duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What do you do when the variance it's destroying you? You do the right plays, right moves, right reads on your opponents ranges and you consistently run bad and loose much more than you were suppost to won.

What it's your strategies to managed your bankroll, your mindset...?
Do you play fewer and lower buy-ins? Or the opposite? Go for higher buy-ins? You take a break? How long?

I've been managing Tilt really well this last year, but this lasts months I'm consistently running bad (but I'm making the RIGHT decisions, and reading well my opponents).

Just today I was really ahead in equity agains't my villans on 10 big important hands in tournaments and lost them all to bad beats. Spots like you have AKs the villan has A5o and hits his 5 on the river. The other game today the BTN shoved 60bb in a $5.50 tourney, the BB had 2bb left and I'm on the SB (80bb) with KQs elect to call the shove (since he was a super loose opponent playing with garbage and was clearly trying to steal the bounty. He had Q5o, and hits his 5 right in the turn. :rolleyes:

I've been playing for quite sometime and I know variance, so I know that this situations are going to keep happening, but in the long run I'm making the right calls and still losing...

Any tips of more advanced online poker players out there to managed your mindset and your bankroll during downswing's?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The variance in MTTs especially big, fast ones online is brutal.

Here are some general tips (both for MTTs and Cash) and a lesson that even an expert player - in his best game at much lower stakes than his usual - must be careful with his bankroll:

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It was extremely difficult, but I managed to find the strength and remember the true nature of poker. Create basic charts for different situations, find a strong regular whose play will motivate you and go down two limits and start playing looser.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You mentioned a lot of the remedies yourself allready. Playing less, playing lower buyins and also playing lower variance games. Like SnGs instead of MTTs, or small field MTTs instead of large field MTTs. And of course downswings are the times, where its most important to follow bankroll management. Moving up after losing is a classic recipe for busting your bankroll. And its also a sign, you are a gambler rather than a player. So if someone find themself doing this, its highly recommended to decide on a poker budget and set deposit limits in accordance with it.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with Fundiver199, there is nothing more important than finding the correct level of buy-ins to protect your bankroll, If you let yourself believe you can win your way out of "Tilt" then you are lost already, If you need to, there is nothing wrong in stepping down a level and going back to basics.
Stop using "Favourite Hands" or "Lucky Hands" because they don't work, I have lost count how many times I have lost games with A/K, A/Q and A/J Suited or not, but if I let that influence the way I play I would never play them again, It doesn't, But I am more cautious when I do play them.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Break for 2 - 3 days and focus on studying the game. Works best for me.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play less and study more. Review your hands see if you have any "style drift" and make sure you are getting the icm right.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I appreciate all the responses. I will try a little bit of everything. I already set up a day of the week just rest, review and study and not play poker at all. And I will try to be very severe with my buy-ins!

Thanks!

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question. Just keep plugging away. Ignore the bad results as they have no bearing on future wins or placements. I had a bad run there myself over the last couple of months. Did not feel I was playing poorly, was not getting the rub of the green. Cashed in 3rd in the Monaco freeroll on 888 last night out of a field of 1600. So just believe and your day will come.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Personally, I step back and review my game a little bit.
Then, if it's necesary I play lower buy in games. I tried to start playing $5.5 games twice, and I had to return to $3.3 and $4.4. I think that play bigger buy ins would be a terrible decision.
Also I try to see in which games I'm not winning, and if it's due to the variance or the structure doesn't fit well to me.
For example, I don't get too much ITM in KO mtts, so I try to play them just if I get a ticket through a sat.
And keep studying!

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
If I'm not rested, if I have some worries that bother me, if I feel that I don't have a mindset that day/even days for poker - I'm not going to play anything, taking a break!
If you are in a downswing "period" ofc you're not going to go to higher buy-ins..

Take a break for a few days - forget everything that happened, if you think about those losses, you are not going "up"...

Always play for the amount you are ready to lose, i.e. imagine that you don't already have it (gone) - concentrate on the game and enjoy!

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
What do you do when the variance it's destroying you? You do the right plays, right moves, right reads on your opponents ranges and you consistently run bad and loose much more than you were suppost to won.

Do you play fewer and lower buy-ins? Or the opposite? Go for higher buy-ins? You take a break? How long?

I've been managing Tilt really well this last year, but this lasts months I'm consistently running bad (but I'm making the RIGHT decisions, and reading well my opponents).

Just today I was really ahead in equity agains't my villans on 10 big important hands in tournaments and lost them all to bad beats. Spots like you have AKs the villan has A5o and hits his 5 on the river. The other game today the BTN shoved 60bb in a $5.50 tourney, the BB had 2bb left and I'm on the SB (80bb) with KQs elect to call the shove (since he was a super loose opponent playing with garbage and was clearly trying to steal the bounty. He had Q5o, and hits his 5 right in the turn. :rolleyes:

I've been playing for quite sometime and I know variance, so I know that this situations are going to keep happening, but in the long run I'm making the right calls and still losing...

Any tips of more advanced online poker players out there to managed your mindset and your bankroll during downswing's?
When I recognize a bad long downswing, I take a break from realmoney poker. In that case I only play CC games and spend my recreational time with other stuff I like .
For example playing strategy/trading games like Anno 1800.
Think I will get back into egoshooter soon... I bought a PS4 controller which is also compatible with PC. I don't own a console anymore ..

But as soon as I have won enough at poker I will get the new Battlefield Game..
This month so far :400$
It's a start but only a fraction of the prize of a gaming PC:D

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I recognize a bad long downswing, I take a break from realmoney poker. In that case I only play CC games and spend my recreational time with other stuff I like .
For example playing strategy/trading games like Anno 1800.
Think I will get back into egoshooter soon... I bought a PS4 controller which is also compatible with PC. I don't own a console anymore ..

But as soon as I have won enough at poker I will get the new Battlefield Game..
This month so far :400$
It's a start but only a fraction of the prize of a gaming PC:D
Some solid downswing managing by u it seems!

Moving down to limits where u cant loose any money anymore. Is that the counterpart of "move up where they respect ur raises"? 😅 "Move down to where u cant loose any money anymore"? 😂

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Some solid downswing managing by u it seems!

Moving down to limits where u cant loose any money anymore. Is that the counterpart of "move up where they respect ur raises"? 😅 "Move down to where u cant loose any money anymore"? 😂
I suppose 🤣

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I know you wanted more advanced poker players, I hope advanced noobs count :p lol Hey Bruno <3

Poker is a game that has bad runs, nothing you can do except play your best. <3 I think you have to just shrug it off, and give thanks when you run hot.

I also think having a group of poker friends you can discuss this with is very helpful. They will remind you of how amazing you play this game :) and tell you where you suck. lol THIS helps greatly as well if we listen and adjust, we become better. (insert hello to Pedro <3 Hiiiii Pedro) I have played constantly for almost 3.5 years now. That, plus discussing my games with genuine people by far helps me the greatest out of a slump.

I am pretty lucky though, I can just drop the bad beat and either remember any stack with the right opportunity is capable of getting right back in it again. I am also then excited to have a chance at my favourite game, the best comeback EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol Or if I am out that I will have confidence in my sunrun is coming back. So really it is prespective <3 and Bruno, if there is one thing I know :) the way you play, is guaranteed to run hot more than cold <3 You got this :)

Last edited:
christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually stop for a few days or only play freerolls, as it reduces the losses in the bankroll.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know you wanted more advanced poker players, I hope advanced noobs count :p lol Hey Bruno <3

Poker is a game that has bad runs, nothing you can do except play your best. <3 I think you have to just shrug it off, and give thanks when you run hot.

I also think having a group of poker friends you can discuss this with is very helpful. They will remind you of how amazing you play this game :) and tell you where you suck. lol THIS helps greatly as well if we listen and adjust, we become better. (insert hello to Pedro <3 Hiiiii Pedro) I have played constantly for almost 3.5 years now. That, plus discussing my games with genuine people by far helps me the greatest out of a slump.

I am pretty lucky though, I can just drop the bad beat and either remember any stack with the right opportunity is capable of getting right back in it again. I am also then excited to have a chance at my favourite game, the best comeback EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol Or if I am out that I will have confidence in my sunrun is coming back. So really it is prespective <3 and Bruno, if there is one thing I know :) the way you play, is guaranteed to run hot more than cold <3 You got this :)
Advanced Captains you mean! haha <3 Hi Billi!!

Thanks, it really is about perspective, like you said. These last weeks I took so many bad beats it feels like I have a emotional shield from now on :ROFLMAO: Like I'm always expecting that 2 outs in the river hitting to the villan and making trips xD.
But everyday I try to learn and improve mindset since it's the most important thing to have. I appreciate all the responses, I will use every tip I can and will comeback and crush that variance!

s2
Cheers!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

/QUOTE]

If i have lost say 25% of my bankroll in a downturn I do drop the buy in amounts. This for one allows me to survive the downswing, and i can jump up levels once I start coming out of the down swing. I do also tend to not play as many tables at the same time.

QUOTE]

Mindset it something you should work on before the downswing and even in a upswing. I mediate often but also listed to meditation music while playing. I also learned alot about poker and variance and know it will turn. This has allowed me to not tilt much at all anymore. I will roll my eyes a lot though.

I get you on this. I am in the middle of a downturn at this moment. Since the beginning of the year, I am losing over 70% of the coin flips I have been in and if I am favorite when the cards are shown just winning 25% of them. This is just one of a few stats not going my way big time. The thing is there are bad beats and there are just unlucky times. They will turn. We just need to make sure we don't fall into the trap of trying to make things happen. Your 1 hand is a bit off that you talked about. Yes, he was super loose and trying for a bounty, but you called a 80BB shove with KQs. While I know the idea in bounty events is to collect as much as you can a 80BB gamble is not really the best of moves. While I can understand why you made the call what could happen next is you call KJs or QJo or even worse. Be careful to now slop over the edge of making good plays into questionable ones.

What I do when in a downturn is use it to my advantage. Its a great time to review your game and see what you may be doing wrong or if it is 100% variance. When in downturn we tend to make small changes that don't help us in the long term. When reviewing my latest downturn, I found I was making small errors in adjustments just last week. What has happened there is I suddenly was doing better. I was actually getting some really good stack going. Sadly bad timing or the negative variance hit me and I did not get as deep as i would have liked but I can say I am playing better and know my time will come. Once the bad luck runs out i will be in a great position to do a lot better. What it has also done is built up some confidence in my game. Knowing that I fixed a few small issues has improved my mindset and thats a really good thing..

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello. I returned to this topic because it is familiar to me. There is a lot of advice, but I want to add from myself - Jared Tendler. Find his book: The Mental Game of Poker. He really opens up these issues widely. You can search for it on YouTube, just one piece of advice in such a matter is not enough. Good luck.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in a funk for more than 3 months. Dropped me 18 buy ins from my peak (cash games), which I had never done before. I don't even play that many hands. Probably averaging under 100 hands per day. During this stretch I even made 3 misclick mistakes that cost me big. I often multitask, such as when I am doing dishes or carrying my baby to sleep. Well, once I accidentally hit call when I meant to fold cuz the phone screen was wet and it misread my click. Another time, I put in a $6 raise instead of a $0.60 raise. Both happened while the opponent had full houses LMAO. I forget what the third time was.

Anyway, besides running into straight flushes twice when I had the nut flush, and at least 5 times straights vs. flushes, and at least three times flopping FHs and losing, I also made mistakes of calling all ins when the other guy caught runner runner. I was like nah it can't happen again. And it damn sure did.

What snapped me out of it was switching to a low stake tournament. One of those timed ones where if you last 30 minutes, you win whatever percentage of your stake is to the overall number of chips is. Lo and behold my luck changed right then. Can't explain it. Maybe a switch of mindsight from cash to tourney then back to cash worked.

Surely, I have still made some mistakes that cost me, but the incredibly bad luck hands have been much more infrequent. They still happen but overall I have made back about half of my downswing now in about three weeks.