How does your game play change when you double up?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It don't matter if you are playing cash games or MTTs. How do you all play when you double up. Like playing 10nl and hit a good hand that gives you $20, or playing a tourny and you double your stack early. Does your game play change? I know mine does. I loosen up some, make some more raises, and do a little more bluffing. Now don't get me wrong, because I don't do it all the time. I just stay tight throughout the game. Let us know about your game play in this situation. GL all

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply ebertta1. I see a lot of players to play aggressive later in a MTT, and more so when it gets close to the bubble. No one wants to go out there, so low stacks are more apt to fold. Since I mostly play with some of the same players at the cash tables, I can't see any difference with them, because they play the same, and that's good for me. Ok GL today

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play tournaments so can’t speack to the cash game side. It all depends on when the double takes place. If it’s early and have say 200+ bb then I’ll loosen up my game and play more aggressive with hands like 78s or lower pocket pairs hoping to hit a disguised monster. If it’s later and I double from shoving with 10-15 bb left, then I can get back to playing my normal game.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that you've double up doesn't have the direct correlation with effective stack size. That's the size on which you should depend your game plan.
The only thing that change for you now, that you might make less hero-folds if you want to.
Not sure about increasing bet sizes. Maybe only at preflop - bigger op-raises and 3bet more often. Postflop bet sizes plays out from preflop pot anyway, I don't think we need to adapt anything here.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you guys. I always read them all. I think a double up, no matter when it happens, gives us more confidence. But I've seen many players go over board after hitting a big pot. They start raising just about every hand, and we all know that a player is not going to have a good hand every round. What I like is to be sitting on the left side of those types. And I guess you all know why. Well GL today.

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The further you get in a tournament the more important a hand is. It’s always ideal to get off to a good start. You can double up but lose it quickly

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply Jay R. I was going to start another tread with something I thought about yesterday, but I think it will go along with this one. What do you all like better, getting a good stack early in a MTT, and then the cards change, and then the blinds start killing you, or do you like just hanging on maybe to the first break, and then the cards change in your favor, and you are able to build a good stack that may get you ITM? GL you guys

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Paradoxically I am not more aggressive when I double up. I have a big stack so I am more careful and wait for a good opportunity to do it again.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doubling and bullying..

If you double your stack, bullying can be part of your game. To lessen the field overall, and to pick-off good players who are low stacks at the time. But it is important not to be a mean bully, trying to wipe out every small stack, buildinga big pots at a table with smaller stacks.

It is hard not to, but don't go over the top with bullying. The bullied players all have good memories; remember that player who bullied them.

D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just really depends on the stage of the tournament. It might jot change much at all. In a cash game it shouldn't change bit some players tend to play a bit looser.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play much cash games, but in tourneys if I have at least 3x more of the rest stack sizes then I extend my hand range and put more pressure. I don't usually do it if I just won allin-doubled up for once especially when it's too earlier of the tourney. That might get punished easily. However in the mids or late stages of tourney, this strategy works fine.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It don't matter if you are playing cash games or MTTs. How do you all play when you double up. Like playing 10nl and hit a good hand that gives you $20, or playing a tourny and you double your stack early. Does your game play change? I know mine does. I loosen up some, make some more raises, and do a little more bluffing. Now don't get me wrong, because I don't do it all the time. I just stay tight throughout the game. Let us know about your game play in this situation. GL all

If I'm playing cash game I take some money out, if I'm playing tournament, I would get my range a little bit wider.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I double up a few times I raise more pots, attempt a few more bluffs to steal the pot and play little more looser in terms of hand selection.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Cash games, I generally quit the session once I have 250BB+ unless there are fish on the table. When playing deepstack speculative hands are played more often in late position.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No matter how the game progresses, I do not change my strategy. I try to play carefully and not in a hurry. My main goal is to get money, so I stay patient and play only with good cards.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mid-MTT, unless you double-up to over 40 bb, preferably to over 60 bb at least, I think the strategy should remain the same: agg to build stack to playable size. Sub-40 bb just does not have room enough to maneuver past preflop and flop, or to sit and wait. At bubble, if doubling up your severely short stack still leaves it relatively short, then it requires holding on tight to it because the priority now is to min-cash due to ICM consideration. Past bubble, doubling up only makes you go over some payjumps but often with little difference, so need to be agg again.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
When playing on poker rooms, I always intuitively and during the game I notice how the game has gone, whether it is going well or not at all. If I play more often and more aggressively, if generally dull hands, then I try to either sit out or break down and see what happens. Either on horseback or flying to hell:D:D:D

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
it depends on which opponent. it is necessary to make it so that the enemy himself went to the bank. you need to tease the enemy. so that he gets lost

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In an MTT I play depending on the depth of my stack and the depth of the stacks around me. Doubling up changes that. When playing cash stacks are very deep and depth doesn't make much difference.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm playing an MTT I play based on my stack depth and the depth of the stacks around me. Doubling up changes that. When playing cash stacks are almost always deep so I don't change my strategy much.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just keep on plying my game no matter what the stack size. I would change if I was a short stack with 12BB and I double i up to 25 to 27 as then I can play more hands but only because of being hand cuffed being short. If early on from 150BB to 300BB i don change a thing

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes more chips means more power on the table but don't forget you could lose it as well, so better stay by your play

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm always trying to double up so I always play similar. Tight and odds with me. Position over players. And when I can throw my stack in I will.

Top 10 Games