Chips
how to deal with game variance?

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find you own balance, that's it)
And, of course, you can study probability theory, or just find a few lessons on youtube, that will help you to understand - you can loose for hundred times, but statistically with good strategy - you will win more than loose in infinity attempts)

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can't really deal with variance, all you can do is have proper bankroll management and continue to play well. Remove emotions from your game and strive to continually put yourself in winning situations and always work on your game both at the tables and off.

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find you own balance, that's it)
And, of course, you can study probability theory, or just find a few lessons on youtube, that will help you to understand - you can loose for hundred times, but statistically with good strategy - you will win more than loose in infinity attempts)
thanks for the tip

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't really deal with variance, all you can do is have proper bankroll management and continue to play well. Remove emotions from your game and strive to continually put yourself in winning situations and always work on your game both at the tables and off.
thanks for the tip

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually by yelling a bunch of expletives at my laptop and slamming my fists down on my desk... :D

There is plenty of inspiration on how to deal with variance on Youtube. Thy searching "Phil Helmuth on tilt" :D :D :D

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The variance of the game can't be controlled or predicted, you can only reduce its impact on your bankroll. To do this, have at least 100 bytes in reserve for your limit, and you can also avoid playing too large pots, winning and losing a little at a time. But the most correct option is just to play the right game and make the right decisions no matter what, everything will come back to you at a distance.:)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's to concentrate and not to play only cash game so much.

If You play for about 5 hours, do a tournament spare time.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's to concentrate and not to play only cash game so much.

If You play for about 5 hours, do a tournament spare time.

Tournaments tend to have a lot more variance if I remember correctly, might not want to go to that if you're struggling with variance. With cash games you get to stay at one hand and with the same stack size a lot more so you can often see a spot multiple times in a long session, that tens to lead to reduced variance in the long run

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well when the variance starts to bother me, within my limits of screens I take a day out of the week to review my moves

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to accept variance as part of the game, something you can't do without. Let go of all your thoughts before playing. Get in one flow with yourself and just do what you have to.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have encountered so many bad beats and they don't affect me anymore. I also never forget that I have coolered so many opponents so everything's fine!:D

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As other said, you need to accept that bad beats happen all the time and use proper bankroll management so that you don't bust when variance is kicking your ass.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understand that this is part of the set :driver:Victory - Defeat - Variance - Victory (there are 2 wins here because it's a profitable player chart:D)

Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The variance is dealt with with study volume and a little rest.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how to deal with game variance?

I don't recommend treating real depression yourself. If the problem is in the game, then you should stop playing for a while or not take any money losses seriously. Lost and okay. So it's easier to make money.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One way to handle negative variance is to review your hands and make sure that you are not making mistakes. If you find leaks- fix them, and if you do not- get back to work.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm depressed, I try not to play poker. Studying poker theory or playing tennis. If depression occurs during the game, there is no need to fight it because the game itself ends very quickly. Especially when the situation does not develop logically or fortune throws the villain several necessary cards (four on a straight or flush)

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lose everything and leave the room for a couple of days...