How do you play A A?

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3x opening, reraise 3x last raise. Sometimes call from Under the gun.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i play aggressively and sometimes I wait and try not to scare others, still I'm not a fan of that hand

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive

I play AA aggressive as possible.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are always betting for value with AA

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play Aces tight or aggressive?

The short answer is that it depends. It depends on your position at the table as well as the players at the table. My goal is to get a very large pot against 1 other player.

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I vary my play a lot with AA. If there is a raise in front definitely All In. Depending on other players I might slow play the Aces and try to catch someone and get a big payout. Of course the big reward could turn into a loss when those Aces get cracked.

M

Mohamed reda bouzzroud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just raise 2 to 3 BB and wait, I never go all in preflop, AA is a great hand but it is not a perfect one. some players prefer to play agressively cuz that makes most players with speculative hands or small suited hands fold and it raises ur chances of winning the pot

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually always play AA aggressively during any game to flush out any weaker cards in the hand. I've had AA a lot of times and on many occasions they've gotten beat, always try to get those marginal hands out of the round preflop.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always depends on the people at the table and your position..
Usually aggressive is the way to go.. but if you have a table full of tight arses.. I sometimes make a smaller raise to build the pot then fire aggressively (depending on the flop)+(my position)

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who tells you that the way to play AA is all in, big raise, sneaky slow, or any other ABC formula does not understand the game. Run away fast and ignore their advice.

The proper way to play AA depends on many things, position, prior action, stack sizes, player types, your table image, cash or tournament, and more stuff that I'm not good or smart enough to think of right now. We've all seen players that can open with an all in with a full and fresh buy in stack and get 3 callers, because everyone else at the tale knows the player is FOS. We've also seen players that make a raise that is 25% of a buy in and that results in everyone folding because everyone knows the only raise Mr. Supertight ever made was with AA.

Someone suggested you ideally want to get heads up and all in. That is generally true. But you might be short stacked in a tournament and be happy to attempt a triple up or go home. In a cash game, you might want to attempt to get all in vs an inconsequential short stack and heads up in a huge side pot vs the table big stack.

You almost always want to raise or re-raise with AA, but not always. If you think your opponent would fold to a re-raise because of your tight image, and you are already sure you will be heads up against a big stack, a call of his pre-flop raise might be the best way to take his entire stack, because he will not put you on AA. A few times there has been a raise, and I call with AA and lots of action behind me because I've seen a player ready to push his entire stack in on a re-raise behind me.

The one thing you have to be at peace with is that AA does not mean you deserve to win the pot. Even if your all in were called by 72off, you'll still lose 12% of the time. As with all hands, there is a trade off of being willing to accept the risk of a loss vs the reward of a big profit. Sometimes you'll opt for the larger potential reward and get slapped down. It doesn't mean you played it wrong. As long as you had long term expected value in your favor, you did the right thing, so move on to the next hand.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Two aces at first glance look very strong. And you can and should play them aggressively. But I still play with caution. Once I was beaten by three deuces.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Tried limping with pocket Rockets , most times didn't get action or I got too much action forcing me to fold . I have to learn when limping with AA can be more profitable . Untill then , I keep on raising them and re-raising them , but not so much so as not to get the desired action :)

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aces are super push all in preflop tourney and slow cash.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost Always aggressive but sometimes in a tricky mode like limp/all-in or just call and flop pot bet.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I have AA my goal is always to get it all in. The slower you play them the less chance you have of doing this as the bet sizing wouldn't always make sense. But if you play them fast it's easier to get all the money in the middle.

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play Aces tight or aggressive?
You've got great suggestions and advice, you're gonna have to mix it up as well too. You don't wanna be predictable, so raise in the early stages in the tourney just like any other hand. Now something you can implicate in the later stages when the blinds are big is a min raise with AA to trap, because you'll get people with weaker hands to re-raise jam in on you and you can snap off. Sure you aren't a favorite in a multi-way pot with AA or if you're on the money bubble for "life changing" money then a pre-flop fold to 4 players all-in might be the way to go, but again generally speaking you can't be passive and if you lose with rockets(AA) is there really a better hand to lose with?

Good luck!

Last edited:
R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA always plays aggressively! If you don't raise, give you free rounds to your opponent, which can be fatal for you! Typical example, circles check or call, and showdown: the opponent has a straight or flush.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If I'm playing full ring against mostly good players there are a few situations there i almost never 3-bet with AA:

If someone raises in EP and I'm also in EP. Say UTG raise and I'm UTG+2 I often just call the raise.

Why? Because I don't 3-bet with bad cards in that spot and have to balance my range so it doesn't telegraph KK or AA. It also have the additional advantage that if one or more players re-raise later I can go all-in and it doesn't matter if they know what I have: I still win a big pot even if they fold.

Against unknown or bad players I get as much money in the pot PF as I can (that is how much I think they would call me with).

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive preflop and cautiously post flop. Best starting hand but not invisible. Seen so many players (including myself) lose because they are unable to fold when they know they are beat after the flop!

M

Mohamed reda bouzzroud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never All in preflop and out of position. I have lost way too many hands that way