How do you stay focused during a tournament (online)?

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im new to playing poker in general, been playing some freerolls, i manage to get ahead on chips in the early stages but I get impatient about the 2 hour mark and start playing worse hands and eventually lose. (especially when everyone gets tighter)

Got any tips?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience & concentration

The poker player accustomed to remain patient and focused part of the beginning you think that will not have patience but then will see that he can do it in 07-hour tournaments but need to go it working but not succeed in MTT tournaments.
:jd4:matesupoker

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it's better to play tighter in the beginning, try and reduce other distractions if you can, that way you can focus on the game.

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch your opponents. Watch your opponents. Watch your opponents. Especially when it comes to a showdown. When you're not in the pot be watching these guys. If you're up against a guy playing every hand chances are you have him beat. Poker is not only about how you play, but how you can react against other players. And the only way you can react against them is to get a feel for how they play

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Steven. I think too many people switch off when they're not involved in a hand and they're missing out on a lot of information on their opponents. What I find helpful to do is watch all the hands and try to put opponents on certain hands, even when I'm not involved. It helps keep me concentrated during a long tournament.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch hands where you are not in the action - get information about your opponents. I usually mark out who is aggressive, who folds easily to bets so I might be able to steal their blinds. Stretch your legs and get some fresh air for the 5 minute break so you aren't staring at the screen to clear your head. Don't let yourself open other tabs or have the TV on in the background.

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed with above...I like to still be involved by seeing what hands people are playing even when I'm not in a hand...will help you when you end up playing next hand with that person....you will have information on them without even being in the hand and losing any chips :)

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I need to work on reading other players while not in the hand. One thing I really hate is once you kinda have everyone sketched your table gets switched lol, thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

K

kygamblr09

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep your mind always going up until break then get up and get a drink, something to eat, bathroom breaks and comeback to the tourney fresh as if it just started. As the tourney is going on i try to keep my mind thinking about the different plays i made and how it ended up. I take notes on players and analyze there play. I keep all in notes and that keeps me busy. I have found playing a tourney and cash tables at the same time when im late in a tourney helps more with patience on both games. Not recommended for a newby or novice player because when i started i lost alot...alot..lol Gl i hpe some of this helps someones game like it did mine

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I need to work on reading other players while not in the hand. One thing I really hate is once you kinda have everyone sketched your table gets switched lol, thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.
All the more reason to stay tuned. While it's impossible to remember how every single person you face plays, some people will naturally stick out and you may see them later on in the tournament or another day. Knowledge of how even just one person plays is valuable

J

Jenya Zemlyanukhin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not played tournaments for more than three hours. Before you start playing MTT, you should immediately adjust to a long game and play reasonably and do not rush to conclusions

Mikica1122

Mikica1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play 2-3 hours and i lose my patience on 20 minutes after that everything is fine if I'm still in the game:D

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regularly taking breaks helps. If you start to feel tired and/or you feel like you're not playing effectively you should take a break from poker and come back refreshed. One of the quickest ways to drain a bankroll is playing on mental tilt.

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I concentrate myself hard on the game and I like to drink wyskey to relax.

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i can easily focus. i smoke weed watch tv or movies, i might listen to music i know that pumps me up and i play a couple games so the cards are always coming. it cant be too hard to focus i know im going to make some money from poker

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://gyazo.com/194f9ed1eaf95eb11d95f3532048ee0a

Played in a qualifier today, as you can see started losing focus after about 2 hours, did manage to hold it together this time enough to get top 10 to qualify, was 6th I believe when it finished. A small victory nevertheless, thanks guys! watching hands that im not in really helped pick me back up.

Also another thing I noticed is nobody ever tries to bluff ever, like never ever. I lost quite a bit of chips at the end when people started raising, seemed too often for them to get decent hands. So I called behind them and they all ended up having decent hands. Guess only pros bluff huh?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The eye of the tiger man...:)

Music, water, food - i also use twitch a bit and try to keep myself amused whilst watching plays..that said - if i am reading a particular player or players, i will switch off for 50 hands or so and focus a bit more...
I take more breaks and ensure i am fresh before i start to play and i never play tired...

good luck to you

AR AR AR AR AR

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In long tournaments concentration is necessary. During the game on long tournaments I make a standard break 1 time per hour, and also once in 3-4 hours - 15-20 minutes.

steelheart

steelheart

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In long tournaments concentration is necessary. During the game on long tournaments I make a standard break 1 time per hour, and also once in 3-4 hours - 15-20 minutes.
I'd do what Alfadog85 suggests, and I do the same in fact, with the little difference that I supplement with nootropics (I mostly use noopept, it is more than enough to keep myself focused on the game and totally into it).

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find something to distact you a little. Not too much. Like music, or snacks.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I take a break. Having strong focus in the game allows us to maximise our victories. But I have a problem with this. I have got two children, wife a house for care lol.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might want to try adding more tables, a cash game for instance. This helps prevent boredom and making bad decisions.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play only one freeroll and you are bored waiting for good hands - you can watch youtube :) . This advice have sense only if you play 9 handed holdem , normal or low speed.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch your opponents. Watch your opponents. Watch your opponents. Especially when it comes to a showdown. When you're not in the pot be watching these guys. If you're up against a guy playing every hand chances are you have him beat. Poker is not only about how you play, but how you can react against other players. And the only way you can react against them is to get a feel for how they play

Agree. Dont chat with friends, check the table, make notes.

F

flopdnuts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man i was literally just about to post this same question because i have adhd so i get distracted very easily when im not on anything and i can 100% see the difference when i have my meds and not. i just wish i had know earlier in life and didnt have to jump thru hoops to get my stuff anyway i was wondering how many people playing poker are afflicted like me?