How do you guess when your opponent bluffing?

M

MakeUcryalot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play online I usually try to categorize players based on things like what ranges they call, tendency to bet with air and try to get a feel for their all-in equity. That being said, the only really reliable tell for online besides being a predator is making sense of an opponents story. If a villain check-calls a bet on a KcTc9c board, checks the 8d turn and min raises the 2h on the river then their usually trying to steal dead money. You need to follow the story preflop all the way to the river to get a grasp on the cards they are (or aren't) holding.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, don't forget that for every tell of a bluff, that can be used as a disguise for a monster to make you think that it is a bluff..... Thus getting you to call and get trapped and lose.

EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'What do you have left?' - most people asking this on the turn or river are bluffing.

H

hoffs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the skill level and whether you're playing online poker or not. In online poker it is a lot harder to call when someone is bluffing as there are a lot less tells. Also new players tend to bluff more on bad river or a flop if they invested quite a bit into the pot already.

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another suggestion is to watch the opponents breathing. If they take small shallow breaths, You need to do some reconnaissance work before you can perfect the art of catching the breathing bluff. Study each opponent when they make a call. Watch how they breath and make a note of how they breath when they make a call, bet and are strong on the river. Regardless if they win, was there hand strong? If so how did they breath while waiting for the call/raise. Bank this information. Next, study them when they bluff and muck. Watch what they do when they raise someone all in and during that period while they wait for the call/fold.. how do they breath. Once you have seen how they react you will know what to do when faced with action toward your hand. One of the easiest tells to spot in poker is the holding in and forcing shallow breaths. If you notice your opponent tensing up and controlling his breathing, he is weak or bluffing/fearful of a call. of course this does not always work however body language and the art of studying behavior is the best way to spot a bluff and the only practical way to crack an opponent live IMO.

There is a video of Scott Siever where he bluffs and covers his mouth against Daniel Negraneu(spelling) when asked later why he covers his mouth he admits its to prevent opponents from monitoring his breathing habits.

Can you pour a link here with this video?

D

diserg1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the right to study the enemy, you can see signs which prompt answer. How the enemy behaves, the sound of his voice, can tell he has good cards or bad.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With online games... Its hard to tell amd you really have to guess. But if you pay attention on how he plays, and you would see if he always bluffs with nothing.
But in pokerstars i would always catch a bluff but ends up losing because the cards on the table would eventually help the bluffer win. Lol

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fairness to pokerstar, it also happens to me a lot.
(when i am the one bluffing and the table makes me win) :):)

vita087

vita087

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a lot, the flop, the hand that you are giving to him, the form of bets, as a handle on the chips away, but mostly the letters.

KOREANLEEGG

KOREANLEEGG

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its about their playstyle. You gotta spectate your opponents a bit, understand their playing. If u succeed in understanding, you will be able to "guess" (as u call it) when some1's bluffing.

C

chubbybuddha

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a lot harder to tell online than offline, but online I dont mind losing a few chips sometimes just to see the other persons hand, to see what they had and what they were prepared to raise with.
You can learn just as much from a losing hand as a winning one

I

ItryhardAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in live game you have to look at body tells and online looking at the HUD and seeing what there VPIP is and know there hand range and go on from there. after flop you look at fold to C-bet and other stats to see if they fold if they hit or miss the flop

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea spending a bit of time at the table and keeping your range tight for the first hour and watching the other players when they bet and play out hands see how they use their body language, breath, talk and ect to help you get a read and even looking at the cards in the showdown to see ho is chasing or howas playing a strong hand from the getgo, studying the human response to stuff is really helpful becaase even the best poker players in the world cant fool biology cuz the body will be nervous is tough situations like playing alot of cash on a hand even whenyour hand is strong even more so when your bluffing

Sum420gt

Sum420gt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me this has always been the biggest negative with online poker, you dont get to physically observe the players, try to pick up on microexpressions and the way they posture themselves. The pitch of their voice, or the gaze in their eyes. That being said i definitely notice that players who bluff tend to do it a lot, so catch them once, than keep an eye on their betting habits very closely.

KOREANLEEGG

KOREANLEEGG

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me this has always been the biggest negative with online poker, you dont get to physically observe the players, try to pick up on microexpressions and the way they posture themselves. The pitch of their voice, or the gaze in their eyes. That being said i definitely notice that players who bluff tend to do it a lot, so catch them once, than keep an eye on their betting habits very closely.

This is kinda true, but this mostly counts for amateur lives. People on higher levels arent as easily read as you describe it.

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if there obviously no possibility of having a better hand than yours its obviously a bluff or a not that good hand. Of course you have to observe the villains matter of playing, but there are so many different actions that predict a bluff that it would burst the thread :D

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live and online there are many tells but history will make your assumptions more accurate at being able to read when they are getting out of line. It is an art to be able to call the overbet bluff instead of paying off the nuts. I think the saying is good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
From his picture in the game, based on his previous actions

L

lvlalaciuca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more experienced player who is bluffing the more unpredictable.
many players are given himself away when bluffing the fetus that relies more or less as usual.
the larger bluff a weak player with so stupid

Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
see

It's just you get to see how he bets according to each letter will appear on the table

wanted2090

wanted2090

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually people bluff on the flop and the river with rather small bets.. On the river they usually just check or bet another small amount.

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Observing their chat we can try to determine a type of players one is.

E

evgenii1788

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play online . And protezhenii whole game watching the players , their style , Range starting hands and how they bet in different situations . And I enjoyed it very much helps to recognize a bluff .

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
very nice analysis, it will help me pretend I am bluffing when I get a very strong hand.
I will do all those things you guys mention and hope you get convinced about the bluff! :D