how i can play the hand JJ with success

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad you brought this up. I was watching a video this morning that Daniel Negreanu post about ranges. He was talking about how back in 2004ish how the game was very different. How in a 3Bet pot where we open UTG, and UTG+1 3Bets, and we just call, we had AK. It was the only hand you would play under these circumstances back then. If we have QQ+ they were 4 betting, and JJ wasn't even in the range to call, but now a days with the use of blockers as strengths. combined with players playing range vs. range instead of a particular hand vs. a particular hand. it's evolved to allowing JJ into that range because JJ is one of the biggest blockers you could have to a nut straight, when playing range vs range.

If I haven't lost you yet, this is the point I'm trying to make. If we are playing Range vs. Range. Then JJ would fall into our calling range. Cause if UTG+1 is willing to 3Bet us to isolate. Best case scenario they are holding a Suited A Broadway cause they have the blocker flush, and we block their straight. We don't care about the flush. We are looking for the boat. Also a JT probably suited as a bluff, because is still good on mid range boards that could complete a straight, where UTG would have an overpair. Of course they could have use destroyed, but in today's game they are much more likely to have a hand we are still at least flipping against or ahead, then we are to be completely destroyed.

So in most situations preflop you just call, or open, but less likely to call a raise from early position unless on the button or cutoff to insure position. We only want to be raising while in middle position. So we have a good chance to isolate, and maintain position.

Now post flop is where it's tricky. So I'll explain the easy one first. If we are out of position. We are almost always check folding to any over cards. Especially if they are raising from early position. They have position. More then likely they paired up leaving us 2 outs to win. Easy...

But what if its a low board, or a mid ranged paired board? well we are still checking, looking for a check raise to gain control Out of position, and betting In position. This is all dictated by chip size. (a whole other topic). so lets stick to just check, or betting In position. Look to get it in.

Conclusion of the story. Open, or call, and always be looking to check raise with no overs, or betting with no over In Position. If your check raise gets called. continue with caution. If your bet gets called and the board is still low continue. If it's not, resort back to caution.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally raise j-j at least 3-5 bb,s from any position,post flop I realy don't want to see over cards,if I do il bet out to see where I stand fully prepared to fold to raise or better depending on how many in hand,if there,s no over,s flopped il bet out half pot or better flop bet,

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's one of those hands that you have to gauge as you play it -- def don't feel it's a hand worth calling all in for. If the cards on the table are higher than J, I wouldn't force it.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a couple of jacks, ten, or nines ... if someone increased from a starting position, I probably just called. But if he was raised from a middle or final position ... I could re-raise with two Jacks, ten or nines if I felt the raiser was weak.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At first glance, this hand is good, but it is extremely difficult to win a big pot. Jacks only seem to be a decent hand - this is the main mistake of newcomers - it's wrong to assess their power. It should be borne in mind that jacks requires improvements and then you will be able to properly build a game with this hand.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is the crossover hand between medium strength hands and premium hands. It should enter the pot with a raise to narrow the number of opponents going to the flop. It can stand calling a single raise or sometimes seeing a cheap flop in a chain of limpers to setmine. It must be folded facing a raise + a reraise unless ranges are very wide. It cannot call a 3Bet but can make one 3Bet itself in late position. A case can be made to flat a 3Bet with JJ if you will have position on the flop and the 3Bet call size is not too high. JJ cannot generally 4bet and cannot flat call a 4bet. It can be 5bet shoved only if stacks are very short and we are up against a weakish range. Overall it needs to be played fast preflop and get heads up in good position but should be played carefully postflop. R

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many situations, the position and the bets

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will say, it depends. If everybody has limped before me, I will bet 3 BB, but If someone else before me make a raise under 3 BB, I migth Call or Fold all together, depending on the villain record.

After the Flop if A, K, Q shows up and someones raises, I will Fold. We are behind 95% of the Time! :icon_stud

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Make a raise and wait the flop. If it is good, repeat the bet. If you are lucky to see J then raise more!

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise obviously if you have them I'd say 40/60 3bet/call if I'm close to the button 60/40 call/3bet OOP, also obviously alot different in tourneys. Post flop is usually about controling the pot size, I'd say I'm 60/40 Cbet on a dry flop and 30/70 checking on a board with any flop with 2 or more 10+ higher cards.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise preflop. If in position and facing a raise 3 bet if opponent folds to 3bets often. Otherwise call and see the flop in position.

Just a rule of thumb it really depends on many factors. Can't play them the same way no matter what.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands