How do you prepare to play?

Synchronnize

Synchronnize

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello community, I would like to know different ways of how they are prepared and what tools they use to improve in poker. Personally, it is a subject that I would like to know to improve my habits as a poker player.

I read them! :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My only preparation is to get a glass of water/beer/coffee and plugging in my Laptop :D

I use a tracking Software (holdem Manager 2) and whenever I Play a Hand where I think I made the wrong Play, I 'mark it for review'.

After a session I try to look at those hands again in the replayer and think About what I could have done better.

If you want to improve your game, a HUD (included in HM2) is your best way to go.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not prepare before the game. The max before the game of poker I can play computer game or listen to music, and thereby improve your mood.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take a shower and get some sleep

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Make sure there is no pending work.Be relaxed

Just be calm and centered.

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Currently I'm not using any tools like PokerTrackers etc. But I like to take a look at a couple of hands and spots that I played before, trying to improve from the last session.

I also like to watch a few minutes of a stream on Twitch before I start playing

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I close any other site, such as social media that might distract me, I make a playlist with music running back at a low volume, I make some small water or juice supplies and I start playing. :icon_rabb:D:p

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to think that you need to drink before the game, but now I understand that you need to play sober and in a good mood

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't have poker tracker software to analyse hands , or similal software to study more analytically my previous played hands (in terms of equity , ranges , or other I don't know terms and values ) , so I just watch videos of popular streamers or replays of final tables .
But if I have no mood or I am little tired I will just listen to music , watch some youtube videos or twitch streams of general interest not related to poker .
I also want to have in the house all the drinks and food that I will need during the session . If the game is very important I will have some hours rest before the game . Tired and hungry you cannot play in a satisfactory efficient way ofcourse :)

AVLuke

AVLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have software on my phone and computer called cold turkey that you can schedule periods of time to block distracting websites on your computer. So I will schedule blocks up until my next break on sites like youtube, social media, forums etc that will distract me.

I also like to meditate before a session to focus myself on my goals for the session. I never set goals related to winning set amounts but more towards not tilting, sticking to my strategy and making correct reads on opponents.

During the session I'll listen to music and use HM2 to record hands for later review.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I meditate twice a day. Meditation always has a positive effect on my mood. For me poker is a hobby, that gives me pleasure, so I play only when I have a good mood.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My preparation for the tournament consists of three factors.
1. Healthy sleep.
2. Good rest.
3. Regular sport.

E

Elisondjp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My preparation for the tournament consists of
Healthy sleep.
Good rest.Regular sport.

DanielSpaan

DanielSpaan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make some coffee, something sweets to eat and if its starts late, i take some rest/sleep

mpelletier92

mpelletier92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good coffee.

Something to listen to on YouTube but not too distracting.

Music.

Sport before helps to calm my desire to see some action and do stupid stuff at the tables.

Sport after if I'm tilted because of bad decisions or bad beats.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it's a game. It's something I enjoy. So when right before I play, I picture me winning and making smart/correct decisions.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the best ways to improve your game is to analyze the stories of your own hands. The importance of this action cannot be overstated. In the course of the game you will not have much time to think over your decisions, especially if you play at several tables at the same time and play several hundred hands per hour. Without spending a lot of time thinking about their own game, you will be quite difficult to correct their shortcomings and improve it. Thinking about your own game and learning it outside the poker table plays a critical role in your development as a poker player.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Eat well, hydrate well, have a good night rest. Have food and water easily accessible for later on. Just play. The more you complicate things in this relation the more you need to wonder if this all is for you.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
The first thing I do before starting to play poker ... is to make sure I don't have any work or pending thing that then forces me to end my game session ... then I prepare my bottle of cold water ... my fan to be always fresh and I relax to have the best possible concentration ..!

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing special just sit front of my laptop with a glass of soft drink and go..

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. That helps for fitness and concentration. For my game I use HM2 and ICMIZER.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to prepare myself I watch a strategic MTT videos. I visualize my objective and the strategy that I must adopt according to the level of my opponents before the beginning of the game. when I'm too stressful or demotivate. I speak to my unconscious to deliver all my negative thoughts. I repeat the same sentence for several minutes like for example "I am happy". to improve my game. I always analyze spots or make mistakes to avoid repeating them.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preparation is the key to everything. I use the whole afternoon just to prepare.
In the morning I play at least 200 hands with Advanced Poker Training -software. Then I go to the gym. But not too hard work out, just reduce my stress. Then I come back to home and I eat something and watching some series Simpsons, South Park etc. funny. Then I take a nap for 20-30 min. And of course, I drink some coffee to get energized. Then I play chess for 20 minutes. Then it is action time. I open the poker software, PokerTracker and screen recording software. I screen record every session. Also, I drink green tea and I eat a little bit of dark chocolate while I am playing. This routine really works. And after a poker session, I post my biggest problem hand to CardsChat hand analysis forum.