the table to minimize the risk of BadBeat. But if everyone folds it won't be interesting either. So there is no absolute rule. Your choices should be based on analyzing the scenario at that moment, first looking at your hand, then your position, then how the table is and finally which stage of the game (if it is a tournament) you are.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes of course. Both in theory and in practice. Opening size is always a balance between giving the blinds a bad price to defend and not putting out to much for other players to attack to 3-betting or even calling us in position.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello,
I will be commenting about tournament play.
In general, I don't see a valid reason to change the size of the open bet. I usually bet a little bit higher in early position.
But in some cases, when you have an overactive player on the table, a calling station if you want, I then choose to open bigger than usual when I am openinig their BB to not have them call 100% of the hands.

Gl at the tables.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on the Tournament, in a Freeroll, anything goes in the first hour, but when you buy-in to a game then the more serious players will call less, unless they feel they have a good chance of making their hand.
A Friend of mine came to our weekly Pub game after reading a book I lent him on Poker, and after he got busted he said "I don't understand it, I played just the way that book recommends" I replied "Yes! But they haven't read that book".
You will always get exceptions to what the book recommends, So to beat them you need to play the player, not the cards. Find the players weaknesses and capitalize on them.
Good Luck!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Players often limp - calling the big blind to see the flop cheaply. By opening, you reduce the number of opponents, as it becomes expensive to watch community cards.By reraising, you will get a lot more information about the strength of your opponent's hand. And often enough, he will generally surrender to your aggression - and you will win the pot without too much resistance.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends of the tournament. If it's a freeroll with thousands of players, usually you're going to get a call even if you go all in pre flop. But in general, if you bet bigger pre flop, you're going to have less opponents.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Depends on how deep in tournament you are. Sizing should be the same, except when you are SBvsBB, or Button vs SB,BB and they have small stack and you want to commit your chips and denie fold equity.

Trismegisto

Trismegisto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you raise 3 BB or less, its a good raise for people to call, more than that its more probable for people to fold