How do you play pocket JJ under the gun ?

D

DansAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play JJ under the gun ?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on the circumstances of course but in your average situation, min-click open... :wink:

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is only a raise to play correctly, the position does not allow other moves.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open raise or shove if you are on a short 10bb stack

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just a thought but you may want to consider playing it as part of a hand range instead of a specific hand, with a focus on a combination of position, BB stack,table image and table dynamics. Otherwise you can simply play it according to your position "under the gun".

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ utg

hello. I think JJ is one of the worst hands to play UTG, I open tribet and wait to see the flop. If any player goes allin pre flop I don't pay.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will open raise normally and control the pot if I don't have the advantage over the opponent's range at postflop.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Raise between 2 and 3 BBs preflop. Watch how other players will respond to your raise. If no one is too aggressive, chances are everyone is looking to see the flop. So you have Aces with other medium or even high cards. KQ - JT and maybe lower pairs than you. Remember, a small pair can become a three-handed hand and knock you out too. If you don't see a higher card on the flop, raise aggressively and watch. If someone is aggressive, defend your stack.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, pocket JJs are the most awkward hand to play from early and middle positions! It seems to me that many people overestimate her strength and very often lose big pots with her! I think that if you have a super short stack, then you should play it through all-in, and in all other situations just through a raise, but if your raise gets a push, then you need to act according to the situation and the type of opponent, but most likely you need will pass! Good luck at the tables!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a pair of JJs in early position, I open with a min-raise.

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is either 3bet
either this call doesn't count JJ is very endowed with a pocket I'll go Alyn only if I'm low on chips

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Pair of jacks, no matter the position, you have to play them very carefully

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I treat it like a small pair (Hockey Sticks, e.g) because is what JJ is... A small pair.

Open raise, and depending against who I´m playing and my Stack size i can 3-bet light (But notice even 72off can make me 3-bet lights).

JJ is as powerful as 99 and TT, however many players play it like AA and KK.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the same way as QQ, TT, 99, AK or AQ. Aggressive play but being cautious.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like to play them strong unless someone is going to get out of line. Position sucks and you can't commit to the hand.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
just call (limp) and see what's happening , try to see a flop , then re-decision :)

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always play very aggressively with such a hand. I think that aggressive play gives more chances to succeed, but of course there are different situations and there is no single scenario.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
JJ is a difficult hand. Needs raise 3 to all in.Fear is obligatory up to the river.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't have a lot of possibilities of how to play JJ in ugt. I used to play with a 3.5 bb and validate ranges if i have reraise. Based on experience this is the only effective way to have a positive outcome. In deep stack or near the bubble sometimes you have to fold this hand in this position.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i will raise of course......but not too much.......if i raise too much all player will fold....but if someone raise i could go all in

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You always have to raise.

Go all in if you are short stack.

A

ALLRUS79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Just under a quarter of the remaining cards in the deck have a rank higher than your pair... So there's a 12% chance you're beat pre-flop, and if all players dealt a card higher than a jack see the flop you're beat 32% of the time on top.

Alex.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the tournament, if it's a microlimit or a freeroll, then you can just go all in and win or lose if the opponent gets something. And if this is an expensive tournament, then it is clear that no one will call such a pot with low pairs, so raise-call if the opponents themselves bet

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
JJ-99 with UTG - I play pretty much the same with all these pairs!!!