How do you play when a lot are sitting out

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often try to play especially freerolls where four, five, or even six players are siiting out.

How is the best way to act in these situations?

can you play more loose as the blinds are payed by players not active at the table?

or should you be more tight and wait for your shot.

I think is diffycult.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be TA when the blinds are small and be LA when the blinds are big enough.

Have to be aware still of those live opponents. Play them with position.

Good luck...

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to play as more as You can try to raise and steal the blinds form sitt outers

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adjust your hand valuations based on the number of active players. For example, when first to act, Ax is a pretty modest hand at a full table but a fair bit stronger if you're 3- or 4-handed.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best you can do is to adapt to a new game that's based fewer in cards. You'll need to calculate your way of playing based on the following factors:
  • Number of players - Used to calculate statistics (not to be accurate, but to have a certain idea).
  • Psychological power that you have on the table - If every hand you go you end up winning this will mean that your opponents will fear you anytime you call or raise. This is psychological power that you can use when you try to bluff (unless the villain is certain to win).
  • Monetary power that you have on the table (You'll have to compare your stack with the media stack, the total ammount of chips in the game, and the stack of the other players sitting with you) - This means "real" power and it's a backup when you are trying to bluff.

Last edited:
transformpoker

transformpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is effectively shorter handed, meaning that the blinds come around quicker and you are forced to play more hands.

Your opponents are in the same situation; otherwise, you'd steal their blinds too often with your aggressive pre-flop play.

It's a bit difficult to answer succinctly as this is very much one of those "how do you play poker" types of questions where a complete answer could easily be several volumes of text. In general, be more aggressive than when you're at a full table and know that other players should be as well.

If you find players who are playing just as tight as they would if the table were full, then it's very possible that you can raise nearly 100% of your hands pre-flop is some situations and only continue post-flop if you make a decent enough hand.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play quickly try my best to eliminate rest of the players
then after that , click as fast as you can, steal chips....building a large stack!

:D

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the whole table sitting out yesterday in an Edge Tourney ... Laughed all the way to the bank.
This is where I finished ....
EDGE 7TH 05MAY2014

Some players will raise every hand tring to eat all the blinds. Recognize these players & call or even raise over them when you are strong. They tend to fold & if they dont, then at least you know where you are. See the flop & work it out from there.

Last edited:
theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to play as more as You can to steal the blinds form sitt outers and maybe to knock out player/s who is/are in game

P

pallav_pro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out players

How :confused: to play when in 9-player table, only 3 players are playing and rest are sitting out and also the blind is high during bubble stage?
I often get eliminated in these situations with a bad beat :( or opposing player has a great hand :rolleyes: .

I

itrade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also one of those sitting out players keeps getting cards to keep them in somehow and i end up being the bubble boy

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I know that same situation.

Does anyone know the rules for sitting out players and all in fold?

Sometimes they fold and some times they dont.

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I know that same situation.

Does anyone know the rules for sitting out players and all in fold?

Sometimes they fold and some times they dont.

The rules depend on the site you are playing on. In general I try to play it like any other short table and try to play position to get me in a heads up spot when my chips are in.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it, i've never went well when many people sitting out, it's incredible, 9 players on table and only 3 playing.....for me it really difficult, i dont know what do when happens it....sometimes i try stay patience but isnt enough. if someone has some advice, would be great for me.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's all based on your relative table position.

If you have 2 sitters to your left....great! bang away on their blinds. if you have 1 or 2 real players to your left, then you have to adjust to their style.

if I have a real player to my left who seems straightforward and he is blocking my access to the sitting out blinds I will make a lot of min raises. This gives me max return on investment while risking little of my stack. If you start to think he is 3betting you light, then tighten up your opening range, and then 4bet him back....

M

misko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If tou are short play only the good hand,if you have a big stack you can play agressive...

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a tournament then try play aggressive - raise every hand and try to get blinds...

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've lost so many times this way, now I try to play my game normally without fluster me, just trying to catch the villain and with more caution since in these situations the players are looser

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play as if they arent even there.

gattusoleon

gattusoleon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
inm.six.mas.the.most..imortant.is.have.a.looser.to.side....

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thought I would throw this out there since the change was made in a recent software update this morning. Carbon has now implemented changes to their software that boot the sitouts from the game after 10 minutes. Not sure if you play at Carbon or not, but it sounds like it could help since you are on the subject of sitouts. Other members have pretty much covered everything and given some sound advice. I know the scenario you speak of very well, and unfortunately you have to open your game up when basically playing 4 handed. And if you aren't in a good position to be attacking the sitouts, it just makes things that much harder. Assuming you not severely short stacked, you could tighten up and just let the 3 other players attack each other and the dead blinds until the bubble bursts. Especially since the sitouts should be almost blinded out by this point in any game.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thought I would throw this out there since the change was made in a recent software update this morning. Carbon has now implemented changes to their software that boot the sitouts from the game after 10 minutes. Not sure if you play at Carbon or not, but it sounds like it could help since you are on the subject of sitouts. Other members have pretty much covered everything and given some sound advice. I know the scenario you speak of very well, and unfortunately you have to open your game up when basically playing 4 handed. And if you aren't in a good position to be attacking the sitouts, it just makes things that much harder. Assuming you not severely short stacked, you could tighten up and just let the 3 other players attack each other and the dead blinds until the bubble bursts. Especially since the sitouts should be almost blinded out by this point in any game.

This is pretty much my strategy now.

Dont get loose wait for your chance and you will still get your part from the outsitters.

As blinds rises play your normal play and you will be in good position for rest of tournament.

You dont win a tournament in 10 minutes.

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always tend to be more aggressive in these situations and steal all the blinds I can from the sitters.

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
steal as many blinds u can.
I had a tournament today I played with one max of 2 players, the rest of the table sitout. very quickly with 2k did 6k ,(later change table)
a lot of aggression but careful.