how do you manage downswings?

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ughhhh downswing suck lol even one days worth... On a nice weekend full of coolers online and live

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends where my downswing is at and what I think the problem is.
if the downswing at the brick and mortar and is because of bad cards I take a break from the Brick and mortar and play a lot of online playing the .02/.04 NL. This way I can if I develop any bad habiats and if just arun of bad cards it gives me the confidence and think just be patient.
now if it is downswing that might be I am just getting burnt out from playing poker type on thing.. I take a break from it and do some of my other hobbies. and dont think about poker till I get the urge to play again.

kltpzyxMrM

kltpzyxMrM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you running bad due to poor play or bad beats..it's hard to say sometimes. It's difficult to be completely objective about your own play. Try and set yourself a Loss Limit of a certain number of buy-ins for a day. The amount/number depends on your bankroll and normal volume of SNGs played, but that seems to work for me. Sometimes if I think I'm getting too spewy in SNGs, I'll blast off some points(FPP/VIP) buying into MTTs. I find this causes me to gear down and then I can go back to sngs. If the opposite is true and your are being too passive or even nitty, I'd just quit for a few hours or the day.

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should set a stop-loss number. I mean 10-20 buyins down on S&G´s is not that uncommon (that´s why BR management suggest 50-100 buyins, even 200bi for larger fields) but if after that you get on tilt then the amount will increase a lot more, so having a stop-loss amount set (like 10-15 or w/e) then when you reach that amount just stop for the day and save you to blow your BR.
I agree with logan about having a stop point, because this happens to me too. Im playing the hands i should be but they still lose. I make a hero call and the guy sucks out, or i just play aces and they get cracked. I get mad and play worse because of it. Sometimes its better to just stop and do something else for a bit:jd4: :jd4: