How important is bankroll management?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that bankroll management and table/game selection are 2 of the most important things in poker and both are often ignored.

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's one of the most important things. Obviously playing well is important. But one of the most common bottlenecks in moving through stake levels is trying to move up too fast and then resisting moving back down a level until they have crippled themselves and set themselves back.

It's one of those flaws that most of us are aware of, and yet still manage to fall victim to it from time to time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But if you can't or don't want to add more money to your poker account and you want to continue to play poker - then yes playing $1 or $2 at a time is what you have to do with a $20 bankroll.
Even that will fairly often end with a reload, since 10-20 BI downswings are very common in poker.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thank you Belfish for posting this formula about cash games.
I never thought about that, because I usually do not play cash games. But it is very interesting to know this. :)

And yes, of course, BRM is just crucial and you should know this for your favourite type of game.
And investing $20 is really not much I guess. And you need to be ready to reload. So better deposit enough in the beginning
or just take your own money into accountancy. But the best would be to top up your bankroll with freerolls.

If you plan with such a small bankroll, I am sure, the no-deposit strategy would be the best.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think bankroll management is everything, because if you have calm discipline, soon you will be playing at higher table values so work on it, study it, have a spreadsheet to help you in management

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're just starting out then I wouldn't suggest any type of cash game. With such a small bankroll it would be a lot easier for a lot of folks to just play freerolls with an occasional low buyin tourns like something like 10 cents to 25 cents buyin.

Even if you play a game with a $1 max buyin in a cash game you could go up $1, then lose 2 buyins or worse, then get that" I have to get it back mentality" and the whole bankroll will be put in jeopardy. So I wouldn't suggest playing cash games with your bankroll.

You just wouldn't give yourself enough room with some aggressive donk beginner moves on you and you'd more than likely get frustrated and go higher limits or keep playing when you should quit.

You don't want anything that if you lose your buyin would psychologically make you feel like you have to chase lost money.

You don't want to be thinking "It took me xyz amount of hours, days, weeks, lol months to get something and now I just lost it" lol. Even if you haven't destroyed your bankroll then when you have that mentality without DISCIPLINE then I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE THE REST OF THAT MONEY IN THE ACCOUNT WILL BE GONE AS WELL.

Regardless of your route whether cash game or tourn, you also want a tourn something that you could easily replace the money whether the money comes from an outside source like your piggy bank or you can win it back and you know from experience that its easy to replace.

So I'd say stay away from cash games and play tourns or sngs with an occasional small, really small buyin that wouldn't bother you if you lost the money.

IF you're just playing freerolls and small, uber small buyins relative to your bankroll like the example of the 10/25 cent buyin with a $20 bankroll then you shouldn't go broke if you replace the paid buiyin with freerolls.

But putting a big chunk of your bankroll on the table every time you play is a recipe for going broke even if you were the greatest player in the WORLD playing donkey beginners just because of variance.

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your goal and time that you can afford for the poker. If you are looking for fun then it is medium important i guess. if you are looking money making strategy then above formula is important!

From the 5$-->$2000 challenges that is going on the forum, it would interesting to check their brm.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management