How do you learn hand reading other players

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having trouble learning to read other players hands how to put them on hands i am watching videos and twitch to learn this but if i don't understand what it is they are doing i will never learn this. telling me what you think they have isn't doing me any good if i don't know how they are doing it what they are seeing that is what i need i need to know what they are seeing or doing to come up with this information. Does anyone know of any good books or videos to watch that will teach me what to look for or give me some exercises to do to help me learn this. anything will help thanks

iamtoldurghey

iamtoldurghey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having trouble learning to read other players hands how to put them on hands i am watching videos and twitch to learn this but if i don't understand what it is they are doing i will never learn this. telling me what you think they have isn't doing me any good if i don't know how they are doing it what they are seeing that is what i need i need to know what they are seeing or doing to come up with this information. Does anyone know of any good books or videos to watch that will teach me what to look for or give me some exercises to do to help me learn this. anything will help thanks

Definitely upswing poker and old dan harrington books .play some heads up sngs or micro cash helps get a feel .

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you must play against the same players many time , so u can read their movements, recognize when they bluff. If u play against the same players always and note them , u will have a bigger opportunity to read their hands. Good luck

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was a great question... Id also say repetition with the same players. Take notes!!!

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be simple. Do you know what you're doing? probably not - so I ask you - how do you want to know what opponents are doing?

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look here:
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

It starts with starting ranges (with what hands at what position do you fold/play).
Take notes on opponents (or use a HUD) to see what they play with, beware of 'idiots/pro's' that play with 86o from UTG and make money.
example: an opponent that only plays 5% of all hands will likely have 99+, AQs+.

ddg373

ddg373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reading hands

It is best to not worry about reading other players hands starting out new to the game. You should focus on best possible hand and draw with each turn. Next is look for playing styles, 'loose aggressive, passive aggressive, tight aggressive, loose passive, tight passive, ect....', to see what a players range is, 'the possible hands they may be holding'. When you understand this, you'll have more of a read on what your opponent is possible holding.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think chapter 22 or 23 in the theory of poker covers the basics of card reading.. it was the 2+2 book, but can be found easily on the internet for free if you google the theory of poker pdf

i would get familiar with ranges. if you get comfortable with your own ranges you can start guessing other people's ranges, as well. download snapshove and for free you get like 30 questions or something a day... probably the best free way to expand knowledge on ranges (and have a list of shoving ranges.. can pay and get calling ranges, as well) because its accessible on the go.. anywhere.. all you need is a few minutes of your time and your phone.. (it gives you something to do while you take a dump :p)

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think hand reading comes with time and study. I like to look at certain spots I get into and try to deduce if there were any clues that I missed in real time.

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will help you quite a lot to familiarize yourself with the concepts Absolute Hand Strength and Relative Hand Strength.

In an Absolute sense, a flush is a very strong hand. But if the board is paired, somebody could potentially have a full house. The Relative Strength of a flush is diminished when it is no longer one of the strongest possible hands.

Often a player's actions will reveal the Relative Strength of their hand, and you can use that to narrow down their likely holdings.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of practice.

Consider a play money table for that kind of practice ( because you will actually want to see their hand to confirm your read - so you will be calling a lot for the loss just to see "how right" you were. I guess a play money table where they are not shoving every hand.

But that should help give you some grounding.

Good luck !

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to know what a player types preflop opening ranges are from each position and what their cold calling ranges are from each position also 3bet ranges and call vs 3bet ranges.And this can be learn't from working on your own default ranges.Once you begin to understand those ranges you can begin to put other player types on ranges.Ranges are quite easy to find if you do a quick search.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember with what hands opponents play and will already know how to play against them...

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a HUD and decent stats on someone I like to go through hand histories and try to read their hand as the action unfolds. It's great practice and it also is a decent way to review hands so you get two birds with one stone so to speak

L

lantz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is hud a software program for computers ive read books but never used software Thanks

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can effectively read other players hand only if you have been playing against him for a significant number of times. If you are playing against him for just a few times i guess your chances of getting a good read is very minimal.

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mano, I like to make some great exercise and that is helping me a lot on youtube pokerstars itself provides the ft of the series tournaments, SCOOP, WCOOP, among others, open letters, I get an insulating lap tape on my monitor on the letters and try to decipher through his plays, for example, I see the player shoving under the gun, there already imagine he has 99+ pairs, AKs, AQs, and so on, has helped me a lot, then try this and tell me here what you think of this exercise. glglglgl

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands