How do you learn poker? books, or playing?

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should study the game(books, blogs, forums, etc.) but also practice it often. Both are important aspects of improving your game. The best form of practice is for real money but freerolls are fine if your short on funds.

You should also carefully anayze your play in key situations of tournaments such as when you get knocked out or lose a big pot. Ask your self things like "could I have waited a bit longer to make a move?" Or "were the odds really favorable to call such a big bet with that flush draw?"

D

dear7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way it is reading and practicing at the same time. Play freeroll for improve your skills. I am playing pokerstars freeroll for one month and I think I have a progress.

T

t419bone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hand after hand after hand... thats the best way to learn. practice make perfect.

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I learn from my own mistakes cause I often know when I commit them. I concentrate on their improving. But I don't mind watching some videos like DougPolk play (currently I watch his videos) or other videos with comments of real pros ( I enjoy it very much). I get the joy listening to how the intelligent and high-level poker must be played.

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think from playing and learning what i did wrong is the best way

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned playing poker from courses and watching the pros playing and streaming on twitch.tv, also i followed every EPT & WPT. But mainly i learned a lot from watching the pros streaming. They analyze some of the hands they're talking to the viewers answering as much questions as they can. As well i've practiced first in lot of free-rolls to see how i'm playing and analyze the hands i lost. And than i got to the business :)

G

georgall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read books, watch video and play, play,play...

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think that i learned this game yet.This is a process.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's important to play and watch a lot of poker, start playing many freeroll tournaments before you start playing with your own money. Be patient and think of your bankroll.

D

Drefps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way would be practice. As long as you know the basic rules and understand poker you should be fine. All you need to do is practice practice practice. Online is probably easier in the beginning especially freerolls so you don’t stress and get upset from losing.

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn is practice. I also found that this site is very useful, I've learned a lot from reading the posts and articles shared here. It's hard to change your own style of play but I'm trying to get better