How do you practice poker?

B

b1atch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering, what are some ways I can practice to improve my game when I have no one to play with. Any responses are appreciated

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just wondering, what are some ways I can practice to improve my game when I have no one to play with. Any responses are appreciated

Play online. The other thing you can do is deal out a hand and a flop and practice working out how many outs there are for the hand.

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I practiced freerolls, watched educational videos on youtube, and learned to understand it):icon_puke

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Play online poker sites ... there are several very good sites of great prestige that offer freeroll tournaments every day ... and for sample we have our site of cardschat that offers daily several tournaments every day in different places ...!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The easiest and fastest way is to play frerrolls.but especially to continually watch free strategic videos on twitch or youtube to train and improve your game.

ganbat

ganbat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there even a way to become better? Watched some youtube videos and visited forums, but always explaining rules or, how to calculate odds etc.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also looking for answers to this question. But lack of time prevents me from playing many freerolls to improve my practice.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the notion that playing freerolls will improve your game. CC freerolls? Possibly. But most freerolls are filled with donks that can't wait to shove their whole stack with 6 high.

My best advice to improve your game would be to STUDY. If you have a few dollars to invest, deposit it and play the micro cash games for a while and keep track of your play. Do you find yourself getting bullied around after 20-30 hands? Are you only playing the top of your range? You need to understand ranges, position advantage, player tendencies, pot odds, implied odds and overall hand equity before you can truly understand why you should be doing a certain action in a certain situation.

If you don't want to inevitably lose $20 on the micro cash tables, look up some content on here, Upswing Poker, PokerNews, etc. There is tons of information available from Poker Pros who are crushing the tables. Info such as when to call a 3bet, vs when to 4bet or fold, why blockers are so important in 4bet pots, and so much more. It takes time, but STUDYING and HANDS-ON PLAY are what is going to improve your play as you learn from your mistakes and fix any leaks in your game.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with the notion that playing freerolls will improve your game. CC freerolls? Possibly. But most freerolls are filled with donks that can't wait to shove their whole stack with 6 high.

My best advice to improve your game would be to STUDY. If you have a few dollars to invest, deposit it and play the micro cash games for a while and keep track of your play. Do you find yourself getting bullied around after 20-30 hands? Are you only playing the top of your range? You need to understand ranges, position advantage, player tendencies, pot odds, implied odds and overall hand equity before you can truly understand why you should be doing a certain action in a certain situation.

If you don't want to inevitably lose $20 on the micro cash tables, look up some content on here, Upswing Poker, PokerNews, etc. There is tons of information available from Poker Pros who are crushing the tables. Info such as when to call a 3bet, vs when to 4bet or fold, why blockers are so important in 4bet pots, and so much more. It takes time, but STUDYING and HANDS-ON PLAY are what is going to improve your play as you learn from your mistakes and fix any leaks in your game.
I generally agree with you about freerolls they are a donkfest in general. However they can be useful to practice your own decision making when you are first learning. Making decisions on starting hands, working out your outs when you see a flop and your odds of hitting them and again on the turn when you see that. What you can't do is rely on any of your opponents to be playing normally so you will end up folding a lot or getting sucked out on a lot. You just have to ignore this and look at what you did and get in the maths practice and a feel for the site. To start testing yourself online properly however you do need to invest some money so you can start playing against more normal opponents don't be fooled though still plenty of donks at every level of the game.

Another useful resource is poker fighter App it will help you making decisions in different situations not sure I 100% agree with some of its suggestions but it's a good place to start.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you practice poker?

I Practice Like a Shaolin Monk..

It's only difficult when doing one finger press ups or while using Nun-chucks lol

While the other guys Grind I like to run up the walls...

4c23b19cd96b3add9af39917bdff91da.jpg

That's How I Like To Practice :deal::stickyman:trytofly::damnmate:

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On different Twitch streams I watch, they are sponsored by RaiseYourEdge (Been sponsors, I'm not sure how sincere they can be recommending it).

I invite you to take a look at it, maybe it's not an investment you want to do early game, but some day.

I'm not sure if there is any topic about this site on CardsChat, you should check it out in case there is one.

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Find your own way. Only this can make you a unique player. Always want to be better than yourself yesterday.

Have a good day, mate.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are Apps on your phone that allow you to not only track your bankroll but your hands. Tracking your hands and reviewing them is vital to improving your game. You should be at a minimum be tracking 2+ hands each session.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I want to practice, I call Bronson and ask him to come to me on the weekend and play with me

J

jdmBlue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Americas Cardroom $10.00 On Demand Freerolls. You can get these all day with no risk. Play a few tables at a time and stress the basics.

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best way to start is play online freeroll to learn the game and over time you will pick up quickly on how serious you rake it and how much you play plus you can watch YouTube to see how it works

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker off and on, when i do come back to poker to see what i can do... i start off by playing freerolls for a week or 2 until i remember how to play correctly. I read the forums and watch poker streams to see how other players play these days. When i lose a big pot i replay the hand in my mind and figure out what i did wrong and try to fix it in the next game. The best practice would be to play hands, the more hands you play the more experience you have and it should result in better decision making in future hands.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls! They are free and you can practice all different maneuvers at no cost.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Weekly Poker Hand

Is there even a way to become better? Watched some youtube videos and visited forums, but always explaining rules or, how to calculate odds etc.

You may consider checking out Jonathan Little and his "Weekly Poker Hand" series on youtube.
He discusses a poker hand from preflop to river. He has over 150 videos all of which discuss different situations.

Hope this helps

:):)

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly play on pokerstars with play money when I am practicing and learning plus some time on educational sites and then play freerolls and other tournaments when I play seriously

M

muazkkh1996

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh i play alot alot of freerolls ,watch how the pros play in high pressure situations ,and just try to analyse my own game from time to time. goodluck

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
i am all alone as a poker player also, none of my friends are serious players... so there are MANY ways to practice, all online...
all the major sites have play money games, also there are daily lots of freerolls to give anyone all the daily practice needed... many tournaments are also available for enter under $1
failing that join quasi-playmoney places like wsop and Relay
and best thing of all is when eligible play in CardsChat daily freerolls!

E

Eurei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly play on pokerstars with play money when I am practicing and learning plus some time on educational sites and then play freerolls and other tournaments when I play seriously
Hi, i'm new to site (english is second language,please bear with me).Starting(wanting) to learn poker seriously i guess.
I play pokerstars playmoney too(do you think it waste of time ?). what you all think i should pay attention to when transision to real money?
Whan to play freerolls, must grinding post, any tips?

Americas Cardroom $10.00 On Demand Freerolls. You can get these all day with no risk. Play a few tables at a time and stress the basics.
Does "Americas Cardroom $10.00 On Demand Freerolls" must deposit first?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to practice is to play. Playing freerolls is a great way to practice without risk.

Does "Americas Cardroom $10.00 On Demand Freerolls" must deposit first?
No deposit required.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
practicing

As stated you can practice online. Most major sites have a freeroll every half hour.
If you go to resorts you can request a poker tournament in the activities.