How to find the right seat at a poker table

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you happen to be at a poker room and with so many active tables to choose from, how do you know you are picking the right one for you?
Ashley Adams has given us four (4) rules that we should all follow when searching for the right seat for us at just about any poker table.

Are there any tips you can add to Ashley's list?

How to Pick the Best Seat at Any Table: 4 Rules of Thumb

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Probably good pointers each and everyone of them.
But to be honest - if online games would not be available I would have stayed away from poker forever. Sitting too close to other people who talk trash/nonsense, getting distracted by things happening around you, and all other unpleasantries - who needs that?

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
thank you this is a very good article

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think the idea is to have position against weak players (especially weak players with big stacks). and so i would also add selecting a seat where two fish players are on your immediate left (they would be the SB and BB when you're the BTN).

thetvpage

thetvpage

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting strategies - in my experience (pretty limited) I have been assigned a table instead of being able to pick, and usually have been assigned a seat too.

The thinking of looking for some large stacks makes sense, but I have had a couple of weird experiences where I'll buy in at a 1/3 game with a $300 buy-in limit and find 4-5 players have well over $4k stacks. I question (to myself) why they are playing at the smaller stakes games when they are consistently opening pre-flop $60 to $100.

I've found that with patience I can double or triple up, but getting to those pots can take a while

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like sitting to the right of the chip leaders. Also if a table is too tight and full of good players I'll ask for a table change to another where theres more action.